What must John Wildhack consider as he decides Dino Babers’ fate? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

What must John Wildhack consider as he decides Dino Babers’ fate?

It’s funny that many assume Syracuse is “hemming and hawing” about paying Dino’s buyout IF they decide to fire him this season.

Not a SINGLE source from Syracuse has said ANYTHING related to that.

Believe me, if Syracuse and ADJW want to fire Dino, they will have the means necessary.

Also, anyone who criticizes our spending on the new football facilities because we should have taken that money and used it for NIL or whatever, has not seen our athletic facilities. When you see it in person, you would be SHOOK. We need those facilities and what they are doing is basically bare minimum. The money after that will go to NIL etc.

I encourage you all to reach out, make a donation or ask for a tour of the facilities to determine if you should make a donation. If you saw what our players have, compared to other schools you would be astonished.

The bottom line is, it’s most likely Dino is fired. He has one year left on his contract after this season, you can’t extend him by any means and you can’t have him be a lame duck coach. Wildhack can not fire Dino until it’s mathematically impossible to make a bowl. If he does, it would look bad on him considering he had a press conference saying the goal was to play a 13th game.

Begrudgingly, I have to agree, you have to wait to fire Dino until he can’t go to a bowl game…

It’s funny that many assume Syracuse is “hemming and hawing” about paying Dino’s buyout IF they decide to fire him this season.

Believe me, if Syracuse and ADJW want to fire Dino, they will have the means necessary.

Also, anyone who criticizes our spending on the new football facilities because we should have taken that money and used it for NIL or whatever, has not seen our athletic facilities. When you see it in person, you would be SHOOK. We need those facilities and what they are doing is basically bare minimum. The money after that will go to NIL etc.

I encourage you all to reach out, make a donation or ask for a tour of the facilities to determine if you should make a donation. If you saw what our players have, compared to other schools you would be astonished.

The bottom line is, it’s most likely Dino is fired. He has one year left on his contract after this season, you can’t extend him by any means and you can’t have him be a lame duck coach. Wildhack can not fire Dino until it’s mathematically impossible to make a bowl. If he does, it would look bad on him considering he had a press conference saying the goal was to play a 13th game.

Begrudgingly, I have to agree, you have to wait to fire Dino until he can’t go to a bowl game…
They don't have the luxury of waiting until after. This is how ass backwards SUA is with their handling of facilities and NIL once the environment became legal. I talk to BoT members who are out of their depth when it comes to this area, and these are people who are involved with Athletics. Personally, I think the optics are horrible for SU if you go all in with NIL with a new coach after firing the coach that went public about what they need to compete.

Good post and thanks for the info! I have a sneaking gut feeling he’ll be let go after my first in-person game in years at Georgia Tech. Man I hope not. Haha.

Cincinnati is a master class on how to maintain a competitive program while churning through coaches.

I mean, just look at these results since 2007:

TWELVE 9+ win seasons in 17 years! Under four different head coaches.

And before I get the "BUT CINCINNATI IS IN OHIO" retort... yes, they are. And they were in their 52 years prior to 2007, when they won 9+ games exactly ZERO times.

Cincy invested in facilities, hired a smart coach, paid him to retain him until they couldn't anymore, and then found another smart coach. Over and over again.

Tuberville was by far their biggest mistake, and (a) he still won 9 games twice, and (b) he's a flaming dipsh!t. They also moved on from him quickly. One 7-6 year, followed by a 4-8 and he was gonzo (he "resigned" because he was gonna get canned). No hemming and hawing about "stability" or that nonsense. Just a quick realization that he wasn't it, and on they moved.

Be more Cincinnati.
They also played in the AAC for a good portion of that 17. They got a wake up call in the Big 12 and will be behind the 8 ball until they can adapt to P4 level football.

It would be funny if we ended up 5-7 and got one of those invites to a bowl because there isn't enough teams eligible. That would be on brand this year

They also played in the AAC for a good portion of that 17. They got a wake up call in the Big 12 and will be behind the 8 ball until they can adapt to P4 level football.
And they were 7-1 against us after joining the Big East so there’s that.

Very TBD who will be the top programs once Texas and OU leave. Dismissing Cincy is crazy. All can make their claims one way or another.

Won’t it look worse to fire after 6-6 vs after your 3rd straight blowout? No one would care what he implied (not said) prior. And wouldn’t 6-6 contradict that anyway?

If the door is closed there is no reason to wait. If the door is still open that is a bigger problem than Dino is.

Well they did start their turnaround in the Big East. The conference where SU sucked wind at the exact same time. Besides, you can only play the schedule you have. No one else in G5 has had their results.

Except for their last hire.
Perhaps. And I bet they move on hella quick if things don’t improve pronto.

Meaning, not 8 freaking years.

I mean, people are pushing back on saying Cincy is a program to emulate? Seriously?

I mean, people are pushing back on saying Cincy is a program to emulate? Seriously?
Well in the last 20 years they have been far closer to the playoff than we have ... we would kill for that success honestly.

I don't follow them but the second they join a good conference they turned into a bad version of us

I think getting pushed around by FSU and Clemson damages us more than they increase our strength of schedule

Last edited:
I don't follow them but the second they join a good conference they turned into a bad version of us

I think getting pushed around by FSU and Clemson damages us more than they increase our strength if schedule
No this has more to do with Fickel's departure ... you do realize they have win over #9 ND and lost by a FG to #6 UGA the two seasons prior ... who wouldn't sign up for that? Honestly? Just goes to show how bad Satterfield is ... he spent time tanking LVille ... now he can tank Cincy ... I mean look at what Brohm is doing with Satterfield's roster this season.

I think getting pushed around by FSU and Clemson damages us more than they increase our strength if schedule
Don't make me say we're in the wrong conference.

We have more money than Cincy, we have 1/8 the success

I still don't get why Cincy can survive, and flourish, making a small % of money versus Syracuse and yet Syracuse, fat dumb and rich, is struggling to make it through Octobers and Novembers since 2013

No this has more to do with Fickel's departure ... you do realize they have win over #9 ND and lost by a FG to #6 UGA the two seasons prior ... who wouldn't sign up for that? Honestly? Just goes to show how bad Satterfield is ... he spent time tanking LVille ... now he can tank Cincy ... I mean look at what Brohm is doing with Satterfield's roster this season.
Part of me wants everything to blow up so we can just be in the right football conference and the right basketball conference and not care how they overlap

What has all this acc money done to make things better for any of us?

Part of me wants everything to blow up so we can just be in the right football conference and the right basketball conference and not care how they overlap

What has all this acc money done to make things better for any of us?
We're going to get our wish around 2030. The q at that point will be if we can bifurcate our sports dept and put some of it back in the Big East and put the football machinery into a conference that makes sense.

I suspect we'll be happier in 2030 if that happens.

I think getting pushed around by FSU and Clemson damages us more than they increase our strength of schedule
One year, one coach. If that guy is still there 7 years from now and they’ve had 2 winning seasons, then I’ll agree.

Couldn't agree more on the facilities point. Take the tour. It'll change your mind. It did mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom