We're a 35 minute team | Syracusefan.com

We're a 35 minute team

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Probably due to lack of depth. Just can't finish games or make a push in the last 5 minutes. It's one of the fundamental flaws with this team. They don't know how to win. They don't know how to finish games.

Cooney looked like he needed an oxygen tent with 6 minutes left. Can't blame him. Best game he's played in a long time.

Can't wait for everyone to blame Cooney because he didn't score 40

Probably due to lack of depth. Just can't finish games or make a push in the last 5 minutes. It's one of the fundamental flaws with this team. They don't know how to win. They don't know how to finish games.
As I said in the GDT, the result tonight with JB back was pretty much the same as in Hop's 3 ACC games as HC

It's hard to generate consistent offense down the stretch when you are so reliant on the 3-ball.

It's hard to generate consistent offense down the stretch when you are so reliant on the 3-ball.

It really wasn't our offense that was an issue though. We just needed a couple more stops. Too many dunks from the cutter on the baseline.

Cooney looked like he needed an oxygen tent with 6 minutes left. Can't blame him. Best game he's played in a long time.
Can't they fit him with an oxygen tank? If they attach it to his hip it might autocorrect his drifting.

It really wasn't our offense that was an issue though. We just needed a couple more stops. Too many dunks from the cutter on the baseline.
I was thinking about more than just this game.

Was there ever a time when NFL players could use an oxygen mask on the bench? I think there once was. We could sure use it. The NCAA would give us a triple death penalty. The discussion about endurance usually concludes that the kids can endure. However, as anyone who has played full court knows, when the pace becomes hectic, like pressing at the end, players get gassed. It is generally true that the kids can play for 40 minutes but as these games conclusively prove there are periods when the players get winded. Hopefully, Howard will start to come on and give our backcourt a breather.

A good analogy is to forget basketball and think of track. A runner can run a marathon but not even Usain Bolt can sprint for 40 minutes.

I dont necessarily think its a just matter of fatigue, although I do feel that does play a role. I believe the more that teams see our defense, they eventually figure it out, sometime around the mid second half. Its happened in almost every game. Carolina thrashed us in the second half with the same play...play after play. The easy thing to do is just blame the defenders for not doing a good enough job, but the reality is, all Carolina did was exploit an inherent systemic weakness in the zone , because they had the personnel to do it. Not every team has the players to do what they did, thankfully.

Was there ever a time when NFL players could use an oxygen mask on the bench? I think there once was. We could sure use it. The NCAA would give us a triple death penalty. The discussion about endurance usually concludes that the kids can endure. However, as anyone who has played full court knows, when the pace becomes hectic, like pressing at the end, players get gassed. It is generally true that the kids can play for 40 minutes but as these games conclusively prove there are periods when the players get winded. Hopefully, Howard will start to come on and give our backcourt a breather.

A good analogy is to forget basketball and think of track. A runner can run a marathon but not even Usain Bolt can sprint for 40 minutes.

exercise physiology class in med school taught me that the whole oxygen thing on the sideline does nothing to help oxygenation as all hemoglobin cells are maximally bound, unless the player has a medical condition. Its just placebo effect

You see all the time in sports the team with less talent hangs around most of the game and then the better team turns it up a notch and wins the game. We also saw this with syracuse when they played the so called cupcakes. Let them hang awhile and beat them late.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom