Western Michigan is bowling | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Western Michigan is bowling

I actually liked his system.

There were a decent number of big plays his one season at the helm.

And he developed Dungey and Mahoney very well, plus he lost both Hunt and Dungey that year.

Finally, you have to recall that even Dino Babers maintains that it takes time to install a new offensive system.

For the limited time he had, I think Tim Lester did quite well on the Hill.
Can't prove it by any metrics.
I thought his "system" was all over the place and just a jumble of disparate plays.

Still your point is valid about the time needed.

Interesting. So, on offense, who emerged this season out of nowhere? Maybe Elmore as an H back? Pierce from a juco?
Even though he's a 4 year starter, you could argue Ishmael. He's gonna double all of his stats from last year.

Can't prove it by any metrics.
I thought his "system" was all over the place and just a jumble of disparate plays.

Still your point is valid about the time needed.

I liked it.

Option, deep passes down the middle of the field - the express hybrid back.

With very little time Tim developed a system that at times moved the ball pretty well.

Even Mahoney had some success that season with very little prep time.

I liked it.

With very little time Tim developed a system that at times moved the ball pretty well.

Mahoney is a good triple option QB. If we had decided to just go triple we would probaby done OK.

I liked it.

Yes -- and whatever system that was, Tim varied the game plans week to week (by necessity) depending on which QB was available. He talked about finding the plays that each QB was comfortable running. It would be difficult to imagine a season more challenging at the QB position than 2014 (Lester was the QB coach, then elevated to OC) -- with Hunt injured, and a rotation of the untested AJ Long and Wilson, and Kimble. The 2015 season was slightly better because the true frosh Dungey was better than the 2014 fill-ins as Hunt's replacement, but then Dungey couldn't go against LSU and was out for the November games. His skill players included a true frosh RB (Jordan Fredericks) and a true frosh hybrid (Strickland). That any system proved capable on occasions was a near miracle.

Even though he's a 4 year starter, you could argue Ishmael. He's gonna double all of his stats from last year.

True, but Ishmael didn't come out of nowhere. He played a lot as a true frosh (contributing more than any true frosh WR since Alex Lemon), and was a full time starter as a soph and junior. He was expected to be our leading receiver last season, until AET came in. And with AET leaving, it was obvious that Ishmael (along with Phillips, repeating his 2016 season) would get big numbers. Will Butler step up to AET/Ishmael numbers? Or who else?

True, but Ishmael didn't come out of nowhere. He played a lot as a true frosh (contributing more than any true frosh WR since Alex Lemon), and was a full time starter as a soph and junior. He was expected to be our leading receiver last season, until AET came in. And with AET leaving, it was obvious that Ishmael (along with Phillips, repeating his 2016 season) would get big numbers. Will Butler step up to AET/Ishmael numbers? Or who else?
As a fan and someone familiar with the team we saw that possibility. An outsider going by the numbers may see it differently, especially given his stats last year as a starter. How common is it for a 4 year starter to double his junior year stats as a senior? If he, as a freshman, had upper classman in front of him the way our younger wr's are waiting behind him, he would've been unknown. In the same way, once Ish and Erv leave, it is likely some guys we've seen glimpses of this year we be pushed to the forefront and produce. I believe that was the main point.

Lester was roughly 1000x better than McF*#%it - but I’m not sure what that actually says

Lester was roughly 1000x better than McF*#%it - but I’m not sure what that actually says
NCSU's WR coach belongs on GRob's staff.

I always thought Mitch Browning was too good for GRob, anyway. Maybe they traded places in some alternate timeline.

I'm plan on following his career a bit. I don't think we really got to see whether he was any good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom