Well, it’s obvious that either Maliq or one of JT/Cope need to start | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Well, it’s obvious that either Maliq or one of JT/Cope need to start

See, I don't get this type of thinking. Benny has had some good outings this year and he is only a soph. He has actually developed since last year and developed in our system. JB himself has raved at times about Benny in practice, which indicates that Benny mixes well enough for him to do that. I totally get wanting Maliq to start and there is currently a strong case to be made for it. I would rather have depth at a position than boot one of the guys who can play it out the door. We have had enough seasons where we were doomed at a position if a starter couldn't go. So start one of them, give the minutes to the guy who deserves them the most, but keep both guys around for depth.
Agreed. I also think sometimes this comes down to simple psychology. Benny earned the starting role in the preseason, and when he starts well, he plays more minutes. When he doesn't, he sits. I'm sure it's frustrating for him, but it's equitable. If JB takes the starting spot from him, he may lose him completely.

Giving him the first opportunity each half is a way of keeping him involved. Maliq is okay coming off the bench. If Benny started coming off the bench, I think he'd start pressing too much when he got into games. The "you'll be the starter but DO something" role is one JB has gone to many times in his career. I don't think he'll change now; in this case, I'm not sure he should.

It’s all about the bad starts, not the minutes. Coming back isn’t as easy as treading water with a lead
Players have to rest, sub, & sit sometimes. We don't want 5 guys going 40. We want 8-9 @ 25ish minutes each, some more, some less. At least that is what I think works best.

Agreed. I also think sometimes this comes down to simple psychology. Benny earned the starting role in the preseason, and when he starts well, he plays more minutes. When he doesn't, he sits. I'm sure it's frustrating for him, but it's equitable. If JB takes the starting spot from him, he may lose him completely.

Giving him the first opportunity each half is a way of keeping him involved. Maliq is okay coming off the bench. If Benny started coming off the bench, I think he'd start pressing too much when he got into games. The "you'll be the starter but DO something" role is one JB has gone to many times in his career. I don't think he'll change now; in this case, I'm not sure he should.
My thoughts, verbatim. I get the impression Benny is struggling with the fact that he came in so heralded and has not come close to living up to the hype. Losing his starting spot, I think he would be emotionally crushed. He seems a bit on the fragile side to begin with. By starting him JB is keeping him engaged. Anything else and I think he's done. While he has been a disappointment so far, I'm sure JB feels he needs to keep him for this season at least. Hard to fault JB in this case.

I’m not sold on Copeland yet. Love him in spurts, but he’s not ready. Probably will be great by his Jr year.

I wouldnt change anything if I’m JB. The only move I’d consider would be Brown for Benny….but I’m not sure of the total ramifications of doing that.

He’s going to start the guys currently starting and then play the hot hand.

Bell is going to win us a game at some point this year.
Agree with all of this (except maybe QC being "great" - but love him in spurts as you said).

I wouldn't change the line up either. I think Maliq might have the best head of the Fs relative to coming off the bench. After all, he even has "iq" in his name. He has earned more minutes, and more importantly, JB's trust. I think Brown is going to be on the floor when it matters most.

I understand why many are down on Bell. I think he has the potential to be very good here if he can hang in there.

I’m not sold on Copeland yet. Love him in spurts, but he’s not ready. Probably will be great by his Jr year.

I wouldnt change anything if I’m JB. The only move I’d consider would be Brown for Benny….but I’m not sure of the total ramifications of doing that.

He’s going to start the guys currently starting and then play the hot hand.

Bell is going to win us a game at some point this year.
I agree. Only tweak I'd make is quicker with the hook if someone needs it. Including Jesse, Joe and Judah

You can't play Benny with Bell...it's too much of a defensive liability. Start Bell with Brown, or Taylor with Benny, and make sure you don't have Bell & Benny together

Just don’t understand why the starting lineup is now in cement from the first game forward. For yrs now, this has been the norm. Prior, JB was never so, so dedicated towards sticking with one lineup like this.

Starting has to be earned. This isn't the case of an established senior getting the opening minutes over a more talented freshmen Bell and Williams are 1st and 2nd year guys. The huge early holes in games kill us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom