What a Wild Ride it is Going to Be | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What a Wild Ride it is Going to Be

Love that JO is back, for a short time. Was at the PC and spoke with coach and others. It is imperative that we all contribute. We have the opportunity to change the entire narrative around Syracuse and Syracuse football. Don’t be shy, contribute by purchasing season tickets, NIL donations and other community initiatives. Coach Brown was by far the best interview. Chesney, Cable and the others weren’t even close!!

It has been many years since my last post. But what a time to be back (at least for a short time). Syracuse and AD John Wildhack just knocked the cover off the ball with Fran Brown and team. This program is officially back in business after a 20 year hiatus. Make no mistake - this is a damaged brand due to mediocre performance and malaise - but Fran and team are reversing that narrative immediately in a way that very few coaches would be able to do.

Fran is an incredible talent as a recruiter, player developer, tactician, communicator and motivator. The staff that Fran has compiled (including some names that will soon be revealed) is second to none from a recruiting perspective. Some Syracuse fans (and the many detractors of Syracuse who are not Syracuse fans) used to say it is impossible to land Top 25 classes at Syracuse - - private school, bad weather, limited fan support, limited financial support etc. I always thought that narrative was untrue. But get ready for that to change in a big way. I would not be particularly happy to be a fan of Rutgers, BC, PSU, Pitt or anyone else hunting in the Northeast for talent. I think a top 15/20 class is eventually possible with this staff.

And not only does Syracuse have an elite staff in place. They have the winning pitch for many of these top end players who are being recruited by schools we have no business competing against. You will have a real chance to start here as a true freshman.

I understand the concerns about coaching experience. But just because someone is an “Ace” recruiter does not mean they do not know the Xs and Os. They are not mutually exclusive. Some people are simply good at everything. These guys are excellent technical coaches from what I have been told.

You will undoubtedly see Paul Pasqualoni around more often – go ask Paul what he thinks about Fran Brown. George DeLeone certainly recognized him as an up-and-coming coaching star. Love the pending hire of Nixon as OC and also think people will view the offensive line coaching hire very positively once announced. This staff will compare with any staff in the ACC. The talent will follow and the Cuse will soon be in the running for ACC championships.

A few thoughts on the process and the hire:

AD: Syracuse has an incredible athletic director. Best in the business in my opinion. The diligence conducted on this process was second to none. He is looking to win championships, not run a “hedged strategy” by minimizing downside risk (which was my concern around Chesney + staff). Hats off to this man on a job well done. And what did the process reveal - our biggest issue was not the minutiae of coaching decisions or player development or scheme - - it was TALENT, TALENT and TALENT. We were not even close with the top-level of the ACC based on film. Something that was not going to be solved by most of the coaches in the mix.

Dino: Sincere thanks to Dino for 8 great years. He is a tremendous human being and a true leader of young adults who did things the right way. His ability to establish a positive, winning, family culture is second to none. I was concerned that we would lose some of those strengths with a new hire, but we managed to retain that incredible asset PLUS much more.

Recruiting: Not only will recruiting improve, but our recruiting operations will improve (building a funnel, narrowing to a monitoring pipeline, streamlined evaluation and prioritization). This ultimately leads to the best ability to cover the broader universe and focus efforts. Georgia has the best institutional recruiting system and that is what FB will implement here.

Diligence: Ultimately the diligence finding from the coaching process were all talent related: (a) no pass rushers, (b) no cover corners and (c) no playmakers at WR. Many felt that teams had figured out the 3-3-5, figured out how to eliminate the confusion and free rushers, and we were generally left without any capability to rush the QB from the DL. A huge departure from historical SU under Coach P. The first priority will be to get much bigger and faster at DL.

Offense: Love the return to power running, and being multiple in the run game. This doesn’t mean we will not have a sophisticated passing game, but this program is never going to be successful sitting back and throwing the ball 40x per game.

Defense: The defense will be built from the DL out. Big defensive tackles and explosive pass rushers. The model that FSU used to shut down Louisville which is similar to the general SEC approach.

Going to be great to watch the talent pipeline and coaching pipeline develop, particularly if we are able to win 9 games next year.
Welcome back! Don't have much to say. Just wanted to get into this thread for posterity.

I don’t think this man can fail. He’s been through too much and climbed so high given nothing but his inner strength and beliefs. This is a coach that has you running through walls and being happy to do so. This coach is will win games and make winners at life.

Of course I may be wrong but what I saw at the presser was so real, raw and passionate that I have the blind faith needed to follow…..and I am a negative 5 star recruit.

It has been many years since my last post. But what a time to be back (at least for a short time). Syracuse and AD John Wildhack just knocked the cover off the ball with Fran Brown and team. This program is officially back in business after a 20 year hiatus. Make no mistake - this is a damaged brand due to mediocre performance and malaise - but Fran and team are reversing that narrative immediately in a way that very few coaches would be able to do.

Fran is an incredible talent as a recruiter, player developer, tactician, communicator and motivator. The staff that Fran has compiled (including some names that will soon be revealed) is second to none from a recruiting perspective. Some Syracuse fans (and the many detractors of Syracuse who are not Syracuse fans) used to say it is impossible to land Top 25 classes at Syracuse - - private school, bad weather, limited fan support, limited financial support etc. I always thought that narrative was untrue. But get ready for that to change in a big way. I would not be particularly happy to be a fan of Rutgers, BC, PSU, Pitt or anyone else hunting in the Northeast for talent. I think a top 15/20 class is eventually possible with this staff.

And not only does Syracuse have an elite staff in place. They have the winning pitch for many of these top end players who are being recruited by schools we have no business competing against. You will have a real chance to start here as a true freshman.

I understand the concerns about coaching experience. But just because someone is an “Ace” recruiter does not mean they do not know the Xs and Os. They are not mutually exclusive. Some people are simply good at everything. These guys are excellent technical coaches from what I have been told.

You will undoubtedly see Paul Pasqualoni around more often – go ask Paul what he thinks about Fran Brown. George DeLeone certainly recognized him as an up-and-coming coaching star. Love the pending hire of Nixon as OC and also think people will view the offensive line coaching hire very positively once announced. This staff will compare with any staff in the ACC. The talent will follow and the Cuse will soon be in the running for ACC championships.

AD: Syracuse has an incredible athletic director. Best in the business in my opinion. The diligence conducted on this process was second to none. He is looking to win championships, not run a “hedged strategy” by minimizing downside risk (which was my concern around Chesney + staff). Hats off to this man on a job well done. And what did the process reveal - our biggest issue was not the minutiae of coaching decisions or player development or scheme - - it was TALENT, TALENT and TALENT. We were not even close with the top-level of the ACC based on film. Something that was not going to be solved by most of the coaches in the mix.

Dino: Sincere thanks to Dino for 8 great years. He is a tremendous human being and a true leader of young adults who did things the right way. His ability to establish a positive, winning, family culture is second to none. I was concerned that we would lose some of those strengths with a new hire, but we managed to retain that incredible asset PLUS much more.

Recruiting: Not only will recruiting improve, but our recruiting operations will improve (building a funnel, narrowing to a monitoring pipeline, streamlined evaluation and prioritization). This ultimately leads to the best ability to cover the broader universe and focus efforts. Georgia has the best institutional recruiting system and that is what FB will implement here.

Diligence: Ultimately the diligence finding from the coaching process were all talent related: (a) no pass rushers, (b) no cover corners and (c) no playmakers at WR. Many felt that teams had figured out the 3-3-5, figured out how to eliminate the confusion and free rushers, and we were generally left without any capability to rush the QB from the DL. A huge departure from historical SU under Coach P. The first priority will be to get much bigger and faster at DL.

Offense: Love the return to power running, and being multiple in the run game. This doesn’t mean we will not have a sophisticated passing game, but this program is never going to be successful sitting back and throwing the ball 40x per game.

Defense: The defense will be built from the DL out. Big defensive tackles and explosive pass rushers. The model that FSU used to shut down Louisville which is similar to the general SEC approach.

Going to be great to watch the talent pipeline and coaching pipeline develop, particularly if we are able to win 9 games next year.
Great post as always, Legend. Welcome back!

welcome back JO

Good to have you back!

JO - I know you were tied into the NJ high school coaching ranks back in the day. Any insight into why NJ coaches trust Fran so much? As a head coach, what type of outreach do you believe he will do in NJ to strengthen those already strong ties? DeLeone and Coach P fostered an incredibly important relationship with NJ coaches when NJ was somewhat overlooked for top-notch players.

Is it feasible that SU can regain its swagger in the Garden State when so many universities now mine the area for talent? In some ways, SU's ascension in the 80s and 90s is tied to the untapped NJ resources, much like VPI's rise was due to the untapped DelMarVa area. When the big boys started recruiting those areas, those ties didn't mean as much anymore. What does Fran and company need to do to plant the flag and (to borrow a term from Schiano) build a wall around the state?

With new HCFB it’s going to be​

IMG_0643.jpeg

It took Fran Brown, this thread, and the drunken giddiness of JoeCollege to awaken me from my years as a hermit from this fine establishment. When Joe said that Jersey Orange’s post was better than a night with my mom, I had to come back and check it out.

To all my SF friends and die hard SU fans I have not seen or spoken to in the last several years, hope all is well and that your lives are blessed. I think all of us will be blessed on the gridiron very, very soon as the program we cry and bleed for every single day is about to rise from the ashes…like me :)!!!

GO ORANGE!!!!

BTW…I spit my water out when I saw TexanMark’s thread title about RutgersAL entering the Transfer Portal. After all this time, Mark still has it! I bet he still cooks a mean frankfurter too!

It took Fran Brown, this thread, and the drunken giddiness of JoeCollege to awaken me from my years as a hermit from this fine establishment. When Joe said that Jersey Orange’s post was better than a night with my mom, I had to come back and check it out.

To all my SF friends and die hard SU fans I have not seen or spoken to in the last several years, hope all is well and that your lives are blessed. I think all of us will be blessed on the gridiron very, very soon as the program we cry and bleed for every single day is about to rise from the ashes…like me :)!!!

GO ORANGE!!!!

BTW…I spit my water out when I saw TexanMark’s thread title about RutgersAL entering the Transfer Portal. After all this time, Mark still has it! I bet he still cooks a mean frankfurter too!
JerseyOrange being back is good. Good for the board, good for Orange Football, good for America. Far better, than a night with MotherCalvin, but nowhere near as cheap. JO has proven time and again to be a valued, knowledgeable, and respected poster. Very glad that the combo of a new coach and the return of JO has lured so many board denizens out of their exile.

To paraphrase our beloved Opera Man, "Huzzah! Huzzah and hoo-ray for our much ballyhooed new Whiz-Bang coach, he from the gritty streets in the shadows of reviled Rutgers, here in our sleepy little burgh echoing the ancient cries of Pasqualoni, and DeLeone, and, dare one say, Brown."

JO - I know you were tied into the NJ high school coaching ranks back in the day. Any insight into why NJ coaches trust Fran so much? As a head coach, what type of outreach do you believe he will do in NJ to strengthen those already strong ties? DeLeone and Coach P fostered an incredibly important relationship with NJ coaches when NJ was somewhat overlooked for top-notch players.

Is it feasible that SU can regain its swagger in the Garden State when so many universities now mine the area for talent? In some ways, SU's ascension in the 80s and 90s is tied to the untapped NJ resources, much like VPI's rise was due to the untapped DelMarVa area. When the big boys started recruiting those areas, those ties didn't mean as much anymore. What does Fran and company need to do to plant the flag and (to borrow a term from Schiano) build a wall around the state?

Obviously a very different personality than George DeLeon but very similar In terms of the secret sauce.

They spend the time to develop relationships, they spend time at the schools, they stay in contact, they know how the teams are doing, remember the last conversation they had, talk X’s and O’s, provide career advice, text around holidays (well maybe not George with the texting :)) etc.

They do this Not because they view at as beneficial for recruiting, but because they are football junkies and love to do make personal connections.

So many people in this industry are always on to the next thing if there isn’t something you can do for them immediately.

Coach D developed many of these relationships over decades. Spent so much time at these schools he broke more than one hallway fight!

FB is the same way but better in the sense that he is younger and connect with the players better, particularly those coming from underprivileged backgrounds.

Welcome back, I hope you're well, and this is one hell of an assertion that I would love to see actually tried for more than five minutes

40+ passes once in 2022, zero times 2021, screw covid, twice in 19, 3 times in 18, 8 times in 16, 8 times in 17, zero times in 15, once in 14, twice in 13, 6 times in 12, once in 11, once in 10, twice in 09, once in 08, once in 07, once in 06, once in 05, zero times in 04, zero times in 03, once in 02

there was a lot more wrong with the team in 17 and 18 than how much we threw the ball. the offenses were kinda good and the defenses were atrocious. we have sure given "not throwing it 40 times" the college try while stinking on offense all the time for most of 20 years

Give me a big o-line full of some “dudes”, a 230 pound back, a multiple running game with a mobile QB any day of the week. Build downfield play action off of the running game with some vertical passing concepts and RPOs.

Nothing I like less than ball-control passing, bubble screens!

One thing that of course needs to improve from the Pasqualoni & DeLeone days, is we have to have modern spread passing concepts and be able to sling it and adjust when the run game is not working. This aspect is well within the skillsets of the offensive staff FB has compiled (and those who will be added) - and will be a material part of the offense. Not so much back in the P&D days.

In all seriousness great to see your name on here and hope you are doing well. What a time!

It’s 1997 in here again.
The comment I liked the most " we are going to run the ball, and stop the run".
The reason I like this it's the guys up front on both sides of the ball, are who win the games.
They don't get the most glory, but if you control the line of scrimmage on offense and defense, you win most games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom