What some haven’t been waiting for. LOL. | Syracusefan.com

What some haven’t been waiting for. LOL.

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
PFF blocking grades.

Without going into a lot of detail the pass blocking overall as an OL graded higher than the run blocking.

Run blocking rank (starters only)

Bleich
Bradford
Reed
Wohlabaugh
Cruz

Pass blocking

Bradford
Bleich
Wohlabaugh
Cruz
Reed

I think the pass blocking was helped by play design a ton.. Time will tell.

Run blocking also heard to decipher when you run the guard trap stuff for Bleich its a pretty hard thing to not block well given the angles.

Until we can power rush who knows.

Anyone care to take a shot at explaining to this neophyte exactly how those grades are established?

At a high level, a player starts with a grade of 60 which is considered average. Then an analyst watches every play of that player and adds or subtracts 1 or 2 points to the grade for each play or adds/deletes nothing for the play. A senior analyst then reviews the output.

PFF blocking grades.

Without going into a lot of detail the pass blocking overall as an OL graded higher than the run blocking.

Bleich
Bradford
Reed
Wohlabaugh
Cruz

Pass blocking

Bradford
Bleich
Wohlabaugh
Cruz
Reed

Thanks rrlbees. Love this. How did they grade out in terms of an overall quality grade or even against the rest of the ACC?

Are the grades we got put us above average score?

A few other tidbits.

Our highest graded overall offensive player was Shrader.

Our highest graded overall defensive player was Clark.

Our highest graded WR for blocking was Hatcher which I noticed a few times during the game making great blocks.

Our highest graded DB in coverage was Wilson.

Can you post the actual scores? Also might as well create a PFF thread for every game.

Thanks rrlbees. Love this. How did they grade out in terms of an overall quality grade or even against the rest of the ACC?

Are the grades we got put us above average score?

Keeping in mind we played Colgate, offensively we graded 32nd in the country and 3rd in the ACC. Defensively we graded 6th in the country and 1st in the ACC. Overall we were 17th in the country and 2nd in the ACC. Wake was ahead of us.

Keeping in mind we played Colgate, offensively we graded 32nd in the country and 3rd in the ACC. Defensively we graded 6th in the country and 1st in the ACC. Overall we were 17th in the country and 2nd in the ACC. Wake was ahead of us.

Awesome. Thank you.

Thank you, Bees!

OL has some work to do.

BUT -- one starter was a scratch, another was making his first D1 start.

Coaches now have film to go over with OL. Might take a couple of games to gel, but not bad for a patchwork unit in game 1.

PFF blocking grades.

Bleich
Bradford
Reed
Wohlabaugh
Cruz

Pass blocking

Bradford
Bleich
Wohlabaugh
Cruz
Reed
If you replaced Bradford with Cruz, these ratings would be very much expected.

Kudos to Bradford for playing well. Looks like Enrique has work to do.

I appreciate all of this, but isn’t week 1 kinda like a zero context, initial guess? It will all get better as the weeks and competitions give us more data?

I appreciate all of this, but isn’t week 1 kinda like a zero context, initial guess? It will all get better as the weeks and competitions give us more data?

No. It’s not a guess as they grade each player every play for that game.

Do they take points of for penalties? Bleich is already in mid season form.

They don’t take points away from the blocking grades but they do from the overall offensive grade.

No. It’s not a guess as they grade each player every play for that game.
But how do they know the strength of the opponent? Isn’t that one of the criteria? Or is it just how well they execute, regardless of the quality of the opponent?

But how do they know the strength of the opponent? Isn’t that one of the criteria? Or is it just how well they execute, regardless of the quality of the opponent?

I honestly don’t know how they take into account the opponent but I don’t think they do.

PFF blocking grades.

Bleich
Bradford
Reed
Wohlabaugh
Cruz

Pass blocking

Bradford
Bleich
Wohlabaugh
Cruz
Reed
I'll try to find the tweet but someone did the math and there is just no way they have enough people to watch all these games to turn around a syracuse colgate game that fast. how many people do they have doing this stuff? this is a scam.

I'll try to find the tweet but someone did the math and there is just no way they have enough people to watch all these games to turn around a syracuse colgate game that fast. how many people do they have doing this stuff? this is a scam.

100’s. And they do a lot more than just grades. Every NFL team subscribes to their premium package.

Assuming they are using tech to do most of the work like the they do for NFL and Soccer. Thus it's likely analysts are reviewing the analytics that are created but not all the gameplay. Thus it's probably flawed to an extent but would be objective enough given its all collected the same. There is no way it's mostly done through a person watching games- qc of the data or a sampling sure. Events are noted by data points much like any other data collection tool.

Does anyone know how many analysts they have? I suspect they have a few for each game. I see 650 employees on LinkedIn alone. Most are part timers or freelancers. Bet a bunch aren’t on there so you easily could have 500-1000 analysts per week. They don’t have to pay much to get dudes to watch college football games for a job.