3 - Freeman
4 - Brown
5 - Portal

6 - Bell
7 - Westry
8 - McLeod
9 - Moore
10 - Cuffe

Would love to have another forward that can be a Kris Joseph type, but I think they're hoping Bell can develop his game a little bit more. Hope he can.
This makes more sense & agreed.
Forgot about Cuffe.
Don't know much about Moore, but hopefully he can challenge for PT.

We need to worry less about who will play the 3 or 4 in Red's system and more about who can defend the 2, 3, and 4. Ideally, Red wants to be able to play multiple lineups based on match ups and the versatility of the individual player. He needs combinations of versatile defenders, shooters, dribble penetrators, and guys that can rebound.

The exception to the above is the glaring need for a natural PG (goal #1) and a big who is an interior scoring threat or, short of that, a rim protector.

If Jake is correct, and I think he is, the focus will be PG and 5.

I don’t like to do this but, CHRIS BELL IS NOT COMING OFF THE BENCH!!!!!
There I feel a little better. There is no scenario in todays environment where a two year starter returns to come off the bench in his third year. It’s not going to happen.

There I feel a little better. There is no scenario in todays environment where a two year starter returns to come off the bench in his third year. It’s not going to happen.
Correct and as Jake mentioned, Freeman most likely off bench (still will play near 30 mins and close games if goes to plan)

Last edited:
The portal is open for 45 days. Why does everyone think everything has to happen the first couple days? Some players may still be thinking things over with parents and not wanting to rush into a decision. Some players may have an interest in a couple schools but those schools are still playing. Some players may be negotiating NIL here. There is no rush. Only about 1/3 of the number of players expected to hit the portal have done so. Although I’d expect those still playing not to do anything till seasons end.

Last year, Girard entered the portal 11 days after it opened and Edwards 28 days after.
Also, even if they know they are transferring, do they really want to finish the semester with all their friends knowing that they are leaving?

45 days from now is a lot closer to the end of the semester.

My latest is there will likely be three more departures.

Hima Carey and Judah.

I believe everyone else will be back.

We’re looking in the portal for a PG and a big.
Depending on who those two players are, we could be favorites to win the Championship, on the bubble, or competing for last in the ACC.

It's funny how free agency completely changes your team, especially when everybody is on a one year contract.

I agree. As much as I think Bell is better suited as a shooter off the bench, I agree that he will likely start at the 3 next year. The dilemma we have (or we think we have) is that we have Bell, Freeman, Brown, and a portal c, and only 3 of them can start. I think Red takes the 18 year old freshman who's never played in the ACC before and puts him on the bench as the 6th man that still gets 25 min per game with Brown starting 4 and a (hopefully) beast of a starting 5. Seems like Red is bought in to positionless basketball so I imagine we will see some interesting combos on the court next year.

Correct and as Jake mentioned, Freeman mostly likely off bench (still will play near 30 mins and close games if goes to plan)
interesting and good to hear as a way to clear that logjam with the two of best players on next years team.

The scenario is this:
* Red recruited someone who is better. Plays D better. Rebounds better. Shoots good enough.
* An existing player is better. A Westry, etc.

But, we'll see. Doesn't seem to be a priority portal need per Jake's info.

We are a 20 win team (a fact that doesn't mean anything anymore). We want to be in the tournament, next year. Top 4 of the ACC, next year. Reduced blowout losses from 9+ to 2ish, next year. within reach of the opponents rebounding numbers, every game, next year.

If any of the players cannot help in that regard, I hope we find someone better.

But, I think Bell is real close to exploding as a player. He's trying on D, and got better, but has a long way to go.

There I feel a little better. There is no scenario in today’s environment where a two year starter returns to come off the bench in his third year. It’s not going to happen.
Never say never. We do have an assistant coach who experienced this personally.

Jake does think Freeman comes off the bench and - as others have stated - the closing lineup is more important.

There I feel a little better. There is no scenario in today’s environment where a two year starter returns to come off the bench in his third year. It’s not going to happen.
Autry values the defense over the scoring overall. He also recognizes the potential what could be and will really need Bell to space the floor with Freeman and Brown at the 4 and 5.

Right now Bell is being told you have to play defense to start. Also get stronger and rebound. The position is likely yours to keep but not guaranteed.

He’ll get a big NIL bag to match whatever offers he gets.

Bell has a big decision to make tho. He can take the easier route somewhere else if he wants or go to work and get better.

No matter what Cuse will bring in another forward. I expect that player will be a defensive addition that will eat Bells minutes regardless when we face tougher front courts.

Never say never. We do have an assistant coach who experienced this personally.

Jake does think Freeman comes off the bench and - as others have stated - the closing lineup is more important.
Griff was 30 years ago, pre-free multiple transfers, preportal, and his dad wasn’t a high level executive at a sports agency.

Very glad about this if he is healthy he plays a significant role against power teams.
Did I miss something with Naheem the Dream? I think he is worthy of the 10th or 11th scholarship just for optics and the novelty we get. No more than 8-10 mins a game.

We need one of our old Big East bigs to come back and teach him how to lay a foul tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom