We need to face facts | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We need to face facts

After we beat Nebraska in '84, we lost the next four games including a shut out loss to Rutgers. We are turning the corner. Recruits want to play for Dino (and why not?). We have been in every game this year (including this one). Transformations do not happen overnight. Patience.

For all those worried about losing our 3 senior linebackers, today showed why the loss won't be big. They are great young men, just too small, and slow to play at this level. Hopefully the young men Dino has recruited, and Shy will give us size, and speed which is lacking among our current linebackers. Better days are ahead, but we need players like Keith Bulluck, Morlon Greenwood at those positions. Add Safeties like Donovin Darius, and Tebucky Jones to Scoop, and you have the start of a real defense.

Just wondering out loud here. Curious to see.
I'm wondering if the majority of the people who are hopeful that Dino is the man to turn this around, are over the age of 36, and if the majority of the ones who have given up on Dino, or think we are not improving are under 36. I'm wondering if the ones who grew up in the era of instant gratification, just can't stomach the fact that a college football team, almost without exception, requires 3-4 years to turn around, while the older fans, 36 and over, have more patience.
I'm not saying this is the case, but I'm wondering if there is any truth to it. I know that myself (40), and my closest friends at work, who are also over 35, feel very hopeful, while the guys I work with in their 20's want Dino fired, because he isn't winning at least 8 games, and scoring 40 + a game in year 2.
I'm 25 and love Dino and hope he is the one to bring us back to the top 25 again. And I hope he never leaves once he accomplishes that.

I really believe we”ll be better in a couple of years and things are pointing up but we are not a good team right now. The Clemson win, the offensive stats, and the records being broken hide the fact we’re still a bottom basement team.

I know some people like clinging to that Clemson win but that’s like Rutgers clinging to their National Championship. It’s what losers do. Upsets happen all the time in CFB. If we had 1 win this season and it was the Clemson win some people would still point to that as how we turned the corner.

All the close games we’ve had are meaningless if we lose them all. Lots of football games are close, that’s what makes people watch them. What it means is we aren’t good.

375px-Ali-Spinks_2-15-1978.jpg

Douglas-Tyson.jpg

For all those worried about losing our 3 senior linebackers, today showed why the loss won't be big. They are great young men, just too small, and slow to play at this level. Hopefully the young men Dino has recruited, and Shy will give us size, and speed which is lacking among our current linebackers. Better days are ahead, but we need players like Keith Bulluck, Morlon Greenwood at those positions. Add Safeties like Donovin Darius, and Tebucky Jones to Scoop, and you have the start of a real defense.

Who is our last NFL linebacker? Hogue and Smith kinda made it? Can’t remember any studs since Bulluck and Greenwood though. McClain made it and was solid but he was a pass rushing DE at his best in college.

I’m not worried about losing anybody until we start pumping out first round draft picks again. Nobody is that good, otherwise.

After we beat Nebraska in '84, we lost the next four games including a shut out loss to Rutgers. We are turning the corner. Recruits want to play for Dino (and why not?). We have been in every game this year (including this one). Transformations do not happen overnight. Patience.

Thank you.

Many will look back, and wonder why they ever had doubt. I just hope fans stick around. The true ones will. Next year will be fun, and I expect a solid season.

Year 4, and 5 will be the jackpot if Dino is just given time. I hope that those in charge know that, and believe they do. The forum AD's can have their freak outs all they want.

Dino telling everyone to stay was weird. It implied people take off at the half. Has that ever been an issue unless we are getting crushed? Most of us hit the trough and replenish our beverages. We had a big lead, energy was high. Go make halftime adjustments and stop worrying if Joe from Cicero has early reservations at Coppertop. No one was leaving at half.

Speaking of fans, we did have one drunk guy in my section(I'm sure there were more) running up and down the stairs and almost knocked some 70 year old lady over and was completely oblivious to it...overall I think the fans are showing alright this year...more will come as HCDFB wins...just hopefully not drunk and dumb...a few beers cool, drunk and acting like he was, that is not a good look...Note this was not a response to any post, just saw comments about the fans and adding a general comment.

Agree with everything. One small correction - the shut out to the Girls was the week before Nebraska.

Lots of venting, but important not to let one bad half, a half without your starting QB, who is also your best player, define your season. The big picture is that this team has gotten better, particularly the offensive line, and that except for yesterday’s glaring second half debacle, team has played with maximum effort and heart.
Coaching staff must see this as a transitional year. There are guys who are redshirting or who have played little who are going to change this program. There’s a DB, for example, who has chance to be dominant. Don’t get hung up on the star ratings. There’s real young talent here, with more on the way. It’s a hard lift, but coaching staff is playing the long game. Team was much more competitive this year than last and expect that to continue.
All that said, I have a funny feeling this team could suck it up and find a way to win its next two games. There are good things happening, despite that awful second half.

Thank you.

Many will look back, and wonder why they ever had doubt. I just hope fans stick around. The true ones will. Next year will be fun, and I expect a solid season.

Year 4, and 5 will be the jackpot if Dino is just given time. I hope that those in charge know that, and believe they do. The forum AD's can have their freak outs all they want.

Nebraska was a flare we shot into the air that told the country we are here. But the real break though came three years later. I think we are closer than 3 years but I see the Clemson game the same way.

Are we good enough that everyone here expected us to win that game yesterday? Have you seen Wake play this year? They have good talent, great speed and a good QB. It is odd that they scored more on us than FSU and Clemson combined but this game was no gimme and probably was the toughest of the final three.

And HCDB exhorting the crowd to get engaged was much needed. So many Wake possessions when the crowd did not turn up the volume. Part of it was the pace but the crowd barely sounded present in the third quarter.

Just wondering out loud here. Curious to see.
I'm wondering if the majority of the people who are hopeful that Dino is the man to turn this around, are over the age of 36, and if the majority of the ones who have given up on Dino, or think we are not improving are under 36. I'm wondering if the ones who grew up in the era of instant gratification, just can't stomach the fact that a college football team, almost without exception, requires 3-4 years to turn around, while the older fans, 36 and over, have more patience.
I'm not saying this is the case, but I'm wondering if there is any truth to it. I know that myself (40), and my closest friends at work, who are also over 35, feel very hopeful, while the guys I work with in their 20's want Dino fired, because he isn't winning at least 8 games, and scoring 40 + a game in year 2.

Our coach said you'd see a big difference between games 4-6 of year 2.

Last edited:
Our coach said you'd see a big difference between games 4-6 in week 2.

The big difference, until yesterday was on defense, not offense. Yesterday's difference was that we were facing our offense, perfectly executed. In a year or two, we'll be doing that to the other teams. Actually, we did it to Wake in the first half.

Did you see it? He wasn't 'calling out' the fans. He told them to stick around. Sheesh. How is that calling out the fans?

Yeah but the implication is he felt like he had to say it because he didn't trust that they'd stick around.

Wow! Really! They beat Wake so they're good? FSU was in a complete free fall when we played them last week and we blew a legit opportunity to get our first W against them since the 60's. Wake coming into this game had lost 4 out of 5. They racked up 40 points in the second half and our D looked completely clueless (as well as in that 1Q when they scored 21 points at ease). Our coaches deserved to be blamed for a horrible game plan defensively. It's like they never saw/prepared for WF's read offense. A total embarrassment. It reminded me (defensively) a few years back when we played GT and lost 55-0 against their wishbone O.

The GT comparison is perfect. I thought the same exact thing.

The big difference, until yesterday was on defense, not offense. Yesterday's difference was that we were facing our offense, perfectly executed. In a year or two, we'll be doing that to the other teams. Actually, we did it to Wake in the first half.

It was beyond sad that we couldn't stop our own offense. Inexcuseable. That's on the coaches. In a year or two the offense will have better personnel, true, (though we won't have a better receiving tandem and starting QB) but the defense will probably still be a Tampa 2. That's not a good thing.

That's you imposing your interpretation. I did not get that. At all. Just rewatched it.

Why did he tell the fans to stick around in the second half? It is not an interpretation. He could've said nothing but he chose to tell the fans there's another half. He was imploring the fans not to leave.

Why did he tell the fans to stick around in the second half? It is not an interpretation. He could've said nothing but he chose to tell the fans there's another half. He was imploring the fans not to leave.
"Imploring". Got it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom