What I'm hearing | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Leo Rautins be an outrageous hire?
He could certainly re-establish the Canadian pipeline.

John Wildhack has an extraordinary list of contacts in the college athletics world to discuss this with. I think he is better positioned to identify the top candidates, understand the pros and cons and make an informed decision than anyone on this board (or even any other AD in the country).

This idea that he is going to limit himself to one of the assistants is pretty foolish. He is not going to do the easy thing here; he is going to do the right thing.

John is not some hired gun looking to make a quick buck and move to a bigger school. He is one of us and I can guarantee you that he cares about our basketball program (and all other SU sports) at least as much as any of us.

I don't know John. He is not a friend of mine and I am sure he would not recognize me if we met face to face (might think oh I see this guy at a lot of events, he must be a big fan).

If I had to pick one person to make the choice for our next men's HC for basketball, I would pick John. Without question or hesitation.

Whoever he picks is going to be a great choice.

Of this, I have great confidence.
^^The Voice of Reason, per usual. I think you know more than you are implying.

It's hard to imagine many ADs more connected than JW. It's equally hard to imagine that those connections are not already a part of his due diligence in planning for JB's eventual successor.

I believe there's a 0% chance JW hires someone who is not a SU basketball alumni. 0%. It can't imagine it's not simply between Red and Hop.

JB commented on Coach K's succession plan, specifically the part where it was passed down within the program, and said something like "that's the way to do it".

I think Hop is the first choice, in part, because nothing has been announced. Obviously you cannot announce the plan if it involves taking Washington's coach. On the other hand, you could announce the plan if it involved promoting the SU associate head coach, and, from a talent retention and recruiting standpoint, I don't see any benefit to withholding that information if that's the case. If Red's taking over, it would be easier to land and keep players if you tell them that. Last time there was a succession plan (when Hop was coach-in-waiting), they announced the plan. Granted things changed and the plan wasn't executed, but it didn't fail because the plan was public. What reason would SU have to do anything differently the second time (except maybe not identifying an exact deadline in case JB wants an extra year or two)?

On the other hand, maybe it's private simply because JB doesn't like talking about his retirement. We all know that, and Buddy even said as much on a recent podcast I believe with Mike Waters. Buddy said he thinks JB coaches 1-3 more years (with 3 being likely the absolute most), but said he has no idea and JB doesn't talk about it (who knows if that's true, but the point remains).

Also, Chris Bunch said he really liked Hop and was about to commit, but "things changed over night". That could mean he was told Hop was coming back to SU, and that saves him from having to transfer to follow his coach. Could also mean nothing. Hearing something about Hop's potential return would make sense, but I also have a hard time believing they told a kid about it and trust him to keep it quiet.

When asked about the SU job within the last year or so, Hop gave a vague answer -- something like he's worried about winning games this season. That's the exact type of answer someone gives who wants to be considered for the job and leave his options open.

Hop's days at Washington might be limited whether he likes it or not, another reason for him to reset the shot clock and move back to SU.

He would also be more successful on the East Coast given his connections. He wants to build a legacy, and will want to coach the team that will provide him the best opportunity for success.

Hop's best asset is his charisma (as per accounts; I've never met him). Coaching is a job. Charismatic people have a tendency to land jobs. He knows all the decision-makers and important people affiliated with SU, and one could see him being able to talk his way into the job, despite his ups and downs at Washington.

Hop's aging parents work against this though, as he may want to be on the West coast for end of life care. If they are getting close to end of life, and if that's the plan everyone settled on, I'm sure JB would coach an extra year or so (as long as he's healthy). Not sure if he has siblings who live near his parents and could care for them.

There's a lot of moving pieces to bringing Hop back to SU, so I would give at least equal odds the next coach is Red.

Hop was a great recruiter and the program's recent demise was exacerbated by his leaving. Not only was he a recruiting ace, but all of the guys loved him. He kept kids in the program who wanted to leave, including Dion Waiters. That's incredibly important in the new era of the transfer portal. Listen to Devo's podcasts -- Hop was their guy. Syracuse's main issue lately has been lack of top talent. If he can bring that back to SU, then why not give him a chance. Bring in guys with NBA potential and let them get buckets. They don't need to (and won't) give him a lifetime contract. Give him 5 years and see if he can bring them back to consistently being in the top 25 and landing top 75 recruits. If not, move on and open it up. The mixed results at Washington shouldn't count him out. He inherited a dead program and revived it, and then had ups and downs (with the downs being really bad). It's hard to be good at your job, no matter the job, without experience and failing a few times. Maybe he got it out of his system, learned from his mistakes and learned what works and what doesn't, and is ready to lead a winning team. Ultimately, Hop has potential--whether or not he's lived up to it yet--and he's the most obvious choice and close to the program, so why not try it for a few years.

I think a national search for non-SU alumni would be wildly underwhelming. We won't land a big-name proven winner. Popovich isn't going to leave the NBA to coach Syracuse. Rick Pitino has a stained record and SU is paranoid about more sanctions. I think the candidates will be coaches looking to make their name, not unlike Hop or even Red. That means it would be hard to beat out a charismatic alumni who has proven he can recruit and retain talent in Syracuse NY at the highest level. If I'm wrong, and there's a really qualified candidate, by all means hire him. I just don't see it.
So you think JW will hire an alum because JB would want this?

That is your rationale?

I keep reading this and it just makes no sense.

JW has given up millions in earnings to become the AD here. He did it because he loves the university and the athletic programs, knows a critical time is coming for our key the athletic programs and wants to ensure things go properly.

He isn't going to let JB make the decision on the new basketball coach. He knows JB cannot be objective on this. He is not stupid.

John can be objective on this. He loves the program too much to do otherwise.

Now if the program was purring along winning 25 games every season, being ranked almost continuously, getting deep into the NCAA tournament each year, yes, I would agree with you. No need to make big changes. The system is working. Let's hire JB's staff to continue running things.

That clearly is not the case. And because of that, John is going to make changes to address the situation. If there was a alum now outside the program well positioned to take it over and pull it out of this downslide, I agree he would be a primary target.

Someone like FLJ. But for the men, there isn't. So John is going to have no choice but to look elsewhere.

I really like Niko Medved only question about him would be can he recruit out east.

Jim Boeheim's record the last 7 seasons: 138-98 9-4 1 FF, 3 Sweet 16's in the NCAA's

Shaka Smart's record the last 7 seasons: 127-99 0-4 in the NCAA's

I mean...
This guy is not a candidate to replace Jim Boeheim so his record is kind of irrelevant.
1649104658804.png

I didn't think people would be very thrilled with that list. But people are sniffing glue if they think Jay Wright, Brad Stevens, Mark Few, Tony Bennett, Jim Larranaga, Fran McCaffrey, Matt Painter, Chris Beard or Scott Drew are in SU's future. I think it's evidence that we will likely see Hop or current assistant because there's not really a bunch of attractive names elsewhere that would be in play.

This guy is not a candidate to replace Jim Boeheim so his record is kind of irrelevant.
View attachment 216317

I didn't think people would be very thrilled with that list. But people are sniffing glue if they think Jay Wright, Brad Stevens, Mark Few, Tony Bennett, Jim Larranaga, Fran McCaffrey, Matt Painter, Chris Beard or Scott Drew are in SU's future. I think it's evidence that we will likely see Hop or current assistant because there's not really a bunch of attractive names elsewhere that would be in play.
I think some coaches will emerge that will be attractive. Those just weren't them.

View attachment 216317

I agree. We are very much on the same page with that. I picked on Shaka Smart out of that list because he used to be a board golden boy. Funny how things change quickly.

Last edited:
Nothing against anyone on that list but I don't see how that really gets us back to being us. If it is Red, that is one thing but he needs a experienced guy sitting next to him and a powerful recruiter next to him. I don't see Stevie giving us much. He has no East coast ties that I know of.
Maybe rob Murphy wants to get back into the college game? I know he’s in the gleague and NBA in some capacity but might be worth a try.

He wasn't exactly successful at his college job. We need to do better. Plus, another guy without the East coast ties we need.
I just have a hard time believing you’re going to find someone who is successful at their current job to come be an assistant under a first time head coach. Rob has previous ties here and a lot of head coaching and basketball experience. Don’t know if he would take it just because of the grind that’s comes along with it and his current situation but I think he should be at the top of the list.

Mike Hopkins winning percentage at Washington: .531
Shaka Smart winning percentage at Texas and marq: .559

His team was exciting for 6 games in 2011 at VCU. That was a long time ago.

With numbers like that we are hiring the alum every time. Not enough of a difference.
Shaka smart was coaching in one of the best conferences in CBB that was always ranked and the other is coaching in a really down pac12…

So you think JW will hire an alum because JB would want this?

That is your rationale?

I keep reading this and it just makes no sense.

JW has given up millions in earnings to become the AD here. He did it because he loves the university and the athletic programs, knows a critical time is coming for our key the athletic programs and wants to ensure things go properly.

He isn't going to let JB make the decision on the new basketball coach. He knows JB cannot be objective on this. He is not stupid.

John can be objective on this. He loves the program too much to do otherwise.

Now if the program was purring along winning 25 games every season, being ranked almost continuously, getting deep into the NCAA tournament each year, yes, I would agree with you. No need to make big changes. The system is working. Let's hire JB's staff to continue running things.

That clearly is not the case. And because of that, John is going to make changes to address the situation. If there was a alum now outside the program well positioned to take it over and pull it out of this downslide, I agree he would be a primary target.

Someone like FLJ. But for the men, there isn't. So John is going to have no choice but to look elsewhere.
That's not what I think. I don't think JW will hire an alumni just because JB wants that (although JB's input definitely carries weight, no matter what he says), but I do think that's what will ultimately happen.

JB recently said passing a program down to someone on the inside is the best approach. He also recently said JW and SU have "an ironclad plan". So, at the time JB made the remark about passing the reins internally, he was fully aware of the actual in-place plan. It logically makes sense that means the in-place plan involves passing the reins to an alumni. Otherwise, he likely would not have made the comment. From what I’ve noticed, JW and JB are usually on the same page and aren’t out there putting out contradictory statements or throwing each other under the bus. I think JB’s statement was in sync with what he knew was happening.

Also, the phrase “ironclad plan” makes me believe they know who they are targeting (maybe one person or maybe a couple). How could the plan of rolling out an unlimited national search be “ironclad” – it’s a plan sure enough, but it’s simply what needs to be done and there’s no guarantees. If they know who they are targeting before JB announces his retirement, I personally believe there’s a strong chance the target was previously affiliated with the program. Not guaranteed as I understand JW is well-connected, but it makes sense.

I don't know JW and I don't know the way he thinks or the way he will approach the task of replacing JB. Just putting together the public clues we've gotten.

In any event, things change rapidly in college basketball, and we can only speculate until JB actually retires and someone is actually on payroll as the new head coach.

I was on the Smart Fanclub until I started looking closer at him and I just don't know what his team does well?

-Win at a high clip? - No not really
-Play outstanding offense?- No not really
-Play outstanding defense?- No not really

Something to think about here. Georgetown is just as likely as us to be looking for a new coach next year. It shares lots of the same main attractions as us, though we’re definitely in better shape overall. But say they’re willing to offer a bit more money, then I could definitely see them beating us out for a coach. Also some of the guys mentioned above have direct ties to Georgetown, like off the top of my head Boynton and Amakur.

This is probably going to be wildly unpopular, but an outside candidate could be Bobby Hurley Jr. Not if he has another year like he did this year or last year, but if he turns it around and has a good year, I could definitely see mutual interest between us and him. The guy has shown he can recruit even to Arizona state. He’ll certainly be a top top recruiter in the northeast, where he actually has ties to unlike in the middle of nowhere Arizona.

Also, why is everybody saying no to Rick Pitino? I wouldn’t mind having him at all…

Something to think about here. Georgetown is just as likely as us to be looking for a new coach next year. It shares lots of the same main attractions as us, though we’re definitely in better shape overall. But say they’re willing to offer a bit more money, then I could definitely see them beating us out for a coach. Also some of the guys mentioned above have direct ties to Georgetown, like off the top of my head Boynton and Amakur.

This is probably going to be wildly unpopular, but an outside candidate could be Bobby Hurley Jr. Not if he has another year like he did this year or last year, but if he turns it around and has a good year, I could definitely see mutual interest between us and him. The guy has shown he can recruit even to Arizona state. He’ll certainly be a top top recruiter in the northeast, where he actually has ties to unlike in the middle of nowhere Arizona.

Also, why is everybody saying no to Rick Pitino? I wouldn’t mind having him at all…
Hurley is an a$$hole and has the same winning percentage as MH. It’s never happening.

Jim Boeheim's record the last 7 seasons: 138-98 9-4 1 FF, 3 Sweet 16's in the NCAA's

Shaka Smart's record the last 7 seasons: 127-99 0-4 in the NCAA's

I mean...

Those are a couple good sets of numbers you've provided.
What are your thoughts? Do you have a candidate to succeed JB?

It’s gonna be
Head coach- Red
Associate head coach-Gmac
Assistant-Griff
Assistant-Stevie Thompson

If this is what it's going to be, then 1 of those guys has to be replaced with an AAU coach or Prep Coach from the Boston to DC corridor who can kill it in recruiting.

Very possibly. But as of now I think they're all staying where they are, will likely have winning seasons again next year and SU will still be a better job than they have. And yes, other names will bubble up. I was really just kind of coming up with a realistic list of candidates without all the pie in the sky dreamworlds of Wright and Stevens etc.

And it was a solid effort, as evidenced by the amount of chatter you've generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom