What to expect from Orange's 3 freshmen (Syracuse basketball player forecasts) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What to expect from Orange's 3 freshmen (Syracuse basketball player forecasts)

True, but if you are a great high jumper, you definitely have hops.
Sure. That doesn't mean Southerland couldn't jump as well or at least nearly as well as Braswell.

The dome crowd "rocks" when we block a shot (as I do). If Braswell can have some blocks like the video then he will be a fan favourite.

Braswell Senior Year Hudl highlights.

What is the level of competition braswell faced? These highlights are very impressive. He needs so muscle obviously though

All these guys played in the EYBL. The best competition in the country.
Obviously not on the same level coming out of highschool, but if that’s the case Braswell’s highlights remind me a lot of Chris McCulloughs and impress me a bit more than Southerlands did. I am not saying he is a blue chip top 20 prospect we’ve dug up. Im saying at the moment he appears to have considerable skill and needs some added weight and adjustment to the college speed level to reach what looks like a very high ceiling

Obviously not on the same level coming out of highschool, but if that’s the case Braswell’s highlights remind me a lot of Chris McCulloughs and impress me a bit more than Southerlands did. I am not saying he is a blue chip top 20 prospect we’ve dug up. Im saying at the moment he appears to have considerable skill and needs some added weight and adjustment to the college speed level to reach what looks like a very high ceiling
He is a natural shooter pure easy stroke. He shows good vision and passing skills. Can jump out of the gym. The one weakness is possibly his handle as his highlights are all catch and shoot. Great get by the staff.

Hopefully we will see a big leap physically for Washington but he might not even see the court. Nothing against HW but he is the 4th guard in a three guard rotation. Same with Buddy. Maybe I am wrong, but I can't see Buddy getting many minutes either. When Oshae sits, I wouldn't be surprised to see Battle, Howard and Carey on the floor at the same time. Hopefully Battle will show that he can play the wing on defense.

Buddy is probably our best pure three point shooter. He will see the floor when teams zone us.

Mookie Jones says HI - yet again.

Posters saying that over and over does NOT make it true.
Mookie was a career 40% from 3 - how much playing time did he ever find? :rolleyes:

He also had Southerland and Kris Joseph playing the same position, and I think they were all in the same class. If Mookie had gone to someplace like Providence, he would have absolutely killed it.

Hopefully we will see a big leap physically for Washington but he might not even see the court. Nothing against HW but he is the 4th guard in a three guard rotation. Same with Buddy. Maybe I am wrong, but I can't see Buddy getting many minutes either. When Oshae sits, I wouldn't be surprised to see Battle, Howard and Carey on the floor at the same time. Hopefully Battle will show that he can play the wing on defense.

I think it comes down to defense. If you are hurting the zone, you won't see the floor. Washington has a good portion of a year under his belt, and I thought before he got hurt that he moved well in the zone. His rotations were good and he contested shots pretty well. If Carey can't do that, it will hurt his playing time.

Sounds similar to BJ, doesn't it?

Buddy is probably our best pure three point shooter. He will see the floor when teams zone us.

Who really knows until be laces them up at this level. But, my strong sense is Buddy will the best pure shooter on the team and it won't be close. The question will be how well he can play on D at this level.

If this team attacks the rim as much as think it will (even more so than last season), Buddy will have an opportunity to see the floor. Teams will have to shade him, which will help space the floor and take one guy away from doubling in the lane.

come on..this dude is a state high jump champion. If southerland was as athletic as this kid, he didnt show it in games. compared to you and I Southerland was an insane athlete. im comparing him to D1 athletes.

I'm late to this party, but you're correct that Southerland was not an above average jumper. His max vert at the combine was 32 inches. Respectable, but not noteworthy. Like others, I remembers him as a good jumper, though. I think he was just quick off the floor more than anything, and his length made it look like he got higher on dunks than he actually did.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is a natural shooter pure easy stroke. He shows good vision and passing skills. Can jump out of the gym. The one weakness is possibly his handle as his highlights are all catch and shoot. Great get by the staff.

I dont get it. if he's a natural shooter and crazy athletic leaper, thats generally all you need to be ranked very high in high school..like top 50...

Anyone know when Braswell and Jalen are arriving at Cuse to work out? Anxious to put all the family together! Let’s go!

From the video, Braswell seems to have really good timing on his blocks. Not all state high jump champions are going to have that. Looks like we're getting a real basketball player, excited about this one!

I dont get it. if he's a natural shooter and crazy athletic leaper, thats generally all you need to be ranked very high in high school..like top 50...
His mom was in the Navy and they moved around. So he wasn't rated as highly as his skillset would suggest. Kudos to the staff for getting a prospect like Bras so late in the cycle. How long he'll take to add strength and develop is a question. But the upside is there.

Last edited:
I'm late to this party, but you're correct that Southerland was not an above average jumper. His max vert at the combine was 32 inches. Respectable, but not noteworthy. Like others, I remembers him as a good jumper, though. I think he was just quick off the floor, more than anything, and his length made it look like he got higher on dunks than he actually did.

You're correct. Southerland averaged nearly 1 block a game for his career, despite never playing as much as 30 minutes a game in any of his four seasons.

He's really skinny and he was a late bloomer. Taurean Thompson wasn't ranked any higher than the 80s or so, but he was clearly a much better talent than that.

I'm late to this party, but you're correct that Southerland was not an above average jumper. His max vert at the combine was 32 inches. Respectable, but not noteworthy. Like others, I remembers him as a good jumper, though. I think he was just quick off the floor, more than anything, and his length made it look like he got higher on dunks than he actually did.
Yeah...if I remember correctly he used to put on a good show during pregame layup lines. He could get up, but his length was deceiving. I think the biggest difference could be in their abilities to handle the ball. I hope RB is at least an adequate ball handler. I used to cringe and close my eyes anytime dirty had to dribble more than a couple times!