We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

We probably need to get Carey ready for some minutes

Unlike JB I think Red would rather not
play a non threat at the 5. The problem is true 7 footers who are threats are usually McDonalds All Americans or complete projects. There’s usually never anyone in between.

If we get a solid rotation big in the portal with some beef- that could work just fine. Honestly it’s not like the traditional big man has been serving us well unless we had kept Jesse or can find another. Hopefully Maliq can add another 15 lbs or so too.

Or on some crazier note Jesse can get a medical redshirt for being only able to play 10 games and come back to Cuse… why not some video game logic for a fun possibility lol. I mean WVUs season is lost…

If we get a solid rotation big in the portal with some beef- that could work just fine. Honestly it’s not like the traditional big man has been serving us well unless we had kept Jesse or can find another. Hopefully Maliq can add another 15 lbs or so too.
The staff has made it seem like they're not going to move on from McLoud, so it will be McLoud and Maliq and probably no portal center. Maybe Red clears out the center depth for other positions/our freshmen. Freeman instead of JT at the 4 will alleviate some of our problems. Maybe the staff should spend the off-season teaching McLoud how to play the middle of the zone and that can be his roll for 10 minutes if we're getting killed by a team with a traditional big but without the shooting around him. Idk.

Freeman and Brown at the 4/5 next year. Don’t shoot the messenger.
I think you're right.

And suppose the starting lineup goes Copeland/Starling/Bell/Freeman/Brown.

Your guards are stronger rebounders than your forwards, but that lineup maybe works.

I think you're right.

And suppose the starting lineup goes Copeland/Starling/Bell/Freeman/Brown.

Your guards are stronger rebounders than your forwards, but that lineup maybe works.
Freeman will be a stud on the glass. I'm not worried.

This "he can give you five fouls" stuff always makes me laugh. Anyone on the active roster can do that. And in a competitive game, the raw guy with lots of imagined upside giving five fouls can do a lot damage to your chances of winning in a short period of time.

I didn't mean ,"intentionally" give you 5 fouls- but in the course of hustling and playing defense.
Most big men are extremely foul prone as they adjust to the speed of the game. Jesse was a mess starting out. Whenever possible, you've got to give the kid a chance to make his mistakes and learn. I think he has enough upside to warrant the opportunity. JMHO

Last edited:
So Long Big Peter Carey.

So now we're down to 7 returning guys with 2 coming in. That would be enough for JB but I think Red will want more.

The staff has made it seem like they're not going to move on from McLoud, so it will be McLoud and Maliq and probably no portal center. Maybe Red clears out the center depth for other positions/our freshmen. Freeman instead of JT at the 4 will alleviate some of our problems. Maybe the staff should spend the off-season teaching McLoud how to play the middle of the zone and that can be his roll for 10 minutes if we're getting killed by a team with a traditional big but without the shooting around him. Idk.
Forgetting the 7’2” Patterson who is supposed to be a better version of Jesse. Assume he adds 20lbs and is ready to roll? I assume the staff knows what they have, have coming in, who is leaving etc….If we have Patterson, Brown, Freeman, McCloud the 5 & 4 should be covered? Bell/ Westry the 3, JJ, Moore and Cuffe for the 2 & 1 right now. Assumes Copeland and Mintz leave. Could see us grab another 3/4, a pure 1 and maybe another combo guard? Again I would assume the staff knows what they are doing and all of the above is pure speculation right now. IMO, we can’t afford to have another year of “building“ need experienced players to win right now.

Forgetting the 7’2” Patterson who is supposed to be a better version of Jesse. Assume he adds 20lbs and is ready to roll? I assume the staff knows what they have, have coming in, who is leaving etc….If we have Patterson, Brown, Freeman, McCloud the 5 & 4 should be covered? Bell/ Westry the 3, JJ, Moore and Cuffe for the 2 & 1 right now. Assumes Copeland and Mintz leave. Could see us grab another 3/4, a pure 1 and maybe another combo guard? Again I would assume the staff knows what they are doing and all of the above is pure speculation right now. IMO, we can’t afford to have another year of “building“ need experienced players to win right now.
Digging up my posts from January! I think Red’s going to get a portal big. I’m curious as to his starting lineup, though.

We have experienced players. If Judah leaves, we'll be down to 7 of them. Red used all 13 scholarships last year and I think he'd like to this year. I think he wants the Harvard point guard bad but what he wants beyond that I don't know. I can't see a 'stud' center coming here if he's not going to play 30+ minutes. He already has the guys for a 15-20 minutes center and if Freeman is ready for big minutes, that's all we can offer. He may fill out the other sports with HS recruits for the future or guys moving up from a lower level. Or maybe he'll hold spots for future recruiting classes. Stay tuned.

I can't see a 'stud' center coming here if he's not going to play 30+ minutes. He already has the guys for a 15-20 minutes center and if Freeman is ready for big minutes, that's all we can offer. He may fill out the other sports with HS recruits for the future or guys moving up from a lower level. Or maybe he'll hold spots for future recruiting classes. Stay tuned.
Boeheim is no longer the coach.

Look at the number of minutes the key players play on the best teams left in the tournament. Most players play no more than 30 minutes, maybe 32. There are 80 minutes available at C/PF and 40 minutes available at SF. If the SF gets 30 that is 90 minutes for a C and Brown and Freeman. There is room for a stud center.

And the centers on the roster now? Let them beat out the portal C or be good enough to keep Brown off the floor at C.

Unlike JB I think Red would rather not
play a non threat at the 5. The problem is true 7 footers who are threats are usually McDonalds All Americans or complete projects. There’s usually never anyone in between.
Agreed. And if one of these bigs happens to be in the portal it’s going to be a massive bidding war. Not saying we can’t compete on that level, but a player with some size and decent feet and some ability to rebound would be an immediate upgrade. Not entirely sure it has to be a traditional center.

Haha, maybe I’m just triggered by all the early season posts asking why Hima never plays.
There will never, ever, for as long as any of us are alive, be a coach who gets universal approval for his rotation on this board. I’ve come to accept that as reality. I think I finally accepted that somewhere around the Brycen Goodine era.

How much did Patterson put on since he’s joined the squad?

If the big fella is out for any length of time...

We can't rely on Maliq to play 40 effective minutes every game.

We can't rely on Hima's knees.

It makes no sense to burn Patterson's redshirt at this point in the season.

Red said Benny could play center in a pinch (fulfilling my prophecy from last season) but that's not a great option.

Carey's going to get some in case of emergency break glass minutes. We probably should invest a little court time in getting him ready to play.
No we don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom