What I expect at this point… | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

What I expect at this point…

I agree. Outside hire is no sure thing either. I like Red and think he has earned a shot. I also wonder about the depth of Wildhack's search. He seems content with alum hires and I'm sure AA is coming cheaper than an outside hire and I don't care how flush our vault is with cash, that seems to matter here.
I am ok but not thrilled with this but lets use that cash to upgrade the pay of the assistants and get some quality experienced coaches that wont just be former players who are "yes men"

I'm pretty excited just to be moving on from JB. He had a great career, but it's time.

We haven't even heard the press conference yet, but I assume he will play man and have us in the thick of it for a bunch of DMV recruits.

DMV and NYC. I hope Red brings in a bunch of guards like Baylor's. That's what we need.

I heard his comments, I also saw them recruit Zion Cruz and Dior Johnson just last year lol like come on, Red wasn’t bringing top 20 guys to the doorstep and then JB was turning them away. Maybe I’m wrong, and I hope I am, but I need SOME sort of top recruit to commit with red as his primary before I believe he is a super star being held back by JB.
Say what you will, but Benny Williams was an Autry recruit and a 5-star. Red (and Benny) were instrumental in getting Judah. No, these were not turned away by JB but let’s give Red some credit for successful recruiting of highly rated prospects

I'm pretty excited just to be moving on from JB. He had a great career, but it's time.

We haven't even heard the press conference yet, but I assume he will play man and have us in the thick of it for a bunch of DMV recruits.

I hope we go after top recruiters and asst coaches at Big East schools. We can out pay them. Get back to our roots a bit. Having a coach who will actually not fall asleep at AAU games and get out on the road will definitely help.

Say what you will, but Benny Williams was an Autry recruit and a 5-star. Red (and Benny) were instrumental in getting Judah. No, these were not turned away by JB but let’s give Red some credit for successful recruiting of highly rated prospects

Which is the only explanation for why JAB didn't go after a do-it-all, experienced portal Forward -
That likely chases Benny away after last year, and then we don't land Judah.

Think just how screwed this season woulda been sans Judah.
/ shudder.

Red is a good recruiter IMO. We will see how he is as a HC.

Also, we don’t have a lot to go on as to how Red will be as a HC. That is the issue many have. Do you go with a known person (assuming we can get one) or do you take a chance on someone who has never been a HC? It seems like Red is riskier, but the upside is there.

He's made comments about a "mixed" defense. That worries me. JB could argue he does that too with that silly press

I dont know the answer to this, Im genuinely asking this and I am curious.

Did Red get overtures or feelers from schools for HC positions? Im not talking p5 schools, most p5 assistants head coaching path takes them to mid major stops as proving ground. Or to not traditionally great P5 programs at best. (see Hopkins, Mike)

I ask because I don't remember hearing about it. But that could've been me, I checked out for a few years when raising young kids. I do remember Hop being in scuttle constantly.

I know that his name was tossed around as a candidate for the UMass opening last year, but I'm not sure he ever threw his hat in that ring.

He's made comments about a "mixed" defense. That worries me. JB could argue he does that too with that silly press

What is wrong with that? I think you man the teams that you clearly have superior talent then or who have really strong shooting and you mix it up versus others who may have equal or superior talent as of now.

There are quite a few NBA teams playing some zone these days, it certainly still has a place in the game contrary to what many believe here. The Heat play a ton of zone, they are pretty good defensively to say the least.

DMV and NYC. I hope Red brings in a bunch of guards like Baylor's. That's what we need.

The Baylor model is basically a large chunk of the top 25 right now. Of course it's really the Nova model or the old Illinois FF team model.. you get the picture.

Guys like Judah and Quadir who attack and are aggressive with athletic wings and at least one big who can carve out some space on the boards. Each year won't be the same but key is higher level talent that can do multiple things.

I thought GMac was Judah's lead, miss on that. Benny is one, credit on that.

If you want to win today at the highest level you need to be able to throw different looks at teams on defense. Besides talent, it's been a key part of Oats success. He throws a mix of mtm, pressure and has tossed a zone in for several possessions too. Simply an effort to not allow the opponent to get or stay comfortable.

If you want to win today at the highest level you need to be able to throw different looks at teams on defense. Besides talent, it's been a key part of Oats success. He throws a mix of mtm, pressure and has tossed a zone in for several possessions too. Simply an effort to not allow the opponent to get or stay comfortable.

common sense really

Yes, please.

That's why I believe that all of the hand wringing about the zone last week was misguided. No defense is impregnable, and we've seen times when the personnel make the zone a competitive advantage many games. But you're disadvantaged if you can only play one style when teams get into a groove.

Doesn't matter to me what base defense we play. But you need to have a different pitch in the arsenal -- and we haven't had that in a LONG time.

Red has been a good recruiter since he’s been here. GMac and Griff both have struggled a bit IMO.

Isn’t red responsible for all of the DMV area? We’ve plucked some good players from that way since he’s been here…

one thing that needs to be clarified, because I've seen some posts suggesting otherwise: Red (if he does get the job) wouldn't be some quick kneejerk decision by JW. he has done his due diligence over the years (and especially this year).

i'll also say this: last month, if you had asked me about Red, i would've been lukewarm. but based on things i've heard in the last 10 days or so, i'm pretty sold. again, no assurances he's definitely getting the job, but if he does I'm fully on board.

Yes, please.

That's why I believe that all of the hand wringing about the zone last week was misguided. No defense is impregnable, and we've seen times when the personnel make the zone a competitive advantage many games. But you're disadvantaged if you can only play one style when teams get into a groove.

Doesn't matter to me what base defense we play. But you need to have a different pitch in the arsenal -- and we haven't had that in a LONG time.

Yeah- and while I was consistently in that thread beating up the zone, my point was never it is a bad defense. It's just a bad defense for more than half the game, or worse more than 80/90 pct which is what has been happening under JB. The game and analytics show that model is not a successful one anymore. Any defensive approach that lacks diversity is a poor one. Zone has additional disadvantages as a singular D... just like it has advantages in being deployed in tournament scenarios where preparation is lacking.

I feel like that is the point everyone is making around the zone, not that it's useless.

People don’t understand. Red can’t just go recruit and sign whoever the heck he wants. It all has to go through JB.
Also if a kid loves Red but doesn’t want to play for an 80yr old curmudgeon then what do you do?
The assistants can help recruit and figure out who to recruit but it’s up to JB to close the deal IF the kid wants to play for him.

Just go watch Red on the Devo and Jo Show. He is so nice and personable. His personality and upbringing would definitely resonate with kids today. He helped get Kris Joseph to Syracuse by telling Rob Murphy about him.

I was completely against Red being the HC but the more I read about him and listen to him I’m on the bandwagon.

Just my opinion . It’s an awful defense that breeds softness and should never be used by a school that can recruiting the level of athlete we can. Using it as a “change of pace” defense will be a disaster as you don’t have enough time to allocate sufficient practice resources to it without cutting into your time spent optimizing your base D. It should retire along with coach
Everyone who had hated the zone for thirty years will say aha I was right when it sure took a long time to eventually happen

There is a lot of basketball guy macho stuff since the dark ages here and a zillion man coaches come and go.

I agree it's over for the zone now but I'm glad we have had a coach with intuition and willingness to go against a conventual wisdom that wasn't right for a long time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom