We should beat Duke | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We should beat Duke

Duke is a very good rebounding AND free throw shooting team.
CUSE cannot let them have the lead late.

I don’t agree with “they aren’t good” part.
They are not their usual 1-3 seed good, but they still have some talent on that team. Flip, Lively and Roach are going to be a handful.
I’d look out for Young; he’s a sneaky good player and think he’ll be a major problem for Cuse

Our defense has gotten better in the last couple of games. Must continue Saturday
I think it does.

Vs NCSt, our starting five turned over a high-powered offense in impressive fashion. I think the improvement on D we've seen since the beginning of the year will continue. They're throwing themselves into their team defense with the kind of energy that is needed to make the Boeheim zone lethal. I expect to see them turn over Duke just like they did NCSt & those pts off turnovers will help fuel our total offensive effort, resulting an impressive win.
crystal ball love GIF by HERSHEY’S Cookies ’n’ Creme

Duke is a very good rebounding AND free throw shooting team.
CUSE cannot let them have the lead late.

Gird ye loins for the 3-1 (them vs. us) foul calls from another banner ACC officiating crew.

I remember reading the incessant complaining by NC St and Maryland fans about this issue back in the mid-2000's and thought they were just a bunch of whiners... not anymore.

No chance. Has Girard ever beaten Duke? 0-7, 0-8?
We were 4-5 against Duke in our first 9 matchups in the ACC, with many of the games going right down to the wire.

We have lost 7 in a row against them and losing by 10 has been a “moral victory”.

Inexcusable. Win tomorrow, end of story. If you can’t beat a dorky, wet behind the ears rookie at home- beat it.

To be fair he’s only had a couple chances.

Wasn’t ready, before that.

To be honest, it wasn’t a shot at Jesse.

To be honest, it wasn’t a shot at Jesse.
The only “shots” should be at why the program has been in this position.

Joe has been a starter for 5 losses and 0 wins against Duke….but that’s not his fault.

Jesse actually really only “played” against Duke once - forgot if he was hurt or not for the second regular season matchup last year. He was.

We gave them a lot of problems even in seasons that we weren’t that good circa 17-19….but we were big and athletic. Guys like Chukwu and Roberson had career games against them and Hughes, Gillon, and Battle ate them up. Hopefully we once again have the athleticism to beat them.

Joe has been a starter for 5 losses and 0 wins against Duke….but that’s not his fault.

Jesse actually really only “played” against Duke once - forgot if he was hurt or not for the second regular season matchup last year. He was.

We gave them a lot of problems even in seasons that we weren’t that good circa 17-19….but we were big and athletic. Guys like Chukwu and Roberson had career games against them and Hughes, Gillon, and Battle ate them up. Hopefully we once again have the athleticism to beat them.

Sounds like a team thing.

I'm not underestimating Duke. They can't score. He has 5 top 25 recruits and they are trending toward the bubble. They have the number 1 and 2 recruits in the country and even when they were healthy they don't produce.

Our advantage is with the backcourt. Mintz and Girard are better than Proctor and Roach. Frankly it's not close. If you look at the results they are getting worse as the season goes on and we are getting better. We should not be shaking in our boots against a team that barely beat Notre Dame and got blasted by NC State.

And ffs with the KenPom rankings. At this point they mean nothing.

Win the damn home game.
I know you’re joking, but no one is underestimating them, they’re rightfully estimating them as an incredibly average team

They're throwing themselves into their team defense with the kind of energy that is needed to make the Boeheim zone lethal.
crystal ball love GIF by HERSHEY’S Cookies ’n’ Creme
Lethal huh. Ken Pomeroy would like to take you out back for questioning.

Roberson beat them at Cameron. That was the “God bless America” game.

If I added correctly, in five games against Duke, Joe is 21 of 64 shooting (~33%) and averaging almost 13 shots per game.

In general, Dukes sheer size and athleticism will give most people fits, but especially someone like Joe.

Not all his fault by any means, but if you are throwing up 13 shots per game, you’re one of the dudes.

But as has been noted, this is a JB issue, not a Joe thing.

If I added correctly, in five games against Duke, Joe is 21 of 64 shooting (~33%) and averaging almost 13 shots per game.

In general, Dukes sheer size and athleticism will give most people fits, but especially someone like Joe.

Not all his fault by any means, but if you are throwing up 13 shots per game, you’re one of the dudes.

But as has been noted, this is a JB issue, not a Joe thing.

If I remember correctly, in last years ACC tournament game he and Jimmy went for 20+ when Buddy sat out. One of them had like 16 in the first half.

If I remember correctly, in last years ACC tournament game he and Jimmy went for 20+ when Buddy sat out. One of them had like 16 in the first half.
Joe went off in the first half of that game. It was impressive.

Flip is their leading scorer but only shoots 42.6%. Not good for a PF. Joe is at 40.6%. Lively is 7'1". He shares time at center. Jesse's shooting % is 58.3, which is about 50% greater than Flip.

They are not high scoring but they are tough on D. We can't afford to be sloppy or let them play volleyball.

This will be a tough game. If we feed Jesse, as we normally should, they will double team him. We rely on interior scoring which could be difficult against them. Joe will have to be on and Chris will have to get his MOJO back. Jesse will have to quickly recognize the double and be able to hit Malik.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom