Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - Weekend Articles for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday Weekend Articles for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
14360.jpg

Welcome to National Boss Day!

National Boss Day is October 16th of each year. When the holiday falls on a weekend, it is generally celebrated on the working day closest to October 16th.

National Boss Day started in 1958. Patricia Bays Haroski, then an employee at State Farm Insurance Company in Deerfield, Illinois, registered the holiday with the Chamber of Commerce of the United States. Patricia´s idea was to show appreciation for her boss and other bosses. Her purpose in promoting National Boss Day through the years has been to improve the relationship between employees and their bosses. In particular, younger employees, she believes, often do not realize the problems bosses face in running a business.

She designated October 16th as the special day because it was her father’s birthday. “I had worked for a large company and noticed that they never had a regular date set to pay tribute to our bosses,” Haroski wrote in 1970. “I made inquiries, and through my network of secretaries, decided to establish a day in their honor. Reflecting on how my father had helped his white-collar daughters and sons many times with their problems concerning their work, I decided to register his birthday, October 16, as ‘The Day.’ In 1958, I gave it some authority by registering October 16th as National Boss Day with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. In 1962, Illinois Governor Otto Kerner proclaimed the day. This observance is fun for our bosses, and they do a lot of smiling that day.” ...

SU News

2009-10-16-madness-nljpg-c796e6efd8018776_large.jpg

Orange Madness Finally Arrives in Syracuse (insidetheloudhouse.com; Stone)

Tomorrow night (tonight) at 7 pm, it’s Orange Madness at the Carrier Dome! This event is used as a primer before the start of the basketball season to get fans pumped. With only three weeks until Syracuse basketball season officially starts, what better way to get excited than to go watch some of the current stars and young rookies show off and have fun.

The event will be broadcast on Time Warner Cable and streamed live on
cuse.com. It features both the men’s and women’s basketball teams competing in scrimmages, a dunk contest, and a 3-point contest. It will be broadcast by none other than Syracuse legend Roosevelt Bouie. And iff rap music is your thing, Christian rapper NF will be performing as well...

18978626-mmmain.jpg

Oklahoma Thunder/Dion Waiters Reportedly Talking Contract Extension (PS; Carlson)

Dion Waiters' agent and the Oklahoma City Thunder have reportedly been discussing a contract extension for several weeks, according to Adrian Wojnarowski, an NBA reporter with Yahoo! Sports.

An extension would take some of the pressure off Waiters during this coming NBA season, when he finishes the final year of his rookie contract. The former Syracuse guard is set to make $5.1 million in his fourth NBA season.

If he and the Thunder don't agree to a contract by Nov. 2, Waiters would be eligible to become a restricted free agent as the NBA's salary cap is set to rise. With a big season, Waiters could cash in on a market that will have plenty of buyers. But if he struggles, Waiters could see his value drop or his services unwanted.

By agreeing to a deal early, Waiters would secure a paycheck for next season, and the Thunder could lock him up at a reasonable salary before he hits the open market.

Waiters averaged a career-low 11.8 points per game last year and shot a career-low 39.6 percent. His scoring ticked up to 12.7 per game once he was traded from Cleveland to the Thunder, where he rotated between a starting role and coming off the bench.

Waiters has enjoyed an excellent start to the preseason through three games, averaging 13 points in just 19 minutes,
according Real GM. He is shooting 54.2 from the field, 71.4 percent on 3-pointers, and is averaging more twice as many rebounds (3.0) and assists (2.7) as turnovers (1.3).