Welcome, Coach Brown! Now, about that portal... | Syracusefan.com

Welcome, Coach Brown! Now, about that portal...

Replacement for Lowery?

IMG_7356.jpeg

Yeah, we're gonna get some guys.

My bold prediction is he pulls off keeping Allen, Gadsden, and Villari (he's easier since he already used his freebie transfer), snags a QB talent and WR, and gets some OL transfers to shore up the line. Offense is as well-rounded as it's been in a long time.

On defense, I think there's going to be a lot of movement.

Yeah, we're gonna get some guys.

My bold prediction is he pulls off keeping Allen, Gadsden, and Villari (he's easier since he already used his freebie transfer), snags a QB talent and WR, and gets some OL transfers to shore up the line. Offense is as well-rounded as it's been in a long time.

On defense, I think there's going to be a lot of movement.

Villari can't go anywhere since he already portalled, no?

Villari can't go anywhere since he already portalled, no?
You would think, but guys can br stupid about this stuff and try to roll the dice with the NCAA, and also Villari slipped a little line in the presser about "whichever team I'm on."

I think there's a chance Villari's recent success may have emboldened him.

The coach fired thing may override that.
With Dino being fired, everyone has 30 days to enter the portal.
I don't believe this is true. Nobody has been able to confirm that a coach firing resets anyone that already used their freebie with any actual policy documentation.

With Dino being fired, everyone has 30 days to enter the portal.
They don’t get another freebie because their coach was fired. The portal only open at certain times for everyone (i.e. December 4 coming up). When a coach is fired, the portal automatically opens to that team for 30 days at that point. It doesn’t mean they get to transfer for free again. He would still have to sit a year without a mental hardship waiver.

They don’t get another freebie because their coach was fired. The portal only open at certain times for everyone (i.e. December 4 coming up). When a coach is fired, the portal automatically opens to that team for 30 days at that point. It doesn’t mean they get to transfer for free again. He would still have to sit a year without a mental hardship waiver.
1. Everybody has 30 days to portal out (if they wish).

2. If you already portaled once, and you wish to portal a second time, you have to sit out a year. Unless you're a Grad Portal.
This is my understanding.

Sure, someone that sues their freebie already can portal out, but they're sitting a year unless the NCAA gives them a waiver. Which is what the NCAA wants to avoid by allowing the freebie.

I'd keep an eye here.

If healthy, former Baylor QB Gerry Bohanon who led them to a 12-2 record (Started 12 of 14 games ... Finished the season 173-225 for 2,200 with 18 TD passes and rushed for 323 yards and nine TDs) in 2021 has entered the portal today leaving USF. He didn't play this season due to a shoulder injury. Fran Brown was his main recruiter at Baylor.

I'd keep an eye here.

If healthy, former Baylor QB Gerry Bohanon who led them to a 12-2 record (Started 12 of 14 games ... Finished the season 173-225 for 2,200 with 18 TD passes and rushed for 323 yards and nine TDs) in 2021 has entered the portal today leaving USF. He didn't play this season due to a shoulder injury. Fran Brown was his main recruiter at Baylor.
SHOULDER WHY

I'd keep an eye here.

The shoulder injury is a big red flag for a QB. We should aim for something better. There are 9 million QBs in the portal we can find one not coming off shoulder surgery.

The shoulder injury is a big red flag for a QB. We should aim for something better. There are 9 million QBs in the portal we can find one not coming off shoulder surgery.
I agree but if we(and should) bring in multiple QBs it would probably be good to have one that Fran already trusts in his transition.

This is my understanding.

Sure, someone that sues their freebie already can portal out, but they're sitting a year unless the NCAA gives them a waiver. Which is what the NCAA wants to avoid by allowing the freebie.

Is he set to graduate on time? If so then he can leave now.

I'd keep an eye here.

Ironically as a USF fan that lives in CNY I think I can provide some better insight on him. He came to us from Baylor because he was told he lost his starting spot to a younger QB during spring ball. He started the first few guys for us his first year, super inconsistent passing but showed a high rushing floor until he hurt his shoulder. This year he just wasn’t the best QB on the team (Byrum Brown is worth the look up, he was really good this year) so he decided to redshirt to prepare for his last year somewhere else. I’d be surprised if he went back up to a power 5 conference after losing his job at 2 schools you’d have to assume he goes for a safer option to get on the field. Congrats on the new hire, well overdue for a change but I’d assume you guys aim higher on a QB

Welcome Coach Brown! Without having personal knowledge of him or analytical skills pertinent to evaluating coaching options, there are things about Coach Brown that look very encouraging. Beyond that, I'm also encouraged by the positive opinions of Coach Brown voiced by the many of you whose opinions I respect. I'm hoping the burst of energy he'll bring will also bring talented players sooner rather than later. Best wishes to all of us, but especially to our new head coach. Welcome!

Ironically as a USF fan that lives in CNY I think I can provide some better insight on him. He came to us from Baylor because he was told he lost his starting spot to a younger QB during spring ball. He started the first few guys for us his first year, super inconsistent passing but showed a high rushing floor until he hurt his shoulder. This year he just wasn’t the best QB on the team (Byrum Brown is worth the look up, he was really good this year) so he decided to redshirt to prepare for his last year somewhere else. I’d be surprised if he went back up to a power 5 conference after losing his job at 2 schools you’d have to assume he goes for a safer option to get on the field. Congrats on the new hire, well overdue for a change but I’d assume you guys aim higher on a QB
Interesting! Thanks for the fantastic info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom