We should beat Duke | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We should beat Duke

Ax just posted a seating chart for the game and there's plenty of seats left for this one. I've been to at least 2 SU/Duke games in The Dome where attendance was over 30,000. Wonder if they get there for this one.

Our defense has gotten better in the last couple of games. Must continue Saturday
It’s more about the other team’s execution than anything we’re doing defensively. Play VT again and suddenly our D will have regressed.

Offensive execution, aka Judah, is where the team has improved.

Yep, that and doing it with superior talent.

I mean ... that's the goal. High percentage shots. I will take a team that can execute threes and lobs all day and twice on Sundays.

there isn’t that much to solve.
Yeah, when they’ve beaten us, it’s because of superior talent. It’s not like they work the ball around for good shots, or utilize the FT line or baseline. Just chucking threes and forcing up lobs.

They can’t shoot and they turn it over a bunch.
ND almost beat them in Durham last night and we are better than ND and we are home.

And Scheyer hasn't done much this year to show that he will be able to outcoach JAB.

Plus I think NC State has more weapons than Duke and they had a hard time with the zone. Plus they picked up a bunch of fouls defending us.

I hope so, last night was probably 1/2 full. Tons of empty seats for a really good game.

The box of Mallomars last night was probably 1/2 full within five seconds of DJ Burns finding it.

I haven't watched Duke much but going off KenPom they're better on defense than NC State and play at a much slower tempo. Does the zone stifle them and can SU get enough on offense to win?

I haven't watched Duke much but going off KenPom they're better on defense than NC State and play at a much slower tempo. Does the zone stifle them and can SU get enough on offense to win?

Duke has been bad on the road. It was kind of odd they almost pulled it out vs UVA but then sometimes UVA, as good as they are, keeps opponents in the game the way they play especially if they aren't efficient.. see their game vs Ville tonight.

I think Duke's PG is pretty good and the big Frosh can play. Jesse needs to show up mentally engaged from the opening tip. We should win this game in our building without the K influence on the stripes.

I don't know if we beat them, but I can't help but wonder what our team looks like with Flip. I honestly think with him we're probably already at or over 20 wins. Were not that far off from being a very solid team.

People are really underestimating Duke. They are a great offensive rebounding team which will give the zone fits. They have three bigs to bang with Jesse. They are athletic at every position. They are not great shooters, but they have several players who can make threes. I’m not sure where SU has a real advantage. Scheyer is not Coach K, but he’s doing a good job with this team. They‘ve lost two games because officials choked at the end of two games. They have also battled injuries all season. If you think SU’s transition to a new coach is going to be better than Duke’s you’re in for a rude awakening.

People are really underestimating Duke. They are a great offensive rebounding team which will give the zone fits. They have three bigs to bang with Jesse. They are athletic at every position. They are not great shooters, but they have several players who can make threes. I’m not sure where SU has a real advantage. Scheyer is not Coach K, but he’s doing a good job with this team. They‘ve lost two games because officials choked at the end of two games. They have also battled injuries all season. If you think SU’s transition to a new coach is going to be better than Duke’s you’re in for a rude awakening.
I'm not underestimating Duke. They can't score. He has 5 top 25 recruits and they are trending toward the bubble. They have the number 1 and 2 recruits in the country and even when they were healthy they don't produce.

Our advantage is with the backcourt. Mintz and Girard are better than Proctor and Roach. Frankly it's not close. If you look at the results they are getting worse as the season goes on and we are getting better. We should not be shaking in our boots against a team that barely beat Notre Dame and got blasted by NC State.

And ffs with the KenPom rankings. At this point they mean nothing.

Win the damn home game.

Oh man, if Cuse beats Duke I won’t be able to control myself when my local TV news station does sports lol!
They hardly ever say anything when Syracuse is involved.
I sat around waiting hear what they might say about the loss Tuesday night.
You guessed it nada nothing crickets in the night. They didn’t even mention the game
C'mon Cuse,
Let’s Go!

I'm not underestimating Duke. They can't score. He has 5 top 25 recruits and they are trending toward the bubble. They have the number 1 and 2 recruits in the country and even when they were healthy they don't produce.

Our advantage is with the backcourt. Mintz and Girard are better than Proctor and Roach. Frankly it's not close. If you look at the results they are getting worse as the season goes on and we are getting better. We should not be shaking in our boots against a team that barely beat Notre Dame and got blasted by NC State.

And ffs with the KenPom rankings. At this point they mean nothing.

Win the damn home game.

You are doing nothing but setting yourself up for a huge let down.
Duke is not trash and for you to imply that they are is just ridiculous. I don’t care who they have lost to they are still a team you have to respect.

Also what you are doing is dismissing a win over Duke. You’re saying we should beat them easily so a win means nothing. And if we happen to lose it will be a big upset. That’s nonsense.

How many times has a team that “can’t shoot” shot the lights out against us. Duke is still 18-8 with a 41st ranked defense. A win over them for us would be a huge accomplishment.

You are doing nothing but setting yourself up for a huge let down.
Duke is not trash and for you to imply that they are is just ridiculous. I don’t care who they have lost to they are still a team you have to respect.

Also what you are doing is dismissing a win over Duke. You’re saying we should beat them easily so a win means nothing. And if we happen to lose it will be a big upset. That’s nonsense.

How many times has a team that “can’t shoot” shot the lights out against us. Duke is still 18-8 with a 41st ranked defense. A win over them for us would be a huge accomplishment.
You don’t get it.

Thank you Duke Vitale

4B1ED4BC-3BB0-4607-97E1-A5BAEEAAF3D8.jpeg

They're a terrific offensive rebounding team. I'm not terribly worried about Jesse getting in foul trouble at home, but it's a tough matchup for him so Maliq, Benny and Chris need to help him out. Since they send so many guys to the offensive glass, we need to get out and run when we can - it will be the easiest offense we get all day.

Duke also turns the ball over quite a bit (14th in the ACC in TO%), so I'd like to see some press even if the score doesn't necessarily call for it.

We also need to contain Ryan Young, who is their version of Mutts - an experienced big man who can bust the zone with his passing. He's far less comfortable taking the short jumpers, though, so if he flashes in the high post everyone needs to stay at home and not collapse.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom