What must John Wildhack consider as he decides Dino Babers’ fate? | Syracusefan.com

What must John Wildhack consider as he decides Dino Babers’ fate?

This reads like Wildhack was the anonymous source.

If we've really stretched ourselves this thin, then just let him coach until the end of his contract and be a lame duck. Make a decision after that season.

Who cares, won't look much different than this year, even recruiting as a lame duck.

But I'd move on after that, find someone cheap that is overly appreciative of the opportunity. Would be better than the guy who seems to have checked out.

If we've really stretched ourselves this thin, then just let him coach until the end of his contract and be a lame duck. Make a decision after that season.

Who cares, won't look much different than this year, even recruiting as a lame duck.

But I'd move on after that, find someone cheap that is overly appreciative of the opportunity. Would be better than the guy who seems to have checked out.

That is ominous from the Syracuse paper. It did feel like the SU machine is punching back with their excuse machine that they can't afford to make a rash decision financially here.

That to me is worse than any other story i've seen. This decision may be moot point to the overall financial shape of the AD and what they want to do and can do financially to pivot

we aren't flush with cash for buy out, new hire or NIL. Donors need to step up.

That is backwards. If we go 5-7 and Dino is still HC it might be the final nail in the coffin for what little is left of the FB fanbase. People will say that they are done and will not comeback as anything more than a casual fan. We will be Duke and Wake as a fanbase. Attendance is down this year as it is. Keeping him will make that worse. No one is going to invest in NIL while Dino is still here. And the longer he stays the less people will care to buy back in for the future.

That is backwards. If we go 5-7 and Dino is still HC it might be the final nail in the coffin for what little is left of the FB fanbase. People will say that they are done and will not comeback as anything more than a casual fan. We will be Duke and Wake as a fanbase. Attendance is down this year as it is. Keeping him will make that worse. No one is going to invest in NIL while Dino is still here. And the longer he stays the less people will care to buy back in for the future.
And moving season ticket holders seats and raising ticket prices at the same time. Why buy season tix anymore? You’ll be able to sit wherever you want and go the games you want without the investment

So you sign a coach to a contract of which you can’t afford to buy out if need be? AD malpractice

Dino hit the jackpot
Here is where I disagree strongly with many here. Saying it’s time for a change based on results is fine, making Coach Babers into some kind of grifter thats fleecing the University is wrong. Everyone that knows the coach knows that’s not who he is, having a bad run of games does not mean you have no character. I’ll stand by that .

I’m so tired of “Cry me a River” about lack of funds. BC, Wake, Pitt, Virginia, GT, Duke, and Miami all draw lousy crowds for football. Syracuse leads in attendance every year in basketball, but we can’t compete with any of these schools. SU probably receives more money for naming rights for the Dome than any other college stadium in the country. I believe SU raised $47 million last year for donations, which might be the highest in the ACC. We get an even split of money with all ACC schools, yet we can’t compete. JB was on the cheap for 47 years compared to other top programs. Dino is number 47 out 67 in salary. Where the hell are they spending the money? I’m tired of excuses.

And moving season ticket holders seats and raising ticket prices at the same time. Why buy season tix anymore? You’ll be able to sit wherever you want and go the games you want without the investment

Using 2023 prices, you can get two 50 yard line season tickets for $1300 or you can go to only two games for around 1/4 of that price. You can easily save yourself over $750. The gap will be even worse next year if Dino is retained and prices go up.

The only good news is if Dino comes back no one will want the seats I have had for the past 32 years.

In all seriousness like many others on this board I have been a die hard football fan since returning to CNY in 1990. Through all the down years I have continued to support this program but with the new portal transfer/free agency, NIL, etc my interest is at an all-time low.

To top it off instead of the university doing everything possible to make sure long time season ticket holders have the right of first refusal for their seats we are being told to buy basketball season tickets or donate more money to the AD fund if we want to increase our odds of keeping our seats.

If I lose my seats in Row A after 32 years I am seriously considering watching the home games in the comfort of my man cave and taking a couple of road trips each year to see the team play in different venues across the country. Honestly the tailgating and atmosphere in other stadiums is much better than the dome where I can even make out what is being said over the sound system.

Wondered that too but I don't think it was after thinking through it. It was too negative of a source to be JW -- why go out there and crap on the opportunity for the next coach you're going to have to hire unless he knows it won't be this year and thinks the NIL situation will be better by then.

Also, the source on the NIL situation contradicts what other insiders on here have said who claim we're middle of the pack in the ACC. That source makes it seem like we're at the bottom.

Given what the school is paying for in terms of upgrades to facilities, it would be FOOLISH to not invest in the buyout now, especially with the need to sell lots of new season tickets this offseason. The best way to get excitement back in the program is a new coach. Saving say $4-5M (if it's a full buyout) could be overcome very easily.

If SU can't buy out ONE YEAR of Dino's contract then we should downgrade the program.

I'm 100% serious.

I also don't believe that for a second.
that athletic dept has some nerve with the amount of discount they got from Jim Boeheim for about 25 years.

I mean what the heck is going on if this is the narrative coming from JW. I'm hoping this is an elaborate belt tightening exercise to squeeze some donors who are dragging their feet but very concerning.

I will absolutely throw up if they hire a new coach and say we need to give the guy 4-5 years. I’ve been waiting for over twenty years.

I’m so tired of “Cry me a River” about lack of funds. BC, Wake, Pitt, Virginia, GT, Duke, and Miami all draw lousy crowds for football. Syracuse leads in attendance every year in basketball, but we can’t compete with any of these schools. SU probably receives more money for naming rights for the Dome than any other college stadium in the country. I believe SU raised $47 million last year for donations, which might be the highest in the ACC. We get an even split of money with all ACC schools, yet we can’t compete. JB was on the cheap for 47 years compared to other top programs. Dino is number 47 out 67 in salary. Where the hell are they spending the money? I’m tired of excuses.
well the dome is probably 10x as expensive to maintain as a normal stadium.. Or it used to be anyway.

Here is where I disagree strongly with many here. Saying it’s time for a change based on results is fine, making Coach Babers into some kind of grifter thats fleecing the University is wrong. Everyone that knows the coach knows that’s not who he is, having a bad run of games does not mean you have no character. I’ll stand by that .
I'm in the "results stink, need a change" camp. No one rational is questioning that Dino got an extension and stopped working. I would find that hard to believe.

it's a results oriented business for me.

Anyone care to summarize what's beyond the headline?

Basically, we have finite resources financially as a program and it's not an easy decision re Dino and how to appropriate the funds we do have.

With that said, the story made the AD and SU look like a joke. If this was leaked by the AD's office, it was a terrible leak because it makes it look like they should be evaluating JW as they evaluate Dino.

You can literally link this article to any coach we may want to have in our pool of candidates to tell them to go elsewhere. Heck, you can do it for the players as well.

This didn't just happen and it's been building for decades, but that article makes it seem like a really nice way of telling fans to get a life bc we're screwed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom