What If Rak Was This Good in '13 & '14? | Syracusefan.com

What If Rak Was This Good in '13 & '14?

mantonio

Starter
Syracuse - Big East Tourney & National Champions 2013.

Probable repeat in 2014.

This kid was in a chrysalis for 3 years!

Probable repeat in 2014.

Put me in the camp that believes while he is of course greatly improved as a player year over year, his success has as much to do with him being utilized more this year. He was capable of much more last year, and their inability to involve him held that team back.

I think about that all of the time. Rak is a beast and is playing his way well into the 1st round. His baby hook, rebounding and FT shooting have taken an incredible leap.

Kudos to him and Hop for continuing to work on honing his skill set. Proud of him.

Or, you know, maybe, just maybe, he was this good, and getting hooked constantly and being the fifth option kept him from showing most of this.

What's the simpler reason for someone adding 10+ ppg to their stats, that they just improved THAT much from their junior to senior season, or opportunity.

Put me down for the latter.

Probable repeat in 2014.

Rak's inside moves came about because HE put in a lot of work over the summer. He did not have those skills in previous years.

he was this good last year, but he wasn't featured. JB runs a star system and last year's designated star was CJ Fair; he also prefers to focus on versatile forwards first, guards second and centers only when he doesn't have the other two.

I definitely think Rak was underutilized last year, but no way he was THIS good, we hit a major offensive funk in January last year, you'd think if he was this good they would have went to him more.

he was this good last year, but he wasn't featured. JB runs a star system and last year's designated star was CJ Fair; he also prefers to focus on versatile forwards first, guards second and centers only when he doesn't have the other two.

I don't buy it. If Christmas was this good last year, Boeheim would of even been smart enough to de-emphasize CJ and his lack of efficiency for Roc. Cooney could of been more of a spot up shooter by throwing it into the post and finding open spots on the floor. He wouldn't of had to run from sideline to sideline the entire game. CJ would of been better off himself if the ball went into the post more last year. Grant was in the same role as Roberson this year, so his game wouldn't of changed much.

I think Roc may have had the skill to put up some games like this last year, but I don't think he had the desire. He also was relied upon heavily last year to anchor the defense, and one thing I feel that has suffered this year because of our lack of depth is the Defense. Roc is so scared to commit a foul, he doesn't nearly try to block as many shots as he used to.

I definitely think Rak was underutilized last year, but no way he was THIS good, we hit a major offensive funk in January last year, you'd think if he was this good they would have went to him more.
one would think so, but one would be wrong

btw, he had a team-high offensive rating of 129.8 last year, but his usage rate trailed everyone except BMK.

JB built his offense around CJ. The centers were there to use their fouls on the defensive end.

I don't buy it. If Christmas was this good last year, Boeheim would of even been smart enough to de-emphasize CJ and his lack of efficiency for Roc.
I think JB is one of the best coaches in college hoops history, but he is not perfect. He thought his best offensive players last year were, in order, Fair, Ennis & Grant. Cooney was the designated shooter, the centers were there for defense. The usage percentages bear this out.

The system worked great for a while - 25-0, #1 in the nation. When the offensive wheels finally fell off, it was either too late to try to re-tool or JB was too stubborn. I think the former, but a lot of people will pick the latter.

Then you never read what Rak said about his summer.

I've never seen anyone on any level improve in one year as much as Rak has. It's impossible to develop the array of shots he has shown in one summer. Hooks, floaters,banks, spin moves, jumpers, fingerrolls and all with BOTH HANDS. What about the ability to drive, handle and create. But the most important thing is the way he fends off his man and goes after the entry pass. He has been underutilized. At least 3 times a game I say" Wow" to myself when he scores. You can't learn these skills in one summer.

I've never seen anyone on any level improve in one year as much as Rak has. It's impossible to develop the array of shots he has shown in one summer. Hooks, floaters,banks, spin moves, jumpers, fingerrolls and all with BOTH HANDS. What about the ability to drive, handle and create. But the most important thing is the way he fends off his man and goes after the entry pass. He has been underutilized. At least 3 times a game I say" Wow" to myself when he scores. You can't learn these skills in one summer.

Agreed. Not sure why people insist on one or the other. Why can't it be both, that he has improved, and is being force fed more helping to drive his production? No doubt in my mind it is both.

The problem with hypothetical questions is that they are hypothetical.

You would think that. Yet...

I don't buy it. If Christmas was this good last year, Boeheim would of even been smart enough to de-emphasize CJ and his lack of efficiency for Roc. Cooney could of been more of a spot up shooter by throwing it into the post and finding open spots on the floor. He wouldn't of had to run from sideline to sideline the entire game. CJ would of been better off himself if the ball went into the post more last year. Grant was in the same role as Roberson this year, so his game wouldn't of changed much.

I think Roc may have had the skill to put up some games like this last year, but I don't think he had the desire. He also was relied upon heavily last year to anchor the defense, and one thing I feel that has suffered this year because of our lack of depth is the Defense. Roc is so scared to commit a foul, he doesn't nearly try to block as many shots as he used to.

Then you never read what Rak said about his summer.

What JB said, from his radio show:

"Rakeem isn’t coming – he’s there. He could have gotten there last year but the focus was on the guards and forwards. We had more options then."

About the only time this is fairly appropriate to post. Also from an artist that's known as a Big Syracuse fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom