What are some of the positives around the program? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What are some of the positives around the program?

He's like a blur compared to the rest of the roster...
I'm really lovin that guy. I think JB is too. He made a really bad play yesterday and I thought Boeheim was going to blow torch him and all he did was pointed to his head and said, "think". I thought, that's progress.

The positive surrounding this program is that it won’t take long to turn around once we reset. Kids still want to play in a packed Dome. Once we get serious about recruiting and roster composition (and figure out how to deal with NIL) we are right back in the game.

Other than that, Jesse is a positive but he won’t be here on a decent team because everything else is a train wreck.

The program needs some optimism.

Instead of all this negativity which i contribute too.

What are some of the positive things around the program’s future?
JB is old. He can’t go on *forever.* That’s all I got.

I’ll add… I know some on here think our assistant coaches are part of the problem. But I think they’re better than they get credit for. Autry, Gmac and Griff are in an uphill battle with both JB and the recruiting landscape (NIL, SEC schools and their cheating coaches and boosters). If you listen to Bulldog, our assistants are dealing with an intransigent old man who is stuck in his ways and refuses to adjust. So maybe a guy like Autry could end up doing well as the head coach (not saying I’m advocating for that route).

Last edited:
I'm really lovin that guy. I think JB is too. He made a really bad play yesterday and I thought Boeheim was going to blow torch him and all he did was pointed to his head and said, "think". I thought, that's progress.
Symir played well against strong comp. If he works hard he can be a good player for us
Sy has speed and good PG and passing instincts. I just have my doubts whether he’ll ever be good enough at scoring and to finish consistently against good defenders to become the starting PG here. He’s made some strides this season, so not giving up hope. But a player like KR’s potential was so much higher.

Last edited:
The Dome and Melo Center are awesome, the fanbase is huge, the team is the focus of an entire region, and we have great tradition and a family feel with all of the past greats staying connected to the program.

Last edited:
I’d say the fact that decent recruits still want to come play here. Even with an old curmudgeon as head coach.
Even as our program is getting further and further away from what it once was. Even though you may get thrown under the bus at a postgame presser. Even though you may have to sit the bench if coach doesn’t like you.
That really makes me hopefully for our future that kids still want to play for Syracuse basketball. No matter the circumstances.

I’d say the fact that decent recruits still want to come play here. Even with an old curmudgeon as head coach.
Even as our program is getting further and further away from what it once was. Even though you may get thrown under the bus at a postgame presser. Even though you may have to sit the bench if coach doesn’t like you.
That really makes me hopefully for our future that kids still want to play for Syracuse basketball. No matter the circumstances.
I believe this post exemplifies the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law. :rolleyes:

A majority of the team got COVID and given minutes distribution doesn’t seem to be impacting minutes or team stamina.

The team colors and uniforms will always be fire and we have an enormous, awesome fan base that deserves better than the past 5 years.
8 years really
2014-2015: Self imposed NCAA ban, wouldn't have made tourney anyway unless won ACC championship, Kaleb Joseph running point, a big miss there
2015-2016: Bubble, miraculous run to F4
2016-2017: Bubble, Andrew White, James Gillon team, NIT
2017-2018: Bubble, nice run to S16
2018-2019: Solidly in NCAA as #8 seed, bounced in first game to Baylor, Frank Howard suspended for that game
2019-2020: COVID, nobody went to tourney, if there was a tourney there was no chance at making it that year anyway unless winning ACC championship
2020-2021: Bubble, another nice run to S16
2021-2022: In serious danger of first losing season since 68-69

The mediocre, subpar, regular seasons have really been camouflaged by the nice NCAAT runs in 16, 18 and 21. They were disappointing from November to March that caught lightning in a bottle for the NCAAs in those years. To summarize, we have solidly been in the NCAAT one year in the last 8. Unacceptable.

8 years really
2014-2015: Self imposed NCAA ban, wouldn't have made tourney anyway unless won ACC championship, Kaleb Joseph running point, a big miss there
2018-2019: Solidly in NCAA as #8 seed, bounced in first game to Baylor, Frank Howard suspended for that game
2019-2020: COVID, nobody went to tourney, if there was a tourney there was no chance at making it that year anyway unless winning ACC championship

The mediocre, subpar, regular seasons have really been camouflaged by the nice NCAAT runs in 16, 18 and 21. They were disappointing from November to March that caught lightning in a bottle for the NCAAs in those years. To summarize, we have solidly been in the NCAAT one year in the last 8. Unacceptable.
Agree almost 100%, except for 2016.

On the surface it was a miraculous final 4 run….but that team was seriously disrupted by Boeheim’s suspension in the middle of the season. They looked great early in the year and at the end of the year. 3 guys who played in the NBA in Lydon, Gbinije, and Richardson.

On the surface it was a miraculous final 4 run….but that team was seriously disrupted by Boeheim’s suspension in the middle of the season. They looked great early in the year and at the end of the year. 3 guys who played in the NBA in Lydon, Gbinije, and Richardson.
Agreed...They beat really, really good teams in Atlantis.

Yea, I always thought that 2015-16 team was better than people give it credit for and their KenPom numbers bear it out. They won the stacked B4A tourney and won a couple of big conference road games. The mid season swoon can definitely be linked to JB’s suspension and Hop getting throw to the wolves. People thought they barely made it but they turned out to be solidly in with a 10 seed.

Yea, I always thought that 2015-16 team was better than people give it credit for and their KenPom numbers bear it out. They won the stacked B4A tourney and won a couple of big conference road games. The mid season swoon can definitely be linked to JB’s suspension and Hop getting throw to the wolves. People thought they barely made it but they turned out to be solidly in with a 10 seed.
If I recall, the end of the season schedule was brutal and we lost some tough games right at the end, too.

That was the top of team that could’ve been “normal Syracuse” - top 25 and 5 seed, if things broke right that regular season. IMO.

8 years really

I see you are having trouble following the gist of this thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom