What players should have their jersey honored next? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What players should have their jersey honored next?

When I imagine being able to pick teams for a pickup game of all time Syracuse greats, GMac doesn't make the cut. He's barely in the discussion. Who would you pick him over? Whoever it is, my pickup team will beat you with the guy you picked GMac over.

I would take Dion Waiters over GMac, Sherm, Pearl, Moten and Stevie if we are building pickup teams and I need a backcourt.

Lou McCroskey

louie.gif

Jim Lee. Sadly, if you were playing before Jb was head coach, you get forgotten. Jim Lee hit one of the biggest shots in Syracuse hoop history. He was a terrific player for us.

Jim Lee. Sadly, if you were playing before Jb was head coach, you get forgotten. Jim Lee hit one of the biggest shots in Syracuse hoop history. He was a terrific player for us.
His brother Mike arguably had an even better SU career.

His brother Mike arguably had an even better SU career.
You could make that argument. But Jimmy helped carry us to the final four for the first time. And he is getting older.

Every time this comes up I wonder why Rudy Hackett's name never gets mentioned. He averaged 22 and 13 while leading SU to a final 4. Those numbers are better than Camelo's.

I'm not old enough to have seen him play. Is there some reason why he wasn't one of the first honored? Makes no sense to me.

Every time this comes up I wonder why Rudy Hackett's name never gets mentioned. He averaged 22 and 13 while leading SU to a final 4. Those numbers are better than Camelo's.

I'm not old enough to have seen him play. Is there some reason why he wasn't one of the first honored? Makes no sense to me.
Absolutely should be up there.

The next 3 no brainers in order should be: Wallace, Warrick, and GMac. Those 3 should 100% get theirs retired, and I’m going by the order that they graduated.

Now if there’s some older players before my time that deserve it, get them first.

If you’re going to do Stevie Thompson or Dave Johnson or Etan - awesome. I can see an argument either way.

But the first 3 I named clearly deserve it, and the sooner the better. Give people their flowers while they can smell them. Tomorrow is never promised, and on a lighter note - do it while a good amount of the crowd will have watched them play and can enjoy seeing someone they watched get honored, and give them the ovation they deserve too.

I actually would like to see Jim Lee and Rudy go in at the same time. I forgot he wasn't already done.

Pro career aside, he wasn't as good of a player in college.

Let's put his career numbers this way - do you think he's the 4th best scorer the program has had? I don't, and I don't think he's even close. Was he the third best creator on offense we've ever had? I don't, also not close to that ranking. It would be a joke to ask if being 3rd in steals means he's our 3rd best guard defender ever, so let's not even ask that. I think there is a very fair argument for GMac being our best ever at big moments, but does that and stat stuffing as a 4 year starter put him in the pantheon? I say no, because surrounding those big moments GMac had a lot of pedestrian and even bad, inefficient play. His floor is lower than the greats we've already recognized.

When I imagine being able to pick teams for a pickup game of all time Syracuse greats, GMac doesn't make the cut. He's barely in the discussion. Who would you pick him over? Whoever it is, my pickup team will beat you with the guy you picked GMac over.

GMac has the good-very good player from day 1 for 4 years that Moten had. And his role in our only national title, plus the insane senior year Big East title run cements him IMO.

Last edited:
I would take Dion Waiters over GMac, Sherm, Pearl, Moten and Stevie if we are building pickup teams and I need a backcourt.

I don’t disagree though to this point Sherman had the better NBA career too(obviously he had the better college career). As good as Dion was last year, I don’t think he’s topped Sherman’s best seasons or his longevity in being a solid player.

GMac has the good-very good player from day 1 for 4 years that Moten had. And his role in our only national title, plus the insane senior year Bog East title run cements him IMO.
Moten > GMac

Here is where it lands for me - look at the guys we've honored. Put them on any team, with anybody, and that team is going to scare people. Those guys were always great.

Then look at GMac. Put him on a team with anybody, and... meh. GMac's legacy more than anybody benefitted from who his teammates were. His game in isolation doesn't stand on its own like the others.

He came up in big moments. He wasn't transcendent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom