We need to play in big boy pre-season tournaments | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We need to play in big boy pre-season tournaments

Your right but with the ACC being a 15 team conference its tough to get a good preseason tournament each year.
Plus, Boeheim doesn't probably want to play any tournament outside the East Coast after the 2013 Maui tournament.

Hopefully Hopkins with his West Coast ties won't mind more national tournament.

I'm not sure what you mean since we WON in Maui in 2013. I know cause I was there and my profile picture on Facebook was of me standing next to Juli Boeheim with a big smile on both our faces because she INSISTED my friend take the picture with both of us rather than just me snapping her. (We had met a few times at the BE tournament, and she is the nicest person you could want to meet. Coach Hop too. My room was next to his and he was his usual overly modest self and I'm afraid I was rude to Coach Autry because Hop was talking about how wonderful a player Coach Autry was and I told him that he wasn't exactly small potatoes either, for which I got a high 5 from Coach Hop and took my leave.)

Somehow I don't think Mrs B will mind that she has been replaced on FB etc by the pictures of myself with President Obama...

But my point is that we will have to wait probably another 3 seasons before being invited back to Maui. EVERYONE wants to play there and it's just one team per conference per year.

And just to show that my memory is correct, here is the Wikipedia page for the 2013 Maui Tournament with the CHAMPION clearly stated.

2013 Maui Invitational Tournament - Wikipedia

And oh my, speaking of Wikipedia, look at who won the 2015 Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in the Bahamas????? Which I WOULD have attended if I hadn't already been on SS disablity for about 5 months and just couldn't swing financially.

Battle 4 Atlantis - Wikipedia

So the notion that JB is afraid of playing the big tournaments is garbage. Unless you were being facetious, Alsacs. Sorry that the Bahamas is more or less in the Eastern Time Zone.

Just about every pre-season tournament wants an ACC team to participate. It was my understanding that the Conference has established a rotation so everyone gets a chance to play in them. I couldn't begin to tell you the order, but there really is supposed to be one.
Thank you Captain Sensible (no sarcasm meant. But it's ironic that it takes a UVa fan to set the Gloomy Guses here straight.)

The carrier classic was an italian bakery of cream puffs, assorted. Looking at this from the flip side, the upper mud majors , like Illinois St. Why not give them a home/home series? Their coach, Muller, i believe, has a very good point. They, like other upper level mid major teams are left out every year bc of lack of OOC strength. Like Muller said, he made 20 calls to the P5 teams and nothing, crickets. We need to drop some of the patsies like cornell and the gate and give teams like Wichita, Illinois st. , Northern iowa, URI, MTSU, and such a home and home. Why not. Its better for all.

Bite your tongue. I distinctly recall playing a very tough Louisiana Tech team lead by Randy White.

I can't wait for the haters to talk about how we never leave the state of Ny next year.

anyone still spouting that line is an old sports writer who obviously doesn't follow college hoops and is spouting cliches. Like Bob Ryan on Around the Horn the other day.

I like a good preseason tourney like anyone else, my big worry is are we talented enough to win big games. Our OOC schedule wasn't exactly strenuous this year, all it would have taken was a couple of wins over blah teams and we were in the dance. We have traditionally been an excellent team in November-December, this season was a huge exception. While the team that won in Maui ended up collapsing at the end of the season, that team was undefeated, and eventually number 1 for a while, for a good portion of the season. A far cry from what we have seen the last three years. I am all for a good non conference schedule, but I am also all for a team talented enough to win those games. Gotta get back to great recruiting and building as opposed to band aid grad kids(I love White and G, we needed them, but hopefully won't need that soon) . Get the sanctions behind us, get the transition from JB to Hopkins done (that is not a slight on JB, I think the "will he retire won't he retire" thing has not helped recruiting either).

Get us back in Battle 4 Atlantis or any tournament we can play Arizona/Vilanova/Indiana/Washington/LSU.

Why?

Teams that have landed 5 stars that should be ripe for the picking for us. Then, Villanova because they should be our only old rivals we ought to keep ties with.

anyone still spouting that line is an old sports writer who obviously doesn't follow college hoops and is spouting cliches. Like Bob Ryan on Around the Horn the other day.

I hate that line too, but this year didn't help the narrative. in the OOC we only left NYS to play Wisconsin, and that was not our choice. Either way, Bob Ryan is a tool.

Bite your tongue. I distinctly recall playing a very tough Louisiana Tech team lead by Randy White.

Not to mention Michigan State with a freshman Magic Johnson. But that was a different era.

I honestly think the schedule was fine. If they win that game against South Carolina they are in the Tourney. We clearly didn't do enough in road/neutral...nearly 0-11. Can't have that.
A big part of our miserable RPI this season is because the schedule wasn't just loaded with cupcakes...it was loaded with entire large cakes:

S Carolina St 302
Colgate 294
Cornell 270
North Florida 217
Holy Cross 208

Too many dregs on the OOC schedule pulling down overall RPI.

Our scheduling is fine. Our ability to win 14 of them was not.

Agreed. If we'd beaten lowly BC and Pitt, we'd have been in the tournament.

Our non-conf SOS (256) wasn't that good sure but that isn't the point. Hell if we scheduled harder for this past season they wouldn't have even been a bubble team! It could've been much worse!

West Virginia, Kansas Stae, and Florida St had worse non-conf SOS than us. We just didn't win enough. All it would've taken was one more W like South Carolina, GTown, or UConn, or like Frozen says Pitt or BC to show better competency on the road. The schedule was perfectly fine.

IF we'd beaten lowly < insert ANY team name here > we would have been in the tournament.

We almost made it anyway, in spite of that.
IF URI didn't go on a run, we probably get in over them.
IF K-State didn't beat Baylor, we probably get in over them.

Winning one more lousy game would have ensured that we didn't need to rely on what other teams did or didn't do.

Just one would have gotten us in. One extra ACC win, we are 11-7 and get the 5th seed for the conference tourney. even with our terrible road/neutral record and other bad losses, we would have been in. So sad.

Just one would have gotten us in. One extra ACC win, we are 11-7 and get the 5th seed for the conference tourney. even with our terrible road/neutral record and other bad losses, we would have been in. So sad.

Trump, is that you ?

Just don't play St Johns anymore.

If they're in one of the tournaments we sign up for, we should back out.

Is there still that thing with UK Duke MSU and Kansas playing one game each year?

If so we should do one with Syracuse UCLA Indiana and Nova or something. Man picking four teams from different conferences is tough.

You just gave UCLA Indiana and Nova a good idea. UCLA, Indiana, Nova and UConn will play one game each year. Sorry, Syracuse only has one championship so the three would rather play 4 time champion Huskies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom