WHAT SCARES ME THE MOST ABOUT NEXT YEAR | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

WHAT SCARES ME THE MOST ABOUT NEXT YEAR

Agree Roberson is a tough piece to fit. He needs work defensively and he doesn't really fit as a sf, but I think hes going to make a jump he has a really laid back growing personality, but next year hes the senior.

JB in recent years has done his best work with seniors, they mature a little more then juniors sophmores recently. Almost has that pro league feel to it. Cooney, Gbinije, Rak, and Fair have all been examples of that, and while cooney is really slumping (he looks injured late in the season) there is no question he hit more of a pro mentality the first 2/3rds. Lydon has a shot to grow into a absolute Beast, but I wouldn't expect anything less then Roberson growing into a pro mentality next year, which will drastically change his game.

Don't sleep on Howard he could show some isolation game next year, and will have a better system then gbinije has to work with if Malachi returns, as well as getting alittle quicker and stronger. But hes going to need two shooters on the perimeter to help him out.

Really going to miss Gbinije what a player!

Last edited:
I see this. Would be SHOCKED if Howard gets more on ball minutes than Battle

Battle/Howard
Mali/Battle
Lydon/Moyer
Roberson/Lydon/Moyer
Chukwu/?

I see Roberson getting limited minutes unless he really wows and progresses in practices in the early fall.

You guys should spend some more time on the football side of things. 15 years of hoping it gets better with marginal talent and weak coaching.

Bringing in 4-5* talent and HoF coaching, a 35 year history of mostly being good? Next year will be like the last 30. Mostly good, maybe great - with a 5% chance of implosion. And it's been worth the price of admission so long that it's hard to imagine it being hopeless.

So - nothing scares me about next year. We'll be fine.

I presume Joseph is certain to transfer. Any Juco point guards or graduate transfers out there for next year?

Who is this Joseph guy you are referring to?

Oh yeah, he's the guy on the left. He looks pretty happy to me. Of course, this was taken way back in November.
image.jpeg

I see this. Would be SHOCKED if Howard gets more on ball minutes than Battle

Battle/Howard
Mali/Battle
Lydon/Moyer
Roberson/Lydon/Moyer
Chukwu/?

I see Roberson getting limited minutes unless he really wows and progresses in practices in the early fall.
That's how I see it But go ahead and put in Coleman. 8 man rotation with a lot of options

If we're not good next year with two guys projected to get drafted 1st Round in the starting lineup, a 7'3 shot blocker and a highly touted incoming guard in Tyus Battle then I think we need to look at more than the players as to why we're having down consecutive years.

Hard to envision too many minutes where Howard, Roberson and Chukwu are all on the court at the same time. That team would be extremely easy to defend.

I think any combination with Mal/Lydon will be exactly like that, unless Battle is ready to be a major contributor right away. There are too many limited offensive options currently in the program with not a ton of reinforcements on the way. We really, really, really need Mal and Lydon to be stars next year, or hope that Howard/Roberson and the incoming frosh are better offensively than expected.

Who is this Joseph guy you are referring to?

Oh yeah, he's the guy on the left. He looks pretty happy to me. Of course, this was taken way back in November. View attachment 57124
i can't speak to joseph's mind but honestly why on earth would you return to play for a coach who basically sat you all season long even though he was razor thin at guard ? my transfer papers would have been signed sealed and delivered.

i can't speak to joseph's mind but honestly why on earth would you return to play for a coach who basically sat you all season long even though he was razor thin at guard ? my transfer papers would have been signed sealed and delivered.

I can't say why, but I think he stays and takes on some weird role. It's weird there is no news on the kid - the most recent mention was from some article in February in the Daily Orange...he's truly MIA.

What in god's name that role could be I have no idea, and I have no idea where those minutes may come from. Okay, maybe he transfers.

PC is a shot blocker. he changes the zone. I don't care if he scores a pt next year. He can alter or block the just inside foul line shot while still being back. the difference for us with him over Coleman is striking. you are way under valuing what a 7-2 shot blocker does for our zone. He is 6 inches taller than Coleman , who to make matters even worse, can't jump. If he doesn't play a min of 25 minutes a game next year, I will be very surprised. Big upgrade.

Yep. Fab Melo as a soph changed everything. SU instantly became #1 in the nation, pretty much. Not saying they'll quite do that next year, but if PC can lateral better than Coleman on defense (zone fails completely when 1 component fails), and can pass out to perimeter on offense fairly well (we've totally been without this), then look out.

Let's just hope PC has more respect for automotive turn indicator apparatii than Fab did...

What scares me is that we could have only 7 or 8 scholarship players on the roster with 3 of them being centers.

HRE Otto IV said:
What scares me is that we could have only 7 or 8 scholarship players on the roster with 3 of them being centers.

And if one of the guards turns an ankle, we'll only have 2 guards (assuming KJ transfers).

And if one of the guards turns an ankle, we'll only have 2 guards (assuming KJ transfers).

Yes, if Joseph transfers, I sure hope they have been talking to seniors with remaining eligibility at PG. I see this as critical. And if we don't get Thompson, we need to do likewise or get a JUCO for the 4/5.

We need people who can score...i.e basketball players not wind up wound up robots. Too many dogs in the dog house lately. And that zone in my 80 year old opinion makes the games unwatchable or as watchable as a girls bball game circa 1950. Coyle will surprise us very soon.

PC better be a monster defensively, because unless he can be a dive man on the PnR, he's going to clog the middle on offense for guys like FH and Battle.

Also, with our offense, Mal and Lydon are basically going to have to play the whole game since there are no other outside threats.

I'm not nearly as bullish as some others are for next year. I really wish we had a shooter coming off the bench for the second unit (and I use that term loosely).

Your reasoning, please.

Malachi shouldn't leave but what if he made up his mind before the season already started? Kids do that.

Roberson shouldn't leave but there seems to be a disconnect. He could go pro or transfer.

Can you blame Joseph for leaving?

Even if all three come back, we have only 10 kids next year of which only 8 will contribute with 5 being underclassmen. That still isn't enough depth.

Malachi shouldn't leave but what if he made up his mind before the season already started? Kids do that.

Roberson shouldn't leave but there seems to be a disconnect. He could go pro or transfer.

Can you blame Joseph for leaving?

Even if all three come back, we have only 10 kids next year of which only 8 will contribute with 5 being underclassmen. That still isn't enough depth.
Lots of "ifs". There might as likely be positive roster ifs as negative ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom