What are important dates for declaring | Syracusefan.com

What are important dates for declaring

20Plus

What are the two dates for declaring and hiring an agent and also the dates for the workouts and what rules have changed since last year

Prospects will now have until 10 days after the NBA Draft combine to remove their name from draft consideration and maintain their eligibility.

This year, the NBA Draft combine runs from May 11-15 in Chicago, so the early-entry date will be May 25.

Old rule had the withdrawal deadline well before the combine and team workouts could take place, sometime in mid-April. Basically, the players had no time to gather feedback after declaring, so once they declared they were pretty much gone.

The new rule allows players to declare, participate in the combine (if invited) and in individual team workouts. They can do this after each season of college if they so choose, and still return to school as long as they don't hire an agent. The combine will invite around 65-70 players, from what I've read. So if you don't get that combine invite, it's a pretty good indication that you should return to school, or at least make other plans that don't involve being drafted.

They have to declare by April 24.
They have to then withdraw by May 25.

They have to declare by April 24.
They have to then withdraw by May 25.

I bet MR declares on the 24th. It would be nice if Lydon did not since he tweeted he wasn't going to. But anything can happen.

What do you think is better for player development? CBB or the D-League? It would be nice if some of the data miners could provide some statistical insight into what works best for players in terms of total NBA gross earnings. I think once you are in the D-league it is impossible to get out.

What do you think is better for player development? CBB or the D-League? It would be nice if some of the data miners could provide some statistical insight into what works best for players in terms of total NBA gross earnings. I think once you are in the D-league it is impossible to get out.

here's a different way to look at it:

I think the better avenue to the NBA for a player like Malachi is college v D-League.

here's a different way to look at it:

I think the better avenue to the NBA for a player like Malachi is college v D-League.

Playing more zone and potentially more SF is better for him than getting experience playing the role he would play for an NBA team?

Mal isn't going to be a superstar. He's a role player at best. If he ends up a starter, it should be considered a big win.

Playing more zone and potentially more SF is better for him than getting experience playing the role he would play for an NBA team?

Mal isn't going to be a superstar. He's a role player at best. If he ends up a starter, it should be considered a big win.

You think Mal will declare to play in the D-League? Put down the bong buddy.

Also, you failed to distinguish between better avenue and better venue for development, although I would probably dispute the latter point with you, but it is probably not worth it.

You think Mal will declare to play in the D-League? Put down the bong buddy.

Also, you failed to distinguish between better avenue and better venue for development, although I would probably dispute the latter point with you, but it is probably not worth it.

Many first year players play in the D League now. The NBA has, and is continuing to, vastly improve it as a developmental tool.

In 2014, fourteen first round draft picks played in the D league. It's part of the process now.

I can state this unequivocally - the more Mali plays zone the worse it is for him as it relates to his NBA prospects.

Love the new process for the kids, but hate how late the combine and final date are.

Many first year players play in the D League now. The NBA has, and is continuing to, vastly improve it as a developmental tool.

In 2014, fourteen first round draft picks played in the D league. It's part of the process now.

I can state this unequivocally - the more Mali plays zone the worse it is for him as it relates to his NBA prospects.

Didn't seem to hurt Dion or MCW.

And while I agree the D league is getting better, but come on man, literally nobody who goes to the D league outside of Danny Green, Hassan Whiteside, and Langston Galloway have done anything in the NBA.

Didn't seem to hurt Dion or MCW.

And while I agree the D league is getting better, but come on man, literally nobody who goes to the D league outside of Danny Green, Hassan Whiteside, and Langston Galloway have done anything in the NBA.

If you don't think playing zone for Dion and MCW hasn't hurt them, then you haven't watched their games throughout their NBA careers. We can agree to disagree.

If you think the only players who have done anything that had a stop in the DLeague are Green, Whiteside and Galloway, I don't know what to say. It's just not true and very easy to dispute if you have any inkling to learn about it.

Happy to disagree across the board with you on this.

the fact that he will continue to play zone in college is probably the worst argument ive heard for why a player should leave. theres some decent arguments for why he should declare, but this one is remarkably bad.

If you don't think playing zone for Dion and MCW hasn't hurt them, then you haven't watched their games throughout their NBA careers. We can agree to disagree.

If you think the only players who have done anything that had a stop in the DLeague are Green, Whiteside and Galloway, I don't know what to say. It's just not true and very easy to dispute if you have any inkling to learn about it.

how would you deal with this argument:

developing under hof jim boeheim's tutelage > developing under some d-league coaches

where would he get the better instruction? i suppose your argument will be a time one, but i find that not compelling.

the fact that he will continue to play zone in college is probably the worst argument ive heard for why a player should leave. theres some decent arguments for why he should declare, but this one is remarkably bad.

I disagree with your internet fan forum post NBA executive of the year jgeorge322.

I also assume you don't actually watch the NBA if you think the more someone plays zone doesn't hurt his chances in the NBA.

I disagree with your internet fan forum post NBA executive of the year jgeorge322.

I also assume you don't actually watch the NBA if you think the more someone plays zone doesn't hurt his chances in the NBA.

i hope when mal declares, whether this year or next, someone asks him or other nba execs, whether playing zone for 2 years had any impact on their decision processes. if the answer is no and your assumption is right, then you're the next billy beane.

I don't know what you want to debate. It seems like you are moving the goalposts.

Did it hurt them getting drafted? That was my point. Does it hurt them in the league? That can be debated. The problem with MCW and Dion isn't that they played zone. They stink on offense. You can make an argument that both are more effective defensive players in the league than offensive players. They both have net negative offensive win shares for their careers.

As far as the D league goes, if you want to count guys who were drafted and then brought throught the D league, you're right more guys have had success. Jose Barea? He was discovered out of Puerto Rico. If they want this to be the true NBA minor league they need to actually start paying the guys more.

I agree that many first year players play in the D-league, in fact many first round picks with guaranteed contracts are playing in the D-league. I still think that the overwhelming factor in making the jump is the likelihood of being a first round pick. If I understand correctly, and I may not, if you are a first round pick, you are still getting paid your first round money, even to play in the D-league. If you are a second round pick, the team that selects you holds your rights and can send you down to the D-league and you will get paid only the D-league money and then get better pay if/when you get called up. So, potentially a second round pick that doesn't play a single game in the NBA can get paid $25k for the year. I think I would rather go to class for the year, play for a top 25 team, live the life of a superstar, and get closer to my degree than go to the D-league as a second rounder.

how would you deal with this argument:

developing under hof jim boeheim's tutelage > developing under some d-league coaches

NBA defenses now are vastly more complex and demanding than, not only college, what NBA teams used to run even a decade or so ago. If you aren't a monster offensive player, and you are even below average on defense, an opposing NBA team will chew you up and spit you out. NBA teams aren't going to hide a role player that can't play defense. They'll find someone that can play defense.

NBA offenses, for even the very *best* players, take time to understand and function within.

It took LaMarcus Aldridge almost 60 games to truly get comfortable in the Spurs offense, that was tailored to FIT HIM.

JB will not change his defense. JB isn't going to drastically change his offense. If you think his O and D choices will be what Mali will be targeted for in the NBA, then by all means, stay.

If you think, as I do, that Mali's role will be drastically different on both ends, then he needs to explore his options and try to get a first round guarantee.

The era of MJ iso ball is long, long gone. This is the new world order in the NBA and JB, and I never want him to retire - believe me, does not prepare our guys for success in the NBA. He gets the most out of them on a college level.

And, Mali isn't developing under a d league coach. He's developing under an NBA organization. Training, nutrition, practice, specialization, etc - 24/7. No Geography class to interrupt him.

Listen, I think Mali has to come back, but not because JB will push him to be a better NBA prospect. I think Mali has to come back because he is in a pool of players that are getting drafted to be role players, starters at best. And right now, he can't be sure that he is going to get guaranteed money - and that is even more dangerous with the chance of a lockout on the horizon. He needs a safety net before he commits.

NBA defenses now are vastly more complex and demanding than, not only college, what NBA teams used to run even a decade or so ago. If you aren't a monster offensive player, and you are even below average on defense, an opposing NBA team will chew you up and spit you out. NBA teams aren't going to hide a role player that can't play defense. They'll find someone that can play defense.

NBA offenses, for even the very *best* players, take time to understand and function within.

It took LaMarcus Aldridge almost 60 games to truly get comfortable in the Spurs offense, that was tailored to FIT HIM.

JB will not change his defense. JB isn't going to drastically change his offense. If you think his O and D choices will be what Mali will be targeted for in the NBA, then by all means, stay.

If you think, as I do, that Mali's role will be drastically different on both ends, then he needs to explore his options and try to get a first round guarantee.

The era of MJ iso ball is long, long gone. This is the new world order in the NBA and JB, and I never want him to retire - believe me, does not prepare our guys for success in the NBA. He gets the most out of them on a college level.

And, Mali isn't developing under a d league coach. He's developing under an NBA organization. Training, nutrition, practice, specialization, etc - 24/7. No Geography class to interrupt him.

Listen, I think Mali has to come back, but not because JB will push him to be a better NBA prospect. I think Mali has to come back because he is in a pool of players that are getting drafted to be role players, starters at best. And right now, he can't be sure that he is going to get guaranteed money - and that is even more dangerous with the chance of a lockout on the horizon. He needs a safety net before he commits.

well we both agree that the key to leave or go is first round guarantee money. glad we got over that.

back to defense though. jb's 2-3 zone is fairly complex. it has a lot of elements of help defense, which the nba utilizes. i am not sure playing college level m2m, somehow increases your ability to play the nba complex demanding version you are advocating. i just feel you are overstating this factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom