What players should have their jersey honored next? | Syracusefan.com

What players should have their jersey honored next?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Most of the 1980’s players who are worthy are up.
Moten brings a 90s player up there.
Melo is the lone 00s player.

Player Uniform #
Rony Seikaly #4
Vic Hanson #8
Carmelo Anthony #15
Billy Gabor #17
Wilmeth Sidat-Singh #19
Sherm Douglas #20
Lawrence Moten #21
Dave Bing #22
Dennis DuVal #22
Billy Owens #30
Pearl Washington #31
Derrick Coleman #44
Roosevelt Bouie #50
Louis Orr #55

Who should be next in the future?
John Wallace? Hakim Warrick? GMac?

It seems pretty clear to me:

John Wallace--2,119 points (3rd), 1,065 rebounds (3rd)
Stevie Thompson--1,956 points (7th)
Erich Santifer--1,845 points (11th)
Rafael Addison--1,876 points (10th)

Gmac as well. But some of these older players should come first...

Hands down...Rony

seikly.gif

Erich Santifer--1,845 points (11th)
Rafael Addison--1,876 points (10th)

I'm iffy on those guys, because then do you have to start including players like Shumpert and CJ Fair and Kris Joseph?

I'm iffy on those guys, because then do you have to start including players like Shumpert and CJ Fair and Kris Joseph?

I think Raf deserves it for sure. When his career ended, he was our second all time leading scorer.

JW then either GMAC or Hak. JW came first. JW brought us to the promised land. JW still comes around.

Hak was more accomplished than GMAC, but GMAC was and still is the people's choice.

Adrian Autry, Kueth Duany, and Marius Janulis. Kristof in a couple of years. Just to round out a starting five, throw Luke Jackson in there.

Nope.

Not on the same level.

4th all time in scoring, 3rd all time in assists, 3rd all time in steals, 1st all time in three pointers. More iconic moments than any player by far. And he was lights-out in the biggest game in program history.

I acknowledge he wasn't nearly as talented as many other players, hence the lack of a pro career.

4th all time in scoring, 3rd all time in assists, 3rd all time in steals, 1st all time in three pointers. More iconic moments than any player by far. And he was lights-out in the biggest game in program history.

I acknowledge he wasn't nearly as talented as many other players, hence the lack of a pro career.
Pro career aside, he wasn't as good of a player in college.

Let's put his career numbers this way - do you think he's the 4th best scorer the program has had? I don't, and I don't think he's even close. Was he the third best creator on offense we've ever had? I don't, also not close to that ranking. It would be a joke to ask if being 3rd in steals means he's our 3rd best guard defender ever, so let's not even ask that. I think there is a very fair argument for GMac being our best ever at big moments, but does that and stat stuffing as a 4 year starter put him in the pantheon? I say no, because surrounding those big moments GMac had a lot of pedestrian and even bad, inefficient play. His floor is lower than the greats we've already recognized.

When I imagine being able to pick teams for a pickup game of all time Syracuse greats, GMac doesn't make the cut. He's barely in the discussion. Who would you pick him over? Whoever it is, my pickup team will beat you with the guy you picked GMac over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom