What’s the gameplan? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What’s the gameplan?

But according to red, offense isn’t the problem
When you make a few shots, your defense improves. Just like baseball, get a broken bat bloop single and you have a little more pep in your step on defense.

When you make a few shots, your defense improves. Just like baseball, get a broken bat bloop single and you have a little more pep in your step on defense.
It improves for people aren’t taught how to be good defenders. D1 players should ALWAYS be playing their best defense.

That was 100% going to be my answer. A friend, UCONN grad and fan, said to me earlier in the year, well, they will get better as the season goes on, right? I said No. The problem is that they have fatal weaknesses that will limit what they can do the entire season. We can't play against a good team. Now it appears, we can't play against an average team on the road.
True, but we can play harder, smarter, and less selfishly. We can compete and we don't.

I ask this in all seriousness - we go into each game and it doesn’t even feel like we have a plan. Offensively or defensively.

Our offense consists of one on one play and erratic crap, and defensively our team is regressing.

After 22 games or so, you’d think we would be improving in all phases. Quite the opposite. Not good.
After red has hit shot .. hire gmac as the head coach .. then if he falls go to AG …

Judah isn’t a winning player.

He’s also very talented and our best player.

Sad but true. Both statements.
I don't know that. He was a winning player when he was in high school. Playing against the best comp. Which Freeman hasn't been able to pull off. What pt guard could win with this cast that he currently has?

I don't know that. He was a winning player when he was in high school. Playing against the best comp. Which Freeman hasn't been able to pull off. What pt guard could win with this cast that he currently has?
Are you saying we should be concerned that freeman doesn’t know how to win?

Our point guard also just pounds the rock into the floor relentlessly. He plays for the name on the back of the jersey not the front. He makes the game so much harder than it needs to be
Good players do the opposite. Judah could be great, I really believe he has no intention to adjust his game and get there.

meh. I don’t agree. Wish it was different. Supporting cast stinks yes I would agree, but he doesn’t really make his teammates better by pounding the ball into the ground. Additionally, his defense is subpar. He’s not alone, but it is.

Y'all digressed from the original question. Thought it was a good question.

What is Reds plan? Just do O.

I honestly don't know.

I don’t disagree. I have been beating the drum that we need better players. That much is obvious. At all positions. Even Brown is limited. No shooting = no spacing = not any space for your best player to maneuver. And your best player is also severely flawed.

That said, I have seen no evidence that our game planning is very good. We run no offense. We have no clue about defensive situations or how to play different types of offenses. Wake Forest carved us up. They are not that good.

Both things can be true. Coaching needs to improve just as much as talent acquisition. I get talent helps make coaches look better but coaches help average players in the same manner, if they’re good enough.
We have a lot of players that don’t listen and follow coaching very well either. This is a frustrating and fundamentally flawed group.

I ask this in all seriousness - we go into each game and it doesn’t even feel like we have a plan. Offensively or defensively.

Our offense consists of one on one play and erratic crap, and defensively our team is regressing.

After 22 games or so, you’d think we would be improving in all phases. Quite the opposite. Not good.
There are defenders of HCAA.
There are defenders of players.
And I get it.
But I’ve never seen an SU team appear to run no plays.
And, yes, under Boeheim we often shot 3’s early clock and didn’t get a rebound.

but this seems like parking lot pickup hoops against more organized teams.

Great title to a thread. Seriously there is no answer. Could this be the worst team in 40 years. Record probably wont be but play looks like it. Really 0 good wins. Oregon was decimated by injury. Every loss other than BC is by more than 15 points. Absolutely crushed in pretty much every road game. I want Red to succeed but this is getting scary.

Freeman’s team won their championship last year
He also was arguably the best player on the best AAU team in the country over the summer. I don’t get where Dasher is getting this from.

What should the game plan be? Limiting possessions. Slowing things down and being more disciplined on offense. Finding better shots. We can’t outgun teams but we run free like we are an efficient offense. We are a terrible offensive team.
We have a top 30 pace this season. You know what happens when you are not an efficient offensive team with a high pace? This. You give the other teams more possessions they score on them and margins grow. Slow it down and control the pace. We need to grind out wins with this team.

What should the game plan be? Limiting possessions. Slowing things down and being more disciplined on offense. Finding better shots. We can’t outgun teams but we run free like we are an efficient offense. We are a terrible offensive team.
We have a top 30 pace this season. You know what happens when you are not an efficient offensive team with a high pace? This. You give the other teams more possessions they score on them and margins grow. We are an opportunistic defense. Slow it down and control the pace. We need to grind out wins with this team.
Agreed. Look back at the 2010-2014 teams for efficient offense. Even those teams picked and chose pace. We were 59th in 2010. In the 200s in 2011-13. Those teams were fun to watch but didn’t play this fast. And were much, much, much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom