Week 7 Uniform for Clemson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Week 7 Uniform for Clemson

Thought experiment:

If in our hey day from the 80-90’s we wore our current uni and then switched to that uni in 2014, would everyone would be calling for them?

I say yes

You may very well be right. I know part of it with me is that look reminds me of our winning days. But I honestly in general like the actual look of the uniforms better. Numbers are easier to read and I like having one consistent jersey for home and one for away.

Right, for the most part, schools have botched it. I was watching hockey recently and saw Edmonton playing. They finally went back to the uniforms from the hay days of the 1980s. It feel like the Oilers again.

Syracuse has to rectify this uniform snafu on the basis of brand identity more than anything. The 1990s uniforms were a successful brand people want to identify with. I have no problem, and i have said it ad nauseum, to have alternate uniforms which satiate those who like the Jetsons look. Fine with me but weave it in with our identifiable uniform.

I think one of the things that is a blindspot for fans here is while that look was a successful brand in the 80's and 90's (winning does that, not the always the quality of the design, IMO) - it's recognizable only to CFB fans who were alive and paying attention then. That was 20-30 years ago. The churn of fans during that timeframe means that particular brand isn't Syracuse to a growing number of people. Throw in fans who were casual and don't follow it anymore - and it leaves the rest of us: Diehards who remember the brand, at an age where our $ and opinions are more valued. That's why the new uni feels like such an affront.

But, the truth is that for young/new fans, recruits (they def don't have any real connection to the old brand) - the look we have now is Syracuse "Orange is the New Fast"... That's how branding works.

The bad news for the diehards is that the old look will continue to fade from memory the longer we go without it. And the more we win with the new look, the more it becomes the brand for the younger generations. Hope Wildhack is on it.

You may very well be right. I know part of it with me is that look reminds me of our winning days. But I honestly in general like the actual look of the uniforms better. Numbers are easier to read and I like having one consistent jersey for home and one for away.

I concur. That stuff might all be generational too.

Atleast the helmet was orange.
Not a fan of the greys but better than all blue.
408aptopix-virginia-tech-syracuse-football.jpeg

These jerseys look like the "before" in a laundry detergent commercial.

Because Clemson is wearing their all whites with an Orange helmet SU is going with the blue helmets.
did Clemson tell us to put Clemson 21- Syracuse 0 on the scoreboard to start too??

probably will just do it themselves...

...And the more we win with the new look, the more it becomes the brand for the younger generations. Hope Wildhack is on it.

That's the problem that many of us are griping about, beyond subjective tastes (though let's be serious, the blue helmets and pants are hideous): there is no new look.

There's just a whole bunch of s--- they throw against the wall at random each week. No consistency, no look, no brand.

Keep complaining but we have a contract with Nike. The uniforms are going to get changed I believe after this season is up. Heck we might switch to adidas/UA. Imagine they give us some crazy uniforms and then everyone is pining for our "skyscraper" unis again. That would be hilarious.

If the new uniforms were the McNabb Era a clear and convincing majority would be happy.

Home.
092003-su1-jbjpg-44decdd6f3bdb82c.jpg

Road
092802-auburn6-fojpg-55e2e4266b1ae092.jpg

Orange.
images

Helmet has to be Orange always at home or White on the road only with orange all the time.

Pants: Orange always at home/ white as the alternate pants.

Keep complaining but we have a contract with Nike. The uniforms are going to get changed I believe after this season is up. Heck we might switch to adidas/UA. Imagine they give us some crazy uniforms and then everyone is pining for our "skyscraper" unis again. That would be hilarious.

Dear Nike/UA/Adidas,

This is Jim Brown, the greatest football player ever. Look at this picture, and make a modern fitting uniform that looks exactly like this. You don't need to redesign anything to make it look like you tried hard. This is a layup for you. We don't need grey unis or funky numbers or 50 different color combos.

81374881.jpg

That's the problem that many of us are griping about, beyond subjective tastes (though let's be serious, the blue helmets and pants are hideous): there is no new look.

There's just a whole bunch of s--- they throw against the wall at random each week. No consistency, no look, no brand.

C’mon. You can argue over how much people like it - but it’s pretty clearly a brand. All the colors match, there are dumb 44 degree stripes, The “S” etc. The days of having the same home uni and the same road uni as the sole way of branding your football team shifted 10 years ago. Obviously, some schools don’t go by that - but others have.

My 8 year old isn’t confused by who we are on TV from week to week.

Nope - everyone would still be pining for the McNabb era unis, or the Marrone era unis and saying "are you kidding me - how did they manage to screw this up even worse when the solution was so simple and easy"

Dear Nike/UA/Adidas,

This is Jim Brown, the greatest football player ever. Look at this picture, and make a modern fitting uniform that looks exactly like this. You don't need to redesign anything to make it look like you tried hard. This is a layup for you. We don't need grey unis or funky numbers or 50 different color combos.

View attachment 112497

What team are we playing?

I think people put too much stock in a brands lasting power. If the amount of people who recognize the McNabb era uni is shrinking, the Jim Brown era is all but gone.

It’s easier to just roll with it. I do hope we return to a Nassib era look, but with the brighter orange. Or even a take on the McNabb era uni’s is cool.

But like all things, it won’t matter without wins.

Yeah, I'd like my QB to throw to the right team

Can our offense wear blue helmets and our defense wear orange helmets?

Probably isn't a rule, just try it. Have an attorney on the field and ready.

Is t it all relative. A twenty year old pines for the Nassib unis. A sixty year old in 1996, May have pined for the all orange of the 59 champs era, or the orange/blue/orange of the caughlin/csonka era. I for one still love the orange lid, blue jersey, white pant look of the Morris/Hurley era.

Someday my 8 year old will be sixty pining for the ones we have now.

If the new uniforms were the McNabb Era a clear and convincing majority would be happy.

Home.
092003-su1-jbjpg-44decdd6f3bdb82c.jpg

Road
092802-auburn6-fojpg-55e2e4266b1ae092.jpg

Orange.
images

Helmet has to be Orange always at home or White on the road only with orange all the time.

Pants: Orange always at home/ white as the alternate pants.
Our current all Orange uniforms are better than the ones you posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom