What’s the deal? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What’s the deal?

Um - I hate to have to explain to you how life works, but…I’ve interviewed people for positions when we hadn’t fired the incumbent yet. It’s not only not unusual - it’s not abnormal.

If that’s your reason, it’s based entirely on not understanding how the world actually works.

I don’t know what business you’re in but I was a manager for 20 years and hired dozens of people, laid off some and fired a few. In 20 years I never once interviewed someone for a position that wasn’t open. HR would never let you even post the job.

I don’t know what business you’re in but I was a manager for 20 years and hired dozens of people, laid off some and fired a few. In 20 years I never once interviewed someone for a position that wasn’t open. HR would never let you even post the job.
Depends on the role … hiring for someone anchoring a position is easier at companies that are less risk adverse to labor laws. Startups do this as well as the more moderately sized businesses. A company like the one you work for makes that painful.

Yeah typically if you’re about to fire someone, I would imagine the coordinating and coaching of the person who will be doing it is the main thing HR would be worried about until it happens. Organizations plan for the future, but typically decisions on individual people is often not something that is planned long term.

It’s really common with executives.

The benefit of firing him now is it shows Syracuse still has some STANDARDS.

Our standards have went straight down the toilet with how we handled the basketball job. We have none. Now with Dino it shows Wildhack doesn’t care how the fans feel nor how our football program looks.

Dino has proven time and time again that he isn’t the answer. Why keep him on when the ending is inevitable? Why not do something to appease the fans at this point. Firing him now shows us that Wildhack will not accept this brand of football. Gives us some hope. A little hope would go a long way right now.

And coaches!!!

Which is all that really matters here, right?

We canned GERG & FHCSMFS prior to their final games.

Why wait??

The sooner we do this inevitable thing, the sooner we have a replacement, before all the other teams also start looking for a replacement HC when they fire their current ones.

Why not have the most runway and the largest potential pool of HC candidates?

There’s zero benefit to waiting at this point -
I’m sure even Dino knows he’s a dead man walking now.

Usually your company doesn't do it directly. But they retain an outside recruiter to surface candidates.
Surfacing potential candidates is not literally bringing people in to interview them before an employee is terminated.

I’ve worked with executives for two decades across a vast array of companies. And I’ve never heard a single one say they were contacted to interview for a job of someone who was yet to be let go, but wasn’t yet.

What specific industry are you talking about?

I’ve worked with executives for two decades across a vast array of companies. And I’ve never heard a single one say they were contacted to interview for a job of someone who was yet to be let go, but wasn’t yet.

What specific industry are you talking about?
Tech.

And coaches!!!

Which is all that really matters here, right?

We canned GERG & FHCSMFS prior to their final games.

Why wait??

The sooner we do this inevitable thing, the sooner we have a replacement, before all the other teams also start looking for a replacement HC when they fire their current ones.

Why not have the most runway and the largest potential pool of HC candidates?

There’s zero benefit to waiting at this point -
I’m sure even Dino knows he’s a dead man walking now.
Would you have waited to see what transpired with a record like this. Whose record is this? It's a test - you'll be graded in the morning.

Syracuse Orangemen/Orange (Big East Conference) (1991–2004)
1991Syracuse10–25–0W Hall of Fame1111
1992Syracuse10–26–1W Fiesta76
1993Syracuse6–4–13–45th
1994Syracuse7–44–3T–3rd
1995Syracuse9–35–23rdW Gator1619
1996Syracuse9–36–1T–1stW Liberty1921
1997Syracuse9–46–11stL Fiesta2021
1998Syracuse8–46–11stL Orange2425
1999Syracuse7–53–4T–3rdW Music City
2000Syracuse6–54–3T–3rd
2001Syracuse10–36–12ndW Insight.com1414
2002Syracuse4–82–5T–6th
2003Syracuse6–62–5T–6th
2004Syracuse6–64–2T–1stL Champs Sports

You have to build your team around your QB. Do you think Del Rio Wilson is that QB?

I don't- , 4 interceptions and I don't know how many he threw into the ground in front of the receiver.

The reason I included the results above are because we had good QB's. Who were they? Vick didn't show in 1996 becuase his momma wanted him to stay home. McNabb had him convinced SU was it - then he spoke to his mother and the rest is history.

I'm giving you the answers here but why was Pasqualoni fired? No QB?

Looks like the portal to me. Leave Dino alone. Whatta' going to do clone Shrader, who isn't the answer either? I give Dino the benefit of the doubt here. No All American receiver, no QB. plenty of injuries - what's he going to do wish he could win with an OL who can't block?

Go ahead hire a new coach then you go through 2-3 years of having his new O and D gel before W's begin to arrive. It's the same ole, same old.

Would you have waited to see what transpired with a record like this. Whose record is this? It's a test - you'll be graded in the morning.

Syracuse Orangemen/Orange (Big East Conference) (1991–2004)
1991Syracuse10–25–0W Hall of Fame1111
1992Syracuse10–26–1W Fiesta76
1993Syracuse6–4–13–45th
1994Syracuse7–44–3T–3rd
1995Syracuse9–35–23rdW Gator1619
1996Syracuse9–36–1T–1stW Liberty1921
1997Syracuse9–46–11stL Fiesta2021
1998Syracuse8–46–11stL Orange2425
1999Syracuse7–53–4T–3rdW Music City
2000Syracuse6–54–3T–3rd
2001Syracuse10–36–12ndW Insight.com1414
2002Syracuse4–82–5T–6th
2003Syracuse6–62–5T–6th
2004Syracuse6–64–2T–1stL Champs Sports

You have to build your team around your QB. Do you think Del Rio Wilson is that QB?

I don't- , 4 interceptions and I don't know how many he threw into the ground in front of the receiver.

The reason I included the results above are because we had good QB's. Who were they? Vick didn't show in 1996 becuase his momma wanted him to stay home. McNabb had him convinced SU was it - then he spoke to his mother and the rest is history.

I'm giving you the answers here but why was Pasqualoni fired? No QB?

Looks like the portal to me. Leave Dino alone. Whatta' going to do clone Shrader, who isn't the answer either? I give Dino the benefit of the doubt here. No All American receiver, no QB. plenty of injuries - what's he going to do wish he could win with an OL who can't block?

Go ahead hire a new coach then you go through 2-3 years of having his new O and D gel before W's begin to arrive. It's the same ole, same old.
Good for you, man. Seriously. Someone has to have Dino’s back around here.

It might be common to get a search committee together before they’re “officially” fired, but you’re not officially making calls searching for a CFO before the guy/gal knows he/she is gone. Doesn’t make any sense. You transition them to an “advisor” role and then you run a formal process. You might have a candidate in mind but holding interviews with them still in the office is a terrible idea.

It might be common to get a search committee together before they’re “officially” fired, but you’re not officially making calls searching for a CFO before the guy/gal knows he’s gone. Doesn’t make any sense. You transition them to an “advisor” role and then you run a formal process. You might have a candidate in mine but holding interviews with them still in the office is a terrible idea.
I literally just got hired into a new executive role under those very circumstances.

I literally just got hired as a CFO while there was a CFO in place that didn’t know a transition was taking place. That happens all the time.
“All the time?” No. I don’t believe for a second the CFO wasn’t either on the process of retiring or transitioning out. Unless this was some mom and pop shop, that process would never fly at a mid to large company, especially not one where the position is in the limelight (public).

“All the time?” No. I don’t believe for a second the CFO wasn’t either on the process of retiring or transitioning out. Unless this was some mom and pop shop, that process would never fly at a mid to large company, especially not one where the position is in the limelight (public).
Believe whether the hell you want. When you’re in industries where there is heavy M&A executives get turned over and they often don’t know it’s coming. Because you inherit someone you don’t want to keep and you’re going to term them once you have a person on board.

Not every executive is valued enough to keep them around as an advisor. But you also can’t have an empty seat. If a company was just acquired and ownership is trying to drive change and the incumbent isn’t embracing that, they’ll often start a search unbeknownst to the incumbent and then term them when the new person starts. And yes this is not a unique situation, it happens often.

Last edited:
Believe whether the hell you want. When you’re in industries where this is heavy M&A executives get turned over and they often don’t know it’s coming. Because you inherit someone you don’t want to keep and you’re going to term them once you have a person on board.
Okay, as someone who has been in corporate M&A for a decade and has worked on numerous public and private transactions, even PE firms wouldn’t run processes like this. They, at worst, fire the person, move the VP up to interim and conduct a search. Idk what dopey firm you’re working for but I would run away in a heart beat. If PE firms have the decency to inform executives of their dismissal before starting a hiring process then anyone who doesn’t isn’t worth your time. You do you, but your firm is FAR from the norm.

Bottom line. It sends out a message that we are serious about football. A message to incoming players, transferring players, and fans. It just really makes that message clear as opposing to waiting.

I agree, for me, completely emotional. Lack of control as a fan base. Seeing that product on the field and wanting someone to do something, anything, about it.

I feel the same with the presser. I get having a certain way to deal with the media, but we’re not blind. Non-answers and no real plan moving forward other than hugging it out was beyond frustrating.

I guess it burns me the people that invest in the team and support the university and community (when I go to a game it’s, hotels, food, gas, spending money in downtime) are the ones sit in the dark while the millionaires in their ivory towers sit around and play monopoly and tell the fanbase nothing.
I get the team isn’t doing well and really hasn’t for a few days. Dino definitely is respponsible. But seeing people say they feel like we’re a laughing stock (who is? The team? I’m just a fan and I’ve seen no one pubiclically laughing, and if they are that’s you’re fault.

‘the football teams perfor says nothing aboout me, except that I chose to stand by them thick and then. I listened to much worse on the radio in the 70s, I’m not sure theyre worse than that. But ya know what, until they disband the orogram, I’m there, watching every game, buying gear and sending positive energy.

is Dino out? Probably, is it a good thing, I’ll tell ya when we get the next coach. But all of this butt hut crap about being embarrassed, not going to games ‘til… and the rest of the complaining is crap.

bad plays, bad calls, bad coaching is fine. But these are young men we’d like to see stay at SU. None of this is helping.

I’m there till I’m dead, they will win until they lose and I love SU no matter what. I’m not an alum unfortunately but I makes me wonder how die hard fans can hate so much. Always thought that way.

And no I’m not apologizing for anything, it’s not my place since I’ve never put on a pad for the team. Dungey can, I can’t.

We have repeatedly embarrassed ourselves on national TV this season. We may be THE laughingstock of college football.

Any remaining TV appearance in which we can demonstrate that we’ve taken steps to correct the problem rather than bending over and accepting it as our fate would be a PR win.

Forget any of the race nonsense. That doesn’t play after 8 - eight - years of excessive patience and tolerance.

Depends on the role … hiring for someone anchoring a position is easier at companies that are less risk adverse to labor laws. Startups do this as well as the more moderately sized businesses. A company like the one you work for makes that painful.
Yep 100%. The guys that are adamant about this not happening are probably at large cap companies with large infrastructure. Publicly traded probably as well. I can confirm at Mid Market companies that are recently PE acquired it happens often irrespective of what anyone else says.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom