What in the name of Larry Culpepper | Syracusefan.com

What in the name of Larry Culpepper

CuyahogaCuse

2nd String
did we just watch?

The College football Postseason is broken. They’ve destroyed New Year’s day. There is no real playoff. The “championship” game is on a Monday night and ends at midnight in a 4-hour snooze fest. And the only people watching are the Alabama fans and a relative few die hards.

My son and I love CFB. We live in Ohio (but are Cuse fans, of course). And even we turned it off of shear boredom and the need to “do real life” on Tuesday. How many more commercials for every obvious replay review do we need to be subjected to?

Enough already. 8 team playoff. Not pseudo bowl games. Actual playoffs. Higher seed hosts at home. Three weeks. Restore New Year’s Day. Plenty of bowls for the other 72-ish teams besides Syracuse that qualify every year. Championship: Saturday night after New Years. Night before NFL regular season ends.

It makes too much sense. It will never happen.

I mean, that was no snooze fest in my opinion. I enjoy watching the best of the best make awesome plays. 2nd half wasn't as fun as the 1st clearly, but hey, the 3rd quarter was still pretty fun.

Lots of big hits, big time catches, hard runs, a record breaking performance, can't ask for much more besides a more competitive game right?

In the 23 seasons since the BCS began in 1998, we have had 21 champions from the southern half of the country, (22 if you count USC as a co-champion 2003), and two from the north, both Ohio State teams and that's who got crushed tonight.

In the 23 years before that, there were 28 champions or co-champions. 11 of them were northern teams from 7 different schools, none of whom were Ohio State, (Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Penn State, BYU, Colorado, Washington, Nebraska and Michigan).

Last edited:
The problem with college football is not the playoff system it’s that’s there are really only 3 competitive teams. I’m tired of watching Bama, Clemson and Ohio State. There is a huge talent drop off after that. That Bama team might be the best to ever play btw. But it’s boring.

The problem with college football is not the playoff system it’s that’s there are really only 3 competitive teams. I’m tired of watching Bama, Clemson and Ohio State. There is a huge talent drop off after that. That Bama team might be the best to ever play btw. But it’s boring.

I feel the same way. There's a definite drop off after the few elite teams. It might get better when Saban retires and if Dabo ever leaves Clemson. At least one can hope.

It's more then Saban and Dabo, it is all the money that pours into those programs and large state schools in general.

Exactly. Good point. That's why I doubt the reigns will ever stop even with different coaches, but one can hope.

Bama beat the #4 team.

Bama destroyed the winner of the #2-3 game.

Do we really need to see Bama viscerate Cincinnati?

Agree. I'm not sure what we're accomplishing with expansion.

did we just watch?

The College football Postseason is broken. They’ve destroyed New Year’s day. There is no real playoff. The “championship” game is on a Monday night and ends at midnight in a 4-hour snooze fest. And the only people watching are the Alabama fans and a relative few die hards.

My son and I love CFB. We live in Ohio (but are Cuse fans, of course). And even we turned it off of shear boredom and the need to “do real life” on Tuesday. How many more commercials for every obvious replay review do we need to be subjected to?

Enough already. 8 team playoff. Not pseudo bowl games. Actual playoffs. Higher seed hosts at home. Three weeks. Restore New Year’s Day. Plenty of bowls for the other 72-ish teams besides Syracuse that qualify every year. Championship: Saturday night after New Years. Night before NFL regular season ends.

It makes too much sense. It will never happen.
Yep. I knew I didn't care enough to stay up for the whole thing, so I didn't bother to see the beginning. Why make my wife watch non-SU sports on a weeknight? I watched for about 5 minutes after my wife went to bed. But the west coast got to see kickoff, so that's what matters.

As long as the top talent continues to go to the same schools nothing will change. If you look at the top 200 players each year they go to the same schools with the top 75 usually going to the big 3.
To me another issue is all the consultants. A coaching staff is limited by ncaa rules but some how bama seems to have 50 coaches. Supposedly they all cannot interact with the player but imagine each position coach having 5 experienced coaches to break down film and other duties. Unfair advantage.

I wont pretend I know what the vast majority wants but I definitely would be much more interested with an 8 team playoff even if the usuals end up in the final 4. It's still something big to play for and would keep this guy interested in a lot more teams.

Bama beat the #4 team.

Bama destroyed the winner of the #2-3 game.

Do we really need to see Bama viscerate Cincinnati?
We accomplish putting even more boring less competitive games on TV and making some teams with no chance feel good because they are in the playoff. Honestly, I was okay with the BCS and only two teams. There was a lot of clatter about poor Texas A&M being left out because they played a hard schedule and only lost to Alabama. Well they got smoked by Alabama, and didn't make it to their conference championship game. I didn't need to see them lose to Alabama again.

Playing these on Monday night's is pretty lame, considering the whole season for the casual fan revolves around Saturday night and what comes with that.

But yeah, it's boring as heck, these are nation-states competing against each other.

8 team playoff wouldn’t change anything.

Until Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and other top recruiting teams don’t recruit like they do it’s not changing.
This isn’t pro football with parity.

Talent in college football is never even.

We don’t need 8 teams when it won’t change anything.
If you want change then you gotta out recruit the factories. We can’t do that but Florida State, USC, Michigan, Texas could.

Playing these on Monday night's is pretty lame, considering the whole season for the casual fan revolves around Saturday night and what comes with that.

But yeah, it's boring as heck, these are nation-states competing against each other.
Totally agree

the fact the NW a team with no offense and just a solid D was right there with OSU probably should have made it clear what Ala was gonna do.

This x 1000

The game will be what it will be. Let the people watch. First Saturday night In January. Before the last day of the NFL season. Not on an obscure Monday night in January with the trophy hoisted at midnight. Just dumb.