What in the name of Larry Culpepper | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What in the name of Larry Culpepper

I feel like none of it matters. When Alabama can lose a QB, tackle, 2 WRs in the first FIFTEEN picks of the NFL draft and come back the next year with a BETTER offense, everyone else should be terrified.

They've seen assistant coaches leave for head coaching job elsewhere, and the machine keeps cranking.

From Reddit

Alabama keeps one of the most ridiculous streaks I've ever seen in college sports going... every player who played at least 3 years for Nick Saban's Alabama (the minimum amount of years out of high school before a player can declare for the NFL Draft) has won a National Championship.

07 class - won in 09
08 class - won in 09
09 class - won in 09, 11
10 class - won in 11, 12
11 class - won in 11, 12
12 class - won in 12
13 class - won in 15
14 class - won in 15
15 class - won in 15, 17
16 class - won in 17
17 class - won in 17
18 class - won in 20
19 class - won in 20
20 class - won in 20

The only thing that was remotely enjoyable about last night is I thought the TV crew did a good job explaining how the best player continued to be open. Sarkisian and the scheme were fun to watch. Looked like he was playing chess and OSU DC was playing ...I don't know.

Playing these on Monday night's is pretty lame, considering the whole season for the casual fan revolves around Saturday night and what comes with that.

But yeah, it's boring as heck, these are nation-states competing against each other.
You'll have to convince the NFL to not hold playoff games on the second Saturday in January.

I'm sure you can guess how that'll go. ;)

College football needs a salary cap.
This is really it. CFB's system is literally designed to let the rich get richer, and stomp out parity. I understand that over time programs do rise and fall. But that's a long term dynamic, and you end up with these cyclical stretches where only a handful of programs dominate.

I posted a few weeks ago that in the past six years of the CFP, three of Bama, tOSU, Clemson and Oklahoma have been in every final four. As a fan I find that tiring, but everyone's mileage may vary.

Pretty crazy that in those same six years, there have been 16 NFL teams that made the conference championship game (the final four, as it were). In college, which has 2X the number of teams (counting the Power 5) there has been 11.

Bama beat the #4 team.

Bama destroyed the winner of the #2-3 game.

Do we really need to see Bama viscerate Cincinnati?

Agree. I'm not sure what we're accomplishing with expansion.

I agree that there is a definite gap between the three "usual suspect" and the rest, although LSU broke through last year and I don't suspect that including mid-majors, as Pac 12 team or more Power 5 also rans would change it. I see the 'top heavy' problem as a separate issue than what a playoff should look like. An expanded playoff might provide more fun than we saw in the three games this year.

My big thing is that purpose of divisions is to give everybody a shot at a championship. Even if they'd be unlikely to win it, things should be decided on the field. Everybody should have a portal into the playoff, either a single bid to the top mid major in an 8 team playoff with auto bids to the Power 5 champs or 16 teams with all the conference champs and 6 wild cards. Maybe the top mid majors could play a 4 team playoff in December for that one spot in an 8 team playoff. That would still be more interesting than the Myrtle Beach Bowl or the Idaho Potato Bowl.

There's also a lot of teams in the basketball tournament that aren't going to win but they are glad to be there and find out how far they can go, hoping to pull off an upset. The football tournaments in the lower division provide a lot of entertainment.

What I'd really like is to take the top 72 programs, put them in 8 nine team conferences and have an 8 team playoff of the champions of those conferences. Combine the rest of FBS wit FCS, from whence they came and have a 16 team playoff there. (Give North Dakota State some competition.) Then take Divisions 2 and 3 and the NAIA and combine them into a new Division 3 with a 32 team playoff.

Playing these on Monday night's is pretty lame, considering the whole season for the casual fan revolves around Saturday night and what comes with that.

But yeah, it's boring as heck, these are nation-states competing against each other.

That's a great point. It's one thing to have, say, the basketball tournament championship on a Monday after a big spectacle final four on Saturday, because hoops enables that rapid of a turnaround timeframe.

But there's no reason to have the football national championship artificially on a Monday night. They play the semi-finals on a Saturday, why not just play the following Saturday or Sunday?

did we just watch?

The College football Postseason is broken. They’ve destroyed New Year’s day. There is no real playoff. The “championship” game is on a Monday night and ends at midnight in a 4-hour snooze fest. And the only people watching are the Alabama fans and a relative few die hards.

My son and I love CFB. We live in Ohio (but are Cuse fans, of course). And even we turned it off of shear boredom and the need to “do real life” on Tuesday. How many more commercials for every obvious replay review do we need to be subjected to?

Enough already. 8 team playoff. Not pseudo bowl games. Actual playoffs. Higher seed hosts at home. Three weeks. Restore New Year’s Day. Plenty of bowls for the other 72-ish teams besides Syracuse that qualify every year. Championship: Saturday night after New Years. Night before NFL regular season ends.

It makes too much sense. It will never happen.
Like your post for the title!

Fair enough.
  • Win by 40+ = snooze fest
  • Win by 28 = yawner
I stand by my premise. The college postseason is broken.
Unless you are a fan of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Notre Dame or Oklahoma. But yeah other than that. I can almost guarantee that, without changes, at least 3 of these teams will be in the CFP in each of the next 10 seasons.

As long as the top talent continues to go to the same schools nothing will change. If you look at the top 200 players each year they go to the same schools with the top 75 usually going to the big 3.
To me another issue is all the consultants. A coaching staff is limited by ncaa rules but some how bama seems to have 50 coaches. Supposedly they all cannot interact with the player but imagine each position coach having 5 experienced coaches to break down film and other duties. Unfair advantage.
Couldnt agree more with this. Saban has an army of ex-head coach 'consultants' whom I would assume get paid quite handsomely.

NFL at 1 and 4, college at night. Can't we all just get along? (don't answer that).
Hahaha. I eagerly await the response from CBS, NBC and FOX when told they can't get a prime time playoff game. There might be a few obscenities involved.

That's a great point. It's one thing to have, say, the basketball tournament championship on a Monday after a big spectacle final four on Saturday, because hoops enables that rapid of a turnaround timeframe.

But there's no reason to have the football national championship artificially on a Monday night. They play the semi-finals on a Saturday, why not just play the following Saturday or Sunday?
There's a reason.

Hahaha. I eagerly await the response from CBS, NBC and FOX when told they can't get a prime time playoff game. There might be a few obscenities involved.

I was thinking they would just get asked. So they wouldn't get to the obscenities part. It would just be the hahaha part.

Then when the laughter ends, it would be "oh you're serious? No." Click.

I wish the game would start earlier on that Monday. It's such a long sport as it is, then throw in all the ad time needed, the extended halftime. Even if it was a good game, I doubt I'd make it.

The west coast should have 2 hour early release from work, like schools do around quarter end.

You'll have to convince the NFL to not hold playoff games on the second Saturday in January.

I'm sure you can guess how that'll go. ;)
I stated in the thread, twice I think, that this game should be played on the Saturday night before week 17 of the NFL season.

This year: 02 January 2021.

No NFL conflict. But if course, it will never happen.

College football has to figure out how they can get more parity. NFL cap has allowed for more exciting and unpredictable SB games. The Pats had a great 20 year run but their SB's were mostly spreaded out and none of them were blow outs. They were close games that could have went either way.

College football has to figure out how they can get more parity. NFL cap has allowed for more exciting and unpredictable SB games. The Pats had a great 20 year run but their SB's were mostly spreaded out and none of them were blow outs. They were close games that could have went either way.

Let the worst teams get the first pick of the 5 star recruits.

I can't do the exercise, but what would the bowl games look like if we went back to non-playoff/non-BCS bowl games? Believe me, that's not what I want, but FSU finished in the top 5 like 14 years in a row. Even if they were cheating, Miami was a juggernaut in the 80s/early 90s. Nebraska, etc.

It's not like these top teams haven't been around, but was the old bowl setup better at masking some of the repetitiveness? I get it wasn't as bad as it is now, but is it definitely just the haves vs the have nots or is the system just making it easier to keep ending up with the same teams?

Bama, OSU and Clemson always start out top ranked in the polls. So even if they have a loss, they are still in the hunt to get into the playoffs (or in the case of this year, only play 6 games or whatever OSU played in the reg season).

We accomplish putting even more boring less competitive games on TV and making some teams with no chance feel good because they are in the playoff. Honestly, I was okay with the BCS and only two teams. There was a lot of clatter about poor Texas A&M being left out because they played a hard schedule and only lost to Alabama. Well they got smoked by Alabama, and didn't make it to their conference championship game. I didn't need to see them lose to Alabama again.
It's the same reason people watch the Nacc tournament. 1 vs 16 happened only once but man it is fun to watch until it isn't. Just the thought of a team no one gives a chance of winning will have eyes on the game.

The superbowl starts and ends 2 hours earlier.
It starts earlier to air the gazillion commercials and ends earlier so the great commercials can be re-aired. :p

Reduce football scholarships
That seems like the easiest solution, it would force a greater dispersion of talent. The top talent would still find its way to the factories but there would be more to go around.