We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes | Syracusefan.com

We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
If the big fella is out for any length of time...

We can't rely on Maliq to play 40 effective minutes every game.

We can't rely on Hima's knees.

It makes no sense to burn Patterson's redshirt at this point in the season.

Red said Benny could play center in a pinch (fulfilling my prophecy from last season) but that's not a great option.

Carey's going to get some in case of emergency break glass minutes. We probably should invest a little court time in getting him ready to play.

Red said Benny could play center in a pinch (fulfilling my prophecy from last season) but that's not a great option.

Carey's going to get some in case of emergency break glass minutes. We probably should invest a little court time in getting him ready to play.
He looked like a JV guy playing Varsity when he came in vs Tennessee. He got dunked on And-1 and his open jumper from like 10 feet literally hit the side of the backboard. If he's playing any mins, we're in trouble

Is Carey’s first year a Covid year, or just a RS year? If he doesn’t exceed the game count this year, could he get an extra year for medical.

He looked like a JV guy playing Varsity when he came in vs Tennessee. He got dunked on And-1 and his open jumper from like 10 feet literally hit the side of the backboard. If he's playing any mins, we're in trouble
Yeah, that's kind of my point. Tennessee probably wasn't a great team to get him minutes against.

Couldn’t have been nervous at all.
Not sure how that would make me feel better with him playing against Duke or UNC. Tennessee game was at a small gym in Hawaii

We were making a run when he came in too. He missed a rebound on a tennesse missed FT that bounced directly to him as well.

If we are pressing he’s pretty athletic and can spell Brown for a few series. Half court it’s 4 on 5 both ends unfortunately.

I do like Benny at the 5 if we aren’t playing a team with a legit center.

Is Carey’s first year a Covid year, or just a RS year? If he doesn’t exceed the game count this year, could he get an extra year for medical.

Carey was still in HS during Covid (2019-20).

No Covid Year for him.

He can take 2022-23 as a redshirt.

Benny can't compete at center. Benny was playing the 5 on D during the 4 minute collapse at the end of the 1st half.

I know I'm at worst the Vice President of the Maliq Brown fan club, but count be unconcerned about playin 30-35 minutes at center. He's friggin dominating lately. We will see Benny at the 5 before Carey IMO and Hima looks solid defensively whenever he plays.

Benny can't compete at center. Benny was playing the 5 on D during the 4 minute collapse at the end of the 1st half.

I was gonna ask who got the few non-Malik (and Hima) C mins.

That’s… disappointing.
Benny is tall and athletic, you’d think he could at least give some serviceable spot minutes at the 5.

I'm a big fan of giving Carey a few minutes here and there to see what he can do. A few nightmarish minutes against a national title contender two months ago shouldn't define him as a player. A 6'11" guy who can put his arms straight up around the basket is an asset.

And if he comes in, he will obviously be nervous, so we shouldn't go all "JB" on him if he makes one mistake.

We need Hima to give us 5-8 and hope Maliq doesn't get in foul trouble. Neither Benny nor Pete can hold down that post for long.

I hope he is physically ready. I am sure he is eager for the challenge. NC can really pound the boards like Fran pounds the portal.

Carey can't help. I doubt he will be helpful in the future as he isn't an ACC caliber player. Great kid and hope he can transfer to a better fit rather than play out his years here on the bench. Hopefully we are keeping an eye on Estrella who isn't getting much PT at Tennessee. He could start at center for us or split time with McLeod.

Carey can't help. I doubt he will be helpful in the future as he isn't an ACC caliber player. Great kid and hope he can transfer to a better fit rather than play out his years here on the bench. Hopefully we are keeping an eye on Estrella who isn't getting much PT at Tennessee. He could start at center for us or split time with McLeod.
Still early to determine whether Carey is an acc caliber player or not. He will get his opportunity soon, maybe as early as Saturday. I hope that the other bigs are inspired by Maliq post play of late.

Still early to determine whether Carey is an acc caliber player or not. He will get his opportunity soon, maybe as early as Saturday. I hope that the other bigs are inspired by Maliq post play of late.
Inspiration can only take you so far. This isn't Rudy.

I know this has been a point of contention on the board but were we aware of Hima’s knee issues in the summer? I know we’re already hamstrung with 4 centers on the roster but there wasn’t another 4/5 depth guy we could take on?

Understand pushing to 5 centers is too much and goes into the whole “if you have multiple you don’t have one” mantra. But it’s crazy how quickly our front court depth feels depleted.

Inspiration can only take you so far. This isn't Rudy.
Sure, but Maliq doing his thing and exposing the interior players on the other team, should help the other bigs on the team when they get in the game on where the weak spots are. The others on our team will not be able to do everything Maliq does when in the game, but they can learn from him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom