Western Michigan is bowling | Syracusefan.com

Western Michigan is bowling

Good for Tim Lester. Always liked him at SU.

Also, Western Michigan on our schedule next year. Of course another year with a bowl team on our schedule.
If we take care of our own business then we shouldn't have anything to worry about with the K'Zoo Broncos next year.

Also, Western Michigan on our schedule next year. Of course another year with a bowl team on our schedule.
At WMU too.

I know we expect next year to be “the year” but thats a tough game. I’m not entirely sure we’ll even be favored.

At WMU too.

I know we expect next year to be “the year” but thats a tough game. I’m not entirely sure we’ll even be favored.
yoda_pills.jpg

Good for him. He stepped into a great situation and a program that was already winning. A program that Fleck built up. I liked Lester and I hope he sustains it.

I imagine we'd be bowling if we played their schedule.

And CMU beat them.

Western Michigan loses a ton on defense this year. Not only that, but, we're better... We shouldn't feel compelled to worry about the Broncos.

That being said, Go Steve!

MTSU had a say in that this year and wouldn't it be funny if Lester Hires Shafer

I truly believe that Scott would still be our head coach if he had started off with Tim as our OC

Lester earned my respect, and I independently like him a lot.

Buuuuuuuuuut I'm not scared of a MAC team.

Next year will be year 3 under Babers, and I expect us to be even better, and noticeably so. I think that this offense takes 2 full years to click (I know Babers said 1.5, but I've always thought 2). So, I think that next year's O will make strides like this year's D, and we KO'd Clemson THIS YEAR. More importantly, though, the Clemson game wasn't a fluke. We went toe to toe w/ NCSU, FSU, LSU, and Miami.

I think that we crush directional Michigan, and that's not putting them down. I'm sure they'll be pretty good, but we will just be way better.

As long as our crew, especially Eric, learned from the MTSU debacle, ie don't have a mancrush/don't worry about your former coach, then we will be fine. I think Dino will make sure everyone has their head on straight

I truly believe that Scott would still be our head coach if he had started off with Tim as our OC
I have often wondered about that, but after Terrel Hunt went down he was doomed. Lots of stupid decisions like not wanting Jerome back.

Lester never really had a good offensive system.

I have often wondered about that, but after Terrel Hunt went down he was doomed. Lots of stupid decisions like not wanting Jerome back.

As I understand it, Lester preferred Dungey to Hunt. Sad as it was for Hunt, it was a kind of perverse stroke of luck for the team that he went down when he did. As for Jerome Smith, it was That Numbskull George McDonald who drove him off.

I think Tim Lester's a terrific guy and I wish him well, but there's probably nothing I care less about than Western Michigan football. SU fans' rooting allegiances are a funny thing...

I actually liked his system.

There were a decent number of big plays his one season at the helm.

And he developed Dungey and Mahoney very well, plus he lost both Hunt and Dungey that year.

Finally, you have to recall that even Dino Babers maintains that it takes time to install a new offensive system.

For the limited time he had, I think Tim Lester did quite well on the Hill.

Next year will be year 3 under Babers, and I expect us to be even better, and noticeably so. I think that this offense takes 2 full years to click (I know Babers said 1.5, but I've always thought 2). So, I think that next year's O will make strides like this year's D, and we KO'd Clemson THIS YEAR. More importantly, though, the Clemson game wasn't a fluke. We went toe to toe w/ NCSU, FSU, LSU, and Miami.

I think that we crush directional Michigan. . . . .

Yes, we should be better than Western Mich.

The D made strides because the core group in the front seven (all 3 senior LBs and the 2 starting DTs) grew up in their 4th season, the young DEs were bolstered by adding jucos to the rotation (particularly Robinson), and the secondary was revamped significantly (bigger roles for Foster, Bradshaw & Fredrick), and grad transfers were added. Ward had a second year to work with the players, but it didn't happen without his off-season work to upgrade the talent & depth. The LB unit is the key to the next step.

Next year's O will have 8 returning starters, and Roberts returns (takes a shuffle in the OL roles -- maybe Adams moves to OT). The OL and running game should be better. So, what's the issue? Does the passing game get better automatically in Babers' year 3, or maybe we need to see who steps up at WR? Because, let's be clear, the passing game is the straw that stirs the drink.

At one point I think I would've agreed with you, but now, looking back at how the defense regressed under Bullough, I don't know that it would've been much different.

Yes, we should be better than Western Mich.

The D made strides because the core group in the front seven (all 3 senior LBs and the 2 starting DTs) grew up in their 4th season, the young DEs were bolstered by adding jucos to the rotation (particularly Robinson), and the secondary was revamped significantly (bigger roles for Foster, Bradshaw & Fredrick), and grad transfers were added. Ward had a second year to work with the players, but it didn't happen without his off-season work to upgrade the talent & depth. The LB unit is the key to the next step.

Next year's O will have 8 returning starters, and Roberts returns (takes a shuffle in the OL roles -- maybe Adams moves to OT). The OL and running game should be better. So, what's the issue? Does the passing game get better automatically in Babers' year 3, or maybe we need to see who steps up at WR? Because, let's be clear, the passing game is the straw that stirs the drink.
There are a lot of wrong routes (or at least miscommunication between QB and WR), Dungey doesn't see the entire field, and he's always running for his life.

An extra year of the system fixes #1, and extra year of experience fixes #2, and a better OL and running game fixes #3.

AAAAANNNNNDDDDD, as you pointed out, the running game and the passing game are linked. So as the passing game improves, so too will the running game, thereby creating a virtuous circle.

Also, I have a lot of faith that 1-2 players will emerge out of nowhere. They always do.

There are a lot of wrong routes (or at least miscommunication between QB and WR), Dungey doesn't see the entire field, and he's always running for his life.

An extra year of the system fixes #1, and extra year of experience fixes #2, and a better OL and running game fixes #3.

AAAAANNNNNDDDDD, as you pointed out, the running game and the passing game are linked. So as the passing game improves, so too will the running game, thereby creating a virtuous circle.

Also, I have a lot of faith that 1-2 players will emerge out of nowhere. They always do.
Interesting. So, on offense, who emerged this season out of nowhere? Maybe Elmore as an H back? Pierce from a juco?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom