We've never won a game as an underdog in the Sweet 16 | Syracusefan.com

We've never won a game as an underdog in the Sweet 16

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
At least in the modern era (field of 64) we've never won a game as the lower seed in the Sweet 16. Every time we've made it past the Sweet 16 it was as a higher seed.

We've been upset quite a few times as the lower seed. I'd love to see us put an end to this pattern and pull of an upset of a #1 seed.

I can believe that. Didn't SWC do some extensive research recently that showed that JB's worst round BY FAR is the S16?

I can believe that. Didn't SWC do some extensive research recently that showed that JB's worst round BY FAR is the S16?
It's not even close, the Sweet 16 is by far JB's biggest nemesis. He's only won 5 games in the Sweet 16. I think his record is in the 5-10 range.

It's not even close, the Sweet 16 is by far JB's biggest nemesis. He's only won 5 games in the Sweet 16. I think his record is in the 5-10 range.

That's hist BET Final record. His Sweet 16 record is worse. Hoping to see it improve Thursday. Back to back Elite 8s has never been done before in the history of the program. It would be an awesome accomplishment.

Did you see that stat during our game: Rick Pitino has won 10 Sweet 16 games in a row. W---T---F??? I mean angels literally have to descend from the heavens for us to win a Sweet 16 game.

Did you see that stat during our game: Rick Pitino has won 10 Sweet 16 games in a row. W---T---F??? I mean angels literally have to descend from the heavens for us to win a Sweet 16 game.

It's really odd 17 sweet 16s in 37 years is amazing at almost 50 percent clip. To advance 5 times is terrible.

That's hist BET Final record. His Sweet 16 record is worse. Hoping to see it improve Thursday. Back to back Elite 8s has never been done before in the history of the program. It would be an awesome accomplishment.
I went back and looked it up, his Sweet 16 record is 5-9, which is very close to his BET Championship game record (5-10). Let's hope he doesn't equal it on Thursday.

He definitely gets his money's worth out of of this players.....and the refs.

I went back and looked it up, his Sweet 16 record is 5-9, which is very close to his BET Championship game record (5-10). Let's hope he doesn't equal it on Thursday.

I'm pretty sure that is not correct. He has more Sweet 16s than that. Off the top of my head, I think he is 5-11.

The extra prep that the opponent gets is huge.

This would be a great challenge for SWC. It always amazes me that JB does so terribly in the Sweet 16 when the quality of team you play in that round is not much different than an upper echelon BE team. For instance, it is approximately equal in difficulty to reach a BET Final as an Elite 8, yet he has done that 15 times. He has a much higher win pct against ranked teams than he does in the Sweet 16, and many of those games are on the road (of course some at home too). It must be the prep time the opponents get, I assume.

So my question is: what is JB's winning percentage when the other team is coming off 4+ days of rest? That would be very difficult to figure out, clearly, but would be interesting none-the-less.

I'm pretty sure that is not correct. He has more Sweet 16s than that. Off the top of my head, I think he is 5-11.
5-11 is correct if you include the 1970's...little before my time.

Love the fact that Indiana won't slow it down mid major style as that is our nemesis... I want to see action up and down, as we thrive on that... We went to sleep against cal as both teams walked the ball up the court... Never mind Indiana has those tiny guards and we have 6-4, 6-6 monsters that can go And 1 mix tape on anyone. They will need luck guarding a PG that is 6 inches taller than their guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dumb stat. Most years SU is a sweet 16 team but not elite 8/final 4 school. Just the level of our program over the years.

Basically you're telling us we've lost a lot of sweet 16 games. Well...no sherlock everyone knows this. And it comes with the territory of making the sweet 16 a lot when you are not Kentucky or Duke.

Not much shame in making the sweet 16 every other year basically is there? Even if you lost most.

Taking last years teams aside for those of you bashing JB would you please tell me which team from 2004 to 2011 was a bonafide final 4 squad? I am as big a Cuse homer as any but last year is the only year since Carmelo that the team should have definitively gone to the final 4.

And of course the prep time argument is countered by his unblemished record in national semi-final games. These are better opponents with even more prep time. Now since there is such a small number of games in that category we can't say we have a great feel for the mean, but still, the whole thing is a curiosity.

Dumb stat. Most years SU is a sweet 16 team but not elite 8/final 4 school. Just the level of our program over the years.

Basically you're telling us we've lost a lot of sweet 16 games. Well...no sherlock everyone knows this. And it comes with the territory of making the sweet 16 a lot when you are not Kentucky or Duke.

Not much shame in making the sweet 16 every other year basically is there? Even if you lost most.

Taking last years teams aside for those of you bashing JB would you please tell me which team from 2004 to 2011 was a bonafide final 4 squad? I am as big a Cuse homer as any but last year is the only year since Carmelo that the team should have definitively gone to the final 4.

First of all, nobody is bashing JB. We are discussing an important part of his statistical history and trying to understand why it is such an outlier from his normal results. Secondly, your question is irrelevant. What George Mason squad should have gone to the FF? What Butler squad? VCU? UConn 2011? And so on. That is just not a valid question.

2004 we should have beat alabama, they were an 8 seed and uconn absolutely destroyed them in elite 8. we were clearly looking ahead to uconn and sleepwalked through most of that game. we werent beating uconn but bama was a bad loss. 2005 was the vermont debacle but we had a favorable draw that year, definitely could have been f4 team. 2010 we still should have beat butler even without AO, another sweet 16 game that we basically didnt show up, didnt we fall behind 10-0 or something?

Good points last 2 posts but I respectfully disagree with the 2 last posts. I just don't think any of the teams were that good and thus were exposed (and thats looking at if from afar and judging those years teams overall not just looking at the games we lost and who our next opponent was.)

history aside i like that this matchup should get jb's vengeful competitive juices going. In the past it has always seemed that certain games he just relishes the chance to bury a demon and throw the kitchen sink at a team to win. i could see him throwing some offensive wrinkles and coaching the hell out of this team to get a little revenge on iu in the tourney.. i know we beat them a few years back during shumpert's freshman year but this being a tourney game alongside daily reminders of mr smarts shot.. im betting he will have the boys ready to roll and jump out of the gate.

It's not a dumb stat, it's reality. If you've followed 'Cuse for a long time you will know that the Sweet 16 is difficult for us to get beyond. We've laid quite a few eggs: Charlotte, Penn, Iowa, Virginia, Minnesota, Alabama, Butler. We've also failed to pull off the great upset vs. the likes of Missouri, Duke, Michigan State, Oklahoma.

He's 5-7 as the lower seed in the Sweet 16 and 0-4 as the higher seed.

This year is different. Syracuse might be a 4 seed, but their schedule was more difficult than Indiana's, & really, this CUSE team is a 1 seed quality team.

I watched Indiana today, & I am not impressed.

They have some speed, & that one great player, but Zeller was pedestrian at best, & I think we would swallow him up 7 times out of 10.

The guards will not be able to shoot over our guards all game, & I think they will have more trouble scoring than they did against Temple.

If they do try to get all track meet on us, we will kill them. You can't do that against a zone, or you die...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom