What are the top 10 "destination" coaching jobs? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What are the top 10 "destination" coaching jobs?

It continues to shock me that Arizona State never has capitalized on all it's positives -

1. Huge school (70,000 students)
2. No academics
3. The "scenery"
4. Huge metropolitan area
5. Great weather
6. Great facilities

That's a job with huge upside. Never seems to happen though.

Not necessarily which teams are the best (although that will likely correlate relatively well) right now.

Was thinking about it in bball, so just curious what some think about football.

No order:

Alabama
OSU
LSU
Florida State
Michigan
USC
Notre Dame
Oklahoma
Texas
Georgia (??)

I would replace Georgia with Florida.

It continues to shock me that Arizona State never has capitalized on all it's positives -

1. Huge school (70,000 students)
2. No academics
3. The "scenery"
4. Huge metropolitan area
5. Great weather
6. Great facilities

That's a job with huge upside. Never seems to happen though.

I have gone to a few Sun Devil games over the years.

I love the stadium and the atmosphere of the games.

I really liked ASU until the school hired Todd Graham - at that point I stopped going to Tempe.

I have gone to a few Sun Devil games over the years.

I love the stadium and the atmosphere of the games.

I really liked ASU until the school hired Todd Graham - at that point I stopped going to Tempe.
I'm with you on Graham. He's a tool. Very happy to see them get smoked by Arizona. Gotta also say - ASU's uni's are worse than Syracuse's - much worse.

I'm with you on Graham. He's a tool. Very happy to see them get smoked by Arizona. Gotta also say - ASU's uni's are worse than Syracuse's - much worse.

A good example of a once proud football program discounting its tradition by resorting to the gimmick uniforms - they really are bad.

1. Texas
2. USC
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
6. Florida State
7. Florida
8. Alabama
9. LSU
10. Oklahoma

Texas is #1 for me because of where you get to live and the recruiting ground.
I understand that Texas might look good if you are living in North Carolina but Texas? ???

I understand that Texas might look good if you are living in North Carolina but Texas? ???
I take it you haven't been to Austin. Charlotte is a great city to live in and I love it in CLT but Austin, TX by the far IMO is the best city in America.
No income tax.
Good community.
Great climate.
Educated community with good wealth.

I take it you haven't been to Austin. Charlotte is a great city to live in and I love it in CLT but Austin, TX by the far IMO is the best city in America.
No income tax.
Good community.
Great climate.
Educated community with good wealth.
All of that is true but you have to live with Texans. Where do you factor that in?

All of that is true but you have to live with Texans. Where do you factor that in?
Austin and the suburbs around it really aren't "Texans". It is all transplant. However, I get your point. I still think the HC of Texas is the top college football job. They will pay you insane money, they have their own network, they don't need to recruit a kid outside of their own state, and the area to live in A+. Only USC can match all of this.

I'm going a different direction and picking schools by a combination of location, sane (reasonable) expectations, family life, and academics.

Syracuse
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Army
Navy
Air Force
Duke
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Virginia

how texas has had one really good run in close to 40 years with that much talent is crazy

Ranked?

1. Bama
2. OSU
3. Texas
4. Michigan
5. Notre Dame
6. USC
7. LSU
8. Oklahoma
9. Florida
10. Georgia/Nebraska/U/FSU ?

Its a great destination, not a great coaching job, Can you imagine trying to control your players and getting them to focus.
Oh yeah players. I forgot. I was selfishly thinking about spending my time on the beach with hula girls. My bad.

Oh yeah players. I forgot. I was selfishly thinking about spending my time on the beach with hula girls. My bad.

Which actually kind of sucks, because you want to spend your time at the beach, but you have to spend so many hours coaching.

I'm going a different direction and picking schools by a combination of location, sane (reasonable) expectations, family life, and academics.

Syracuse
Stanford
Vanderbilt
Army
Navy
Air Force
Duke
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Virginia

Personal list for me would include your first three

Syracuse
Stanford
Vanderbilt
USC
Washington
Alabama (not following Saban)
Cal
Miami
Oregon
Pittsburgh

Austin and the suburbs around it really aren't "Texans". It is all transplant. However, I get your point. I still think the HC of Texas is the top college football job. They will pay you insane money, they have their own network, they don't need to recruit a kid outside of their own state, and the area to live in A+. Only USC can match all of this.

You are right. I visited once with my brother when he was interviewing for a UT position. It is not Texas which is refreshing. It's actually a mini Nashville. All hipsters, beards, and tattoos now mixed in with the academia and growing tech industry. Great food.

He had all the tools at UGA.
Most, but not all. No IPF. Any time there was a chance of a thunderstorm their options were:
  1. Don't do full field drills or plays
  2. Call the Falcons to see if they could use their facility. If so, get the players dressed and bussed from Athens to Flowery Branch.

Most, but not all. No IPF. Any time there was a chance of a thunderstorm their options were:
  1. Don't do full field drills or plays
  2. Call the Falcons to see if they could use their facility. If so, get the players dressed and bussed from Athens to Flowery Branch.

Is that true?

Is that true?
You doubt me? ;)
I live in Atlanta. It's been a sports radio topic over the years.

UGA is finally in the process of constructing an IPF, scheduled for completion in January. They have some hope of having some bowl practices there this month. Georgia is the last of the SEC schools to have an IPF.

This past summer, of the first 19 practices, 16 either had rain or lightning.

Syracuse
Stanford
Vanderbilt
USC
Washington
Cal
Miami
Oregon
Pittsburgh
I like Cal and the Pacific Northwest additions. Great hops and beer up there. I couldn't do So Cal or Miami (traffic).

Syracuse
Stanford
Vanderbilt
USC
Washington
Cal
Miami
Oregon
Pittsburgh
Here's mine: