What I expect at this point… | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

Some posters have “bemoaned.” Others see the value of an internal replacement and realize that just because there has not been announced national search or job posting it doesn’t mean that the AD hasn’t tapped into his extensive network and explored potential candidates for the position from outside the family. This opening is not a surprise. Personally I am satisfied that John Wildhack has put a lot of time and effort into this decision. Much more and at a more intensive level than anyone bemoaning on this board. He apparently has a comfort level in Red and is confident he can be successful. I can accept that.

yeah he's going to be given a very fair shot to be successful at Syracuse and rightfully so. John W not known for a quick hook either and he obviously is invested in the hire. He's also a first time head coach so growing pains are the norm here.

Expecting some miracle turnaround next year is odd to me. BUT WE ARE SYRACUSE!!! B... F... D. get in line and show some patience and let's see what he can do for a few years. and again a baseline of competence also needs to be established. If this is a Louisville type hire, well we have issues

He gets probably 4 years, IMO. 2 if he is 100% a complete and utter failure, like the situation at Lville which I don't anticipate.

You really think he’s going to drag out the zone full time?
I have no idea. All I know is he hasn't coached man in forever and lots of proven head coaches are coaching it right now. Syracuse and its fans deserve more than a learn on the job situation IMO.

I have no idea. All I know is he hasn't coached man in forever and lots of proven head coaches are coaching it right now. Syracuse and its fans deserve more than a learn on the job situation IMO.

coaching man isn't rocket science despite what one coach may keep telling us. I hope he goes more offense, gets shooters, creators in here and some competent 4-5 types that can rebound and score. Tired of watching teams that struggle to score.

Our schemes are tired.
We aren't winning any more.
Attendance is down.
Recruiting is as bad as its been a long while.

Yeah. Continuity is important.

If there is ever a time to look externally, it's now.

Alas...like a wide open passing offense in our climate controlled Dome, it's something else so obvious it will never happen in Syracuse.

coaching man isn't rocket science.
Agreed. I think it’s just more he’d need time to be consistent with it and to get the players locked into “how” we’re playing man. How are we defending screens, etc. and to get comfortable playing together on that end.

And also the matter of recruiting good defenders.

Exactly. Coaching man-to-man is basically just deciding how you want to play pick and rolls. Of course there are some other wrinkles and strategies, but the basics of it don't exactly require a Ph.D. to teach.

exactly and guys that buy in and want to play defense which isn't always easy today. I mean AAU ball looks one step above the defense they play in the NBA all star game, kids scared they are going to look bad on social media.

Sad really

Agreed. I think it’s just more he’d need time to be consistent with it and to get the players locked into “how” we’re playing man. How are we defending screens, etc. and to get comfortable playing together on that end.

And also the matter of recruiting good defenders.

Counterpoint. We are a theoretically major program that hasn't made the Tourney in back to back years and is running not walking from national relevance. And how to we know Autry can recruit elite man defenders considering he has only recruited for zone? Why not get a proven coach who already knows the D and doesn't need the time you speak of?

Counterpoint. We are a theoretically major program that hasn't made the Tourney in back to back years and is running not walking from national relevance. And how to we know Autry can recruit elite man defenders considering he has only recruited for zone? Why not get a proven coach who already knows the D and doesn't need the time you speak of?

We don't know anything about Red and what he can and can't do. That's the whole thing but recruiting talent is recruiting talent, I think red knows what he is looking for and that is better athletes and better basketball players

I think we have recruited poorly for both the past few years. Improve the recruiting overall I would imagine the defense looks better or at least the offense does!!

All of the guys we have now played man in high school.

Nobody has any idea what kind of coach Autry will be.

I figured there would be hyperventilating about this, but you're making a lot of assumptions about failure here.

All of the guys we have now played man in high school.

Nobody has any idea what kind of coach Autry will be.

I figured there would be hyperventilating about this, but you're making a lot of assumptions about failure here.

He may well succeed. But I'd much rather a proven head coach. I think its a much safer bet and this program, in its current state, can't risk more years of "figuring it out" IMO

I’m getting less and less excited about the prospect of red coaching everyday. I really find it hard to believe that for 7 years JB shot down every big time recruit red tried to bring in. I also find it even harder to believe that if red or GMac had any real opportunity to be a head coach elsewhere that they would both be sitting around waiting for one of them to get this job. Hop was the only “guy” originally, so i get him staying, but if you have 2 “candidates” on the same staff you would think that eventually one would see the writing on the wall and take a job elsewhere if they were being offered.

He may well succeed. But I'd much rather a proven head coach. I think its a much safer bet and this program, in its current state, can't risk more years of "figuring it out" IMO
Outside hires fail all the time. There's no exact science to this.

And we assume ADJW didn't kick the tires on some outside guys.

Syracuse is notoriously private when it comes to making personnel moves.

Our schemes are tired.
We aren't winning any more.
Attendance is down.
Recruiting is as bad as its been a long while.

Yeah. Continuity is important.

If there is ever a time to look externally, it's now.

Alas...like a wide open passing offense in our climate controlled Dome, it's something else so obvious it will never happen in Syracuse.
Not to nitpick, but attendance is down in college basketball all over.

Outside hires fail all the time. There's no exact science to this.

And we assume ADJW didn't kick the tires on some outside guys.

Syracuse is notoriously private when it comes to making personnel moves.
Where is your evidence for the statement; outside hires fail all the time?

Or even a proven Asst Coach. I hope Red is here for 25 years, but that is blind faith.

Edit

Make that 20 years as 25 is too old.

Not to nitpick, but attendance is down in college basketball all over.
Thanks to louisville’s timely decline, I think Syracuse should still be #2 in attendance this year. Arkansas, UNC and Tenn likely can’t top 19k this year. We shall see

I’m getting less and less excited about the prospect of red coaching everyday. I really find it hard to believe that for 7 years JB shot down every big time recruit red tried to bring in. I also find it even harder to believe that if red or GMac had any real opportunity to be a head coach elsewhere that they would both be sitting around waiting for one of them to get this job. Hop was the only “guy” originally, so i get him staying, but if you have 2 “candidates” on the same staff you would think that eventually one would see the writing on the wall and take a job elsewhere if they were being offered.
I doubt it was big time recruits. JB would have wanted those too but maybe JB backed off if he thought the kid would be a problem. It might have been more of fringe recruits and transfers when there were scholarships available. Agreed, I don't think these guys had people knocking down their door for other opportunities.

How does he bring stability? We need to go way up from where we have been lately. Winning brings stability not having played for SU.
We are no longer a final destination school. In house guys will stay if they are successful. Stability is a selling point for recruiting.

JB created an Orange community. Let's keep it up. Duke and NC stick to their roots and so should we.

I think were getting ahead of ourselves. We still need the first shoe to drop and then see what direction we go.

I will play along if it is Autry, that leaves 1 asst coach spot available, 2 if Gmac leaves.

I worry, how big Autry's rolodex is of other assistants to lure to SU.

It is imperative that hire is from outside of Syracuse. We can't be lazy and hire Devo or someone from Boehiems Army, (Blackwell) etc.

If I am JW, I am not having to pay a buyout on another head coach. Autry will probably accept a discounted rate. Use that money were saving to go towards poaching outside assistants from other programs. If they bring in 2 new assistants that will bring fresh eyes to upgrade the program, everything from schemes (Off+Def), Recruiting, scouting, S&C, Nutrition, operations, this might work. But they have to be unaffiliated from SU with a good resume.

I think the main “disconnect” is Gerry was such a fan favorite and a part of iconic teams (national champ, 2 big east tourney teams) that it’s hard for most fans to keep that separate.

Also, for those of us on the younger side we have no recollection of Red as a player and GMac was our introduction to the program.

Looking forward to getting to know him better. Let’s hope he’s here for a long time.
This is from my "main reason I'm an SU fan" post:

Grew up in Oswego, New York, and came of age during the "probation years." Vividly remember a game against G'Town that was on in the locker room at a CYO game I was participating in. During TOs, we'd run into the locker room to see if SU was holding off Mourning, Mutumbo, and all those other Georgetown thugs. It was the '90-'91 season when SU won in the dome 62-58. Billy Owens led us that day.

Who was my favorite from that team? Oddly it was Adrian Autry. Not sure why; I just liked his swagger. Loved when SU thrashed Kentucky in the dome in Autry's senior year and died a little when SU lost to Mizzou despite Autry putting the team on his shoulders during that tourney game.

He had such heart and was an amazing leader on the court in his junior and especially senior years. I wish I could find that Kentucky game on YouTube in 1994 because he abused Travis Ford. Thirty points and ten assists.

The dome erupted quite a few times that day.

Just watch about a minute of this footage from the Mizzou game. He didn't score before the half. Had 31 in the 2nd and overtime. That shot on his knees should have counted!

If you heard some of the names you'd be shocked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom