What changes would you like to see in college hoops? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What changes would you like to see in college hoops?

Oh, if he took a path into doing color commentary, that would be spectacular. And would last a lot longer...
Yes, can you imagine him having to try to talk afterward? If I were the play by play guy, I would be asking him open ended questions like crazy. Also, if he were ever to be honored by Duke University, say the 70th anniversary of 2015 National Championship, a near 90 year old Grayson Allen would have to step to mid court to take the shot. Of course, the puncher would have to aim lower.

Have this every year I think.

My biggest thing, and it's very minor overall, is to have jump ball every tie up. No alternate possession. Also no 1 and 1s.

4. Advance the ball in the final minute with a timeout.
I think there is general consensus for most of your suggested changes but that last one, I thought we had already been over that.
C4b37ioVYAAsUSA.jpg

I'm also against shortening the shot clock any further. The NBA can get away with it because it's mostly 1-on-1 isolation. Most college teams run half-court sets and need some time to set things up, otherwise it can devolve into street ball and teams will be chucking more bad shots.

Teams are jacking up 3's.

Move it out further. 24 second shot clock is to make the tempo of the game faster. Teams are milking the shot clock more today to shorten the game.

I want to see a more exciting game.

I meant your No. 3. I interpreted that as a promotion/relegation concept similar to European soccer leagues.

Full time officials managed by the NBA. The clown shows reffing now have ruined the game. Fix this and Ill live with EVERYTHING else

Rewrite the rulebook to try to eliminate replay reviews. For example, just give the ball to the defense any time it goes out of bounds.

Prohibit secondary defenders from drawing charges.

Let players transfer without having to sit out a year.

I meant your No. 3. I interpreted that as a promotion/relegation concept similar to European soccer leagues.
Do you what the Champions League is? It's the top teams from all the leagues in Europe.

If the NCAA said the Champions League games would be exempt each year and the conferences got the TV money from whomever bought the rights to the NCAA basketball Champions League then it could work. There are 32 conferences you give each conference 1 bid and then the more successful conferences would get more of the 32 other slots like the UEFA Champions League which cap 4 slots for the best league La Liga, BPL, Bundesliga.
So you would get 32 teams, then each of these conferences would get an additional ACC-3 B1G-3, PAC-3, Big XII-3, MWC-3, SEC-3, AAC-2, A-10-2, Big East-2, Missouri Valley-1, and give out the remaining 7 slots to the lower conferences.

You draw the 64 teams into 16 regions. You seed them 1-64 regardless of conferences and keep the top 16 apart. Play the 3 teams you are drawn into home/home. The group winner goes on, tiebreakers are head to head/if that doesn't decide the higher seed advances.

From there you get the 16 remaining teams and draw matchups, the highest 8 get home-court. Then your down to 8 and so-on.

Again, these games would have to be sprinkled in during the regular season from November till before March and the conference tournaments. It would affect 64 of the 320+ NCAA teams each year, but it would generate a crapload of money and would get fun matchups. The winning team would play 9 additional games during the season, and participating teams would play only a minimum of 6 more games under my format.

These are in no particular order...

1- Players can go directly to the NBA out of high school. If they choose to attend college they cannot leave until after they have been out of high school three years (like the rule for football).

2- Reduce the number of charges, a player should not be able to stand in the way doing nothing and draw a charge. Putting a shoulder into a defender should be a charge. Running over the player defending you should be a charge. A defender coming off a teammate and standing in front of you should not be able to draw a charge.

3- Either consistently call illegal screens or don't call them EVER. I am tired of 2-3 times a year teams having an illegal screen call cost them the game when every game is full of illegal screens.

4- Call holding/grabbing when players are running and trying to get open without the ball or don't EVER call it.

5- Essentially BE CONSISTENT with foul calls. (I know, probably too much to ask.)

Let players make money off their own likeness. Local commercials, appearances, autographs, tshirts w their number... or set them up with jobs at local youh centers or at the Y. Reffing games, life guarding, mentoring kids. This is all if they want to of course.

Full time officials that need to pass a physical fitness test, eye exam, and have off-season trainings.

I've been on a instituting the NBA continuation rule kick for years now. Hate giving a fouling defender the advantage. I feel like good offense is punished and bad defense is rewarded.

Block/ charge needs to be called like it is in the NBA.

Floppers should be called for a personal foul. Second flop is a technical.

Last edited:
Do you what the Champions League is? It's the top teams from all the leagues in Europe.

If the NCAA said the Champions League games would be exempt each year and the conferences got the TV money from whomever bought the rights to the NCAA basketball Champions League then it could work. There are 32 conferences you give each conference 1 bid and then the more successful conferences would get more of the 32 other slots like the UEFA Champions League which cap 4 slots for the best league La Liga, BPL, Bundesliga.
So you would get 32 teams, then each of these conferences would get an additional ACC-3 B1G-3, PAC-3, Big XII-3, MWC-3, SEC-3, AAC-2, A-10-2, Big East-2, Missouri Valley-1, and give out the remaining 7 slots to the lower conferences.

You draw the 64 teams into 16 regions. You seed them 1-64 regardless of conferences and keep the top 16 apart. Play the 3 teams you are drawn into home/home. The group winner goes on, tiebreakers are head to head/if that doesn't decide the higher seed advances.

From there you get the 16 remaining teams and draw matchups, the highest 8 get home-court. Then your down to 8 and so-on.

Again, these games would have to be sprinkled in during the regular season from November till before March and the conference tournaments. It would affect 64 of the 320+ NCAA teams each year, but it would generate a crapload of money and would get fun matchups. The winning team would play 9 additional games during the season, and participating teams would play only a minimum of 6 more games under my format.

I know exactly what it is. I was just asking if that's what you preferred and why.

I see your explanation. That's all I was looking for.

Who determines which conferences are "more successful"? Who determines which teams in a conference get the extra bids? It becomes subjective and not any better than the NCAAT.

Full time officials managed by the NBA. The clown shows reffing now have ruined the game. Fix this and Ill live with EVERYTHING else

The problem is these guys are doing too many games, they are doing a game in Syracuse on Monday, Manhattan, Ks on Tuesday, Chapel Hill on Wed, and a lot of these guys aren't spring chickens, they need to hire more refs, so these guys aren't doing 5 games a week.

I really disagree with #4. I've always thought that rule in the NBA was silly but I may be able to be persuaded. Tell me why a team should be able to advance the ball past half court simply by calling a TO?

I don't have strong feelings either way on it, just pointing out that FIBA has that in their rule book. Which means that about the only places you can't do it are in USA HS and college games. :noidea:

I'd like it if the ref didn't have to handle the ball on out of bonds plays. Like international rules. It would cut down on a lot of belly-aching about ref calls and it would keep the game moving.

That rule changed about 20 years ago. Every whistle is a "handle" now. But it was fun while it lasted. Every game was a track meet with a basketball, and there was far less bitching by the players because there was no time for it. :D

Last edited:
Who determines which conferences are "more successful"? Who determines which teams in a conference get the extra bids? It becomes subjective and not any better than the NCAAT.
I would use NCAA tournament success mixed with top 25 teams on average in the polls. Basically I would copy the coefficient ratings system UEFA uses make it for college basketball.

It wouldn't be hard to figure it out.

Let players make money off their own likeness. Local commercials, appearances, autographs, tshirts w their number... or set them up with jobs at local youh centers or at the Y. Reffing games, life guarding, mentoring kids. This is all if they want to of course.

Full time officials that need to pass a physical fitness test, eye exam, and have off-season trainings.

I've been on a instituting the NBA continuation rule kick for years now. Hate giving a fouling defender the advantage. I feel like good offense is punished and bad defense is rewarded.

Block/ charge needs to be called like it is in the NBA.

Floppers should be called for a personal foul. Second flop is a technical.
Autographs? Hi. I'm a Kentucky booster and would love your autograph. Here is $50,000

1.) Widen the lane to the NBA dimensions. FIBA is moving that way and it cleans up play near the basket, and helps create better interior passing lanes. BTDT.
2.) Only the coach can ask for time out, and only during a dead ball. It's BS to have a player dive on the floor for a loose ball and call TO to avoid traveling/held ball situations.
3.) Eliminate the TV reviews. Some of them are taking 5 minutes to perform which is just ridiculous.
4.) Eliminate 1-and-1 foul shots, which is the stupidest rule in basketball. Period. Shoot 2 on the 8th non-shooter foul in each half and every non-shooter foul thereafter for that half.

Here's something to think about: on an offensive rebound, the shot clock resets to 14 seconds. Non-shooting fouls under 14 seconds reset only to 14. (Above 14 it stays as is). Both of these situations are the way it's done in FIBA.

Everyone who wants the possession arrow eliminated should be forced to referee HS girls ball for two years, at least 30 games/year. That'll take care of that idea! :cool:

Last edited:
My idea would make the regular season matter more as well. Say you were in 5th place in February you know you aren't winning the conference but playing for a champions league spot in the future would make their games matter.

It would make a game without much interest become more valuable.

Also it would protect midmajors who were successful and had their coach taken be more appealing for new coaches.

Autographs? Hi. I'm a Kentucky booster and would love your autograph. Here is $50,000
Here is an easy to fix it. Have the schools be the only ones who can sell the autographs.
You want a signed a Tyus Battle jersey go to Bookstore and buy it there. You want Tyler Lydon's autograph buy it on SU website.

Players get compensated as much as their markets dictate.

Here is an easy to fix it. Have the schools be the only ones who can sell the autographs.
You want a signed a Tyus Battle jersey go to Bookstore and buy it there. You want Tyler Lydon's autograph buy it on SU website.

Players get compensated as much as their markets dictate.
We here at Kentucky sell our autographs at the bookstore for $50,000 That is the demand for them. Just today, we had pre sale orders on 10 Green Autographs.

We here at Kentucky sell our autographs at the bookstore for $50,000 That is the demand for them. Just today, we had pre sale orders on 10 Green Autographs.
there is no way Kentucky could charge that much. If they put the control in the schools the prices wouldn't be out of control.

there is no way Kentucky could charge that much. If they put the control in the schools the prices wouldn't be out of control.

I think it was hyperbole.

I think it was hyperbole.
I agree but I presented a way for the schools to control it.
I am sure Kentucky would be the top school for sales if they allowed schools to pay players for market driven autograph requests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom