What does the Big 12 do first? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What does the Big 12 do first?

I think the NCAA's championship game rule now gets changed at the first opportunity and the 3-5-5 schedule comes in for the most conferences. While the B1G and the SEC would like to keep the Big Bevo in its present hole, the idea of being able to rotate home-and-home through all the teams in 4 years is probably enough to overcome that desire. Bowlsby's job security depends on how much he pushed to keep the status quo. If he was the only one trying to get them to bring in enough to go back to 12 and the ADs were overruling him, then it's not his fault for being right.

I would not be surprised at all if the ACC offered the University of Baja Oklahoma-Austin the same deal the Irish got. I don't think it will happen, just wouldn't be suprised if it did.

I think the NCAA's championship game rule now gets changed at the first opportunity and the 3-5-5 schedule comes in for the most conferences. While the B1G and the SEC would like to keep the Big Bevo in its present hole, the idea of being able to rotate home-and-home through all the teams in 4 years is probably enough to overcome that desire. Bowlsby's job security depends on how much he pushed to keep the status quo. If he was the only one trying to get them to bring in enough to go back to 12 and the ADs were overruling him, then it's not his fault for being right.

I would not be surprised at all if the ACC offered the University of Baja Oklahoma-Austin the same deal the Irish got. I don't think it will happen, just wouldn't be suprised if it did.
The Big Ten and SEC may like the 3-5-5 model themselves. It allows must protect rivalries each year and spreads out losses for their potential top dogs.

I think the Big XII will add Cincinnati and one of BYU/UCF/Memphis.

The Big Ten and SEC may like the 3-5-5 model themselves. It allows must protect rivalries each year and spreads out losses for their potential top dogs.

I think the Big XII will add Cincinnati and one of BYU/UCF/Memphis.
the bevo needs 2, maybe all 4.

i certainly would start with cincy.

regardless, storz still makes no sense. :rolling:

the bevo needs 2, maybe all 4.

i certainly would start with cincy.

regardless, storz still makes no sense. :rolling:
UConn isn't getting into the Big XII obviously.

However, I don't see the Big XII adding 4 that is too many mouths for Texas.
Cincinnati/BYU would be the best options
They could go
Division 1
Texas
BYU
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State

Division 2
Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
TCU
West Virginia
Cincinnati

That would have 2 balanced divisions.

Reactions: cto
If big 12 expands, which I think is now necessary, you can say goodbye to Texas ever leaving for the ACC.

Does BYU even have interest in the Big 12? They voluntarily quit the Mountain West and went Indy in football and to the WCC in all other sports.

UConn isn't getting into the Big XII obviously.

However, I don't see the Big XII adding 4 that is too many mouths for Texas.
Cincinnati/BYU would be the best options
They could go
Division 1
Texas
BYU
Texas Tech
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Iowa State

Division 2
Kansas
Kansas State
Baylor
TCU
West Virginia
Cincinnati

That would have 2 balanced divisions.

If they're going to keep an equal revenue share, there's no way they add 4. I think they'll try the waiver route first. And if it's denied, they should really push as to why. Because it's a rule that never made sense to me. Someone, somewhere thought it was a good idea to have that rule in 1992, and no one has really challenged them on it.

Can someone refresh me on this 3-5-5 thing again? I assume we're not talking about RichRod's defense.

3+5+5 is every team has 3 protected rivals they play every year.
Then they play 5 of the 10 teams in year 1.
In year 2 you play the other 5 teams.
Years 3 and 4 are the reverse sites and viola everyone plays in everyone's stadium over 4 years and must rivalry games are protected.
Then the top 2 records would play in the CCG.

Reactions: cto
If they're going to keep an equal revenue share, there's no way they add 4. I think they'll try the waiver route first. And if it's denied, they should really push as to why. Because it's a rule that never made sense to me. Someone, somewhere thought it was a good idea to have that rule in 1992, and no one has really challenged them on it.

Can someone refresh me on this 3-5-5 thing again? I assume we're not talking about RichRod's defense.
The rule was made for a D-3 conference to have a fair way to determine their champion for the NCAA playoff bid. The NCAA never expected any D-1 (either level) conference to take advantage of the rule, but the SEC fooled them. The NCAA was trying for a fair and equitable solution, not a money-making cash cow. "Fairness" is why there's no sudden death to end ties in NCAA football. They don't need to have the 1:00 game over as quickly as possible so the network can switch to the 4:00 game.

The NCAA was trying for a fair and equitable solution, not a money-making cash cow.

Fast forward to 2014, and it all sounds pretty funny, huh.

Now I really want to hear the rationale for denying a waiver.

That's where conspiracy and $$ come in.

10 is not enough, must be 12.

And I'd love the ACC, b1g and SEC get together and argue it be 14 and force the PACs hand too...

The easiest way for the Big Bevo to get their "waiver" is for the P5 to change the rule. Will they? Maybe if it's included as part of getting rid of divisions, which are really pretty meaningless in D-1A. I don't think any conference in D-1A would have divisions if they didn't have to (like having the teams with the best records in a 3-5-5 schedule play for the championship).

3+5+5 is every team has 3 protected rivals they play every year.
Then they play 5 of the 10 teams in year 1.
In year 2 you play the other 5 teams.
Years 3 and 4 are the reverse sites and viola everyone plays in everyone's stadium over 4 years and must rivalry games are protected.
Then the top 2 records would play in the CCG.

So Atlantic and Coastal would go away?

Who would our 3 protected rivals be? Pitt, BC and UL? Split miami and FSU up so you get in florida at minimum EVERY YEAR.

Who would our 3 protected rivals be? Pitt, BC and UL? Split miami and FSU up so you get in florida at minimum EVERY YEAR.
The UM/FSU split would be a no-brainer, because every team would then get to Florida every year.

The UM/FSU split would be a no-brainer, because every team would then get to Florida every year.

Also split,

GaTech/Clemson
Duke/UNC
NCState/Wake
UVA/Vatech

I imagine the ND game would act as an OOC game for the 5 or 6 teams depending on year? So it would be 8 ACC games + ND + 3 OOC?

Our mock schedule with the 3-5-5 with BC,UL,Pitt as our annual games.
Year 1 @BC, Pitt, @UL, Wake, @FSU, Clemson, @NCSU, UVA
Year 2 BC, @Pitt, UL, @Duke, Miami, @GT, UNC, @VPI
Year 3 @BC, Pitt, @UL, Duke, @Miami, GT, @UNC, VPI
Year 4 BC, @Pitt, UL, @Wake, FSU, Clemson, NCSU, @UVA

We play at every venue and host every team over a player's 4 year career.

Our mock schedule with the 3-5-5 with BC,UL,Pitt as our annual games.
Year 1 @BC, Pitt, @UL, Wake, @FSU, Clemson, @NCSU, UVA
Year 2 BC, @Pitt, UL, @Duke, Miami, @GT, UNC, @VPI
Year 3 @BC, Pitt, @UL, Duke, @Miami, GT, @UNC, VPI
Year 4 BC, @Pitt, UL, @Wake, FSU, Clemson, NCSU, @UVA

We play at every venue and host every team over a player's 4 year career.
I prefer ABAB, rather than ABBA, so I would switch the "5" for the third and fourth years.

I prefer ABAB, rather than ABBA, so I would switch the "5" for the third and fourth years.
ABBA is necessary so the annual opponents are switched our evenly for H/A purposes.

Alsacs said:
ABBA is necessary so the annual opponents are switched our evenly for H/A purposes.

Plus it's better music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom