What has Benny done to deserve... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

What has Benny done to deserve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I'll just say I don't think we should single out just Jimmy. Cole has often been worse.
Agreed and it makes it even worse. We have 80 minutes available at the 3/4 and only 3 guys to play there (4 if you count JBA). Yet our 5 star gets no time while the 2 upperclassmen who have frankly veen bad are getting all the time

I understand the concerns of playing time for Benny but I recall these same frustrations last year with Jesse not getting enough minutes. JB in post games kept saying Jesse was not ready based on his practices. By the end of the season he began showing some signs of the potential he is displaying this year. I'm hoping the same will happen with Benny. He seems like a good kid and based on recent comments he doesn't feel he deserves more time. Of course, if he goes the entire season with the same limited role that could change with the portal being so accessible at the end of the year.

When one of your biggest flaws is positioning and movement within the offense, then yes, watching film is important. Ask anyone who has played. And that is only one of the things I mentioned. Why aren't practices exclusively scrimmages if that was the most important thing? Game experience helps, it is not what is going to make Benny, or any player, improve the most.
You are presuming we have an offense.

When we signed Malachi Richardson JB had to play him. He had nobody else. Sure he was bad early in the season, but it eventually paid off.
Malachi was far and away better than most other freshmen we've had here, and he did it right from the start. He scored double figures in each of first six games, 15 of his first 18 games, and scored double figures in 31 of 37 games. Malachi's skill set was evident from the start. He was head and shoulders above Benny and nearly every other freshman we've had here. That's not even a knock on Benny. Malachi was just a star from the start.

I understand the concerns of playing time for Benny but I recall these same frustrations last year with Jesse not getting enough minutes. JB in post games kept saying Jesse was not ready based on his practices. By the end of the season he began showing some signs of the potential he is displaying this year. I'm hoping the same will happen with Benny. He seems like a good kid and based on recent comments he doesn't feel he deserves more time. Of course, if he goes the entire season with the same limited role that could change with the portal being so accessible at the end of the year.
Jesse was showing signs since the year before that. Last year, Jesse was really good in all the time he got early. JB was just a stubborn ass and wouldn’t cave to what everyone with eyes could see. It was only when he said Jesse was “ready” that he played him more. It was a bunch of crap.

Malachi was far and away better than most other freshmen we've had here, and he did it right from the start. He scored double figures in each of first six games, 15 of his first 18 games, and scored double figures in 31 of 37 games. Malachi's skill set was evident from the start. He was head and shoulders above Benny and nearly every other freshman we've had here. That's not even a knock on Benny. Malachi was just a star from the start.
Malachi was a STARTER from the start. That was the major difference. He didn’t have a coach messing with his head.

Revisionist history. He was not a star here from the start. He shot 27% from 3 in the Non Conference Including a game he went 0-11 against St. Johns. He was extremely hot and cold just like another lightning rod shooting guard we had on that team. It wasn’t until JB got back from his suspension that he really started to play well.

Yeah, it seems like there have been a few guys that didn't get into games until JB's hand was forced and then ended up being good enough to have been getting more time. How much run does Sims get if Michael Lloyd is back for another year?
When we signed Malachi Richardson JB had to play him. He had nobody else. Sure he was bad early in the season, but it eventually paid of

Last edited:
Interesting that the guy ranked right behind Benny on the 2 4 7 composite is getting 20 minutes a game for the number 2 team in the country.
And the guy ranked right ahead of him is averaging 13.2 minutes (slightly less than Benny) and 2.8 points on an Arizona State team that we beat. It happens.

Benny has five offensive rebounds all season.

I stated why Jim played JBA. Not that I agree with it. Benny's athleticism helps make up for some of his positioning flaws. I've watched the film. Maybe I'll do a film breakdown on here on all these guys. It's horrible. They all need to get better. Hopefully Benny makes those strides in practice and during the offseason.
You missed the point altogether

Agree with anyone who says he should get more minutes. This season is a lost cause….get the kid meaningful minutes so he hits the ground running next season.

I also agree with those challenging the minutes Cole and Junior get. They are terrible some nights so for the love of god sit them some in favor of a young, and yes raw talent. No reason Benny couldn’t give us freshman level Stevie Thompson output with proper coaching and opportunities.

So, if guys are supposed to develop their game and prove themselves during practice... and JB is known for having short practices... and underdeveloped guys can't get into games... when do guys like Benny develop?
Well considering the history of players coming here and improving from one year to the next (Jesse, Quincy, MCW, Jerami Grant, Dion, Fair, etc.), I'd say it happens. This coaching staff has shown the ability to develop guys over time. Sanctions and the transfer portal has hurt that, but this staff knows how to develop talent. But can they adjust to the current times? Maybe not.

Unfortunately, Quincy transferred despite starting and the head coach thinking he would be an All-American here. That's just how things are now.

But if Benny sticks around, I'd be excited to see what this staff can do with him. If he really isn't thinking about transferring like he said (Even though that was before this recent stretch), then my hope is that Benny understands that too.

If we were focused on trying to get ready for next year, it would make sense to give Benny more time (assuming he hasn't privately told the coach he's leaving, but I'm not going to make that assumption). Unfortunately, I don't think our coaches are trying to prepare for next season; they're worried about this season. I think we as fans all know it's a lost season and deep down, they probably do too, but I don't really blame them for trying to win this year. And to that end, Benny has been hilariously unproductive with the opportunities he's been handed. Per 40 minutes, he averages 6 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 0.7 assists. The only player that scores less on a per minute basis is JBA, who essentially doubles Benny in rebounding and assists. There's no real argument that Benny makes us better this season. His rebounding percentage is barely higher than Buddy, Joe, and Symir and nowhere near our other frontcourt players and he's complete liability offensively right now.

I hope he sticks around and makes a sophomore leap but it's certainly not a case like Jerami Grant where he looked fine but just wasn't getting minutes.

Revisionist history. He was not a star here from the start. He shot 27% from 3 in the Non Conference Including a game he went 0-11 against St. Johns. He was extremely hot and cold just like another lightning rod shooting guard we had on that team. It wasn’t until JB got back from his suspension that he really started to play well.
Star might be taking it too far, but the point stands. A couple bad games happen, but look at his stats. You'd be hard pressed to find other freshmen for us that did what he did and looked the way he did. His skills were apparent to anyone that watched. Doesn't mean there weren't growing pains. But made no mistake about it, JB wasn't forced to play Malachi. He was more than good enough to start.

If we were focused on trying to get ready for next year, it would make sense to give Benny more time (assuming he hasn't privately told the coach he's leaving, but I'm not going to make that assumption). Unfortunately, I don't think our coaches are trying to prepare for next season; they're worried about this season. I think we as fans all know it's a lost season and deep down, they probably do too, but I don't really blame them for trying to win this year. And to that end, Benny has been hilariously unproductive with the opportunities he's been handed. Per 40 minutes, he averages 6 points, 4.6 rebounds, and 0.7 assists. The only player that scores less on a per minute basis is JBA, who essentially doubles Benny in rebounding and assists. There's no real argument that Benny makes us better this season. His rebounding percentage is barely higher than Buddy, Joe, and Symir and nowhere near our other frontcourt players and he's complete liability offensively right now.

I hope he sticks around and makes a sophomore leap but it's certainly not a case like Jerami Grant where he looked fine but just wasn't getting minutes.

There are more than a few top 100 frosh who aren't doing much this year. I think you have to factor in the significant impacts to HS, Prep and AAU schedules as well as just general workouts for these kids. It's a lot of kids coming in less prepared than normal which puts them behind.

So I'm not saying that your observations of his production are wrong but as for being behind as a frosh class in total- let's not lose sight of that.

Star might be taking it too far, but the point stands. A couple bad games happen, but look at his stats. You'd be hard pressed to find other freshmen for us that did what he did and looked the way he did. His skills were apparent to anyone that watched. Doesn't mean there weren't growing pains. But made no mistake about it, JB wasn't forced to play Malachi. He was more than good enough to start.
You're exaggerating. He was about as efficient as Oshae Brissett and Trevor Cooney and this board killed those guys.

JB had to play Malachi out of position at SF cause we literally had no one else. That team had 9 scholarship players. 2 of which were Kaleb Joseph and Chino Okoboh. Looking at that roster it's a miracle that JB got us as far as he did riding 5.5 guys.

sanctions hurt the ability to develop guys.

ive officially heard it all.
When you have less players coming in, you can't recruit the guys you plan on developing over multiple years. It's why this is the first time we have two competent centers. How many people have complained about that position this year? It takes time to develop. When you don't have the scholarships, you cant recruit those guys.

Unfortunately, then the transfer portal takes our best forward (Guerrier), another forward that would've been an improvement on defense over the other two guys (Braswell), our best PG (Kadary), and a guard/forward that could've been a contributor with some more development (Newton).

So yes, a combination of reduced scholarships and the transfer portal hurts.

And sure, Boeheim has nobody to blame but himself for the sanctions. Doesn't mean they don't make a huge difference.

sanctions hurt the ability to develop guys.

ive officially heard it all.
That's possible. Imagine JB decided to give NCAA the middle finger by saying ok, you want to limit my recruiting trips and scholarships? Fine, I'll show you I only need ten scholarships max, I will even play all my players totally out of position, and no subs, and still win with both hands tied behind my back!!!

There’s only one ball folks…..Buddy and Joe take a ton of shots most nights and then Cole gets his…..worrying that Benny will hurt us on offense is silly. Keep him down low and tell him to rebound the bricks our elite shooters are throwing up

this was the exact phrase used about Jesse and another player last year.

It was wrong then and wrong now. It’s not about offense.
Jesse shot 79% from the floor as a freshman (on basically all garbage time dunks). Benny is shooting 18.8% from the field in conference games and under 35% on the year. Jesse was at 14/10 per 40 minutes his freshman year. He was much more productive in his limited opportunities than Benny has been, and I say that as someone that doubted Jesse from the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom