What to expect if Babers is the guy. | Syracusefan.com

What to expect if Babers is the guy.

Crusty

Living Legend
Hang on to your seats sports fans, if we land Dino Babers, Syracuse football will get very exciting. Dino Babers would bring the Baylor offense to Carrier Dome and Syracuse football might never be the same again. If there is a better offense for the dome, I can’t imagine what it would be.

The mirror image of Scott Frost’s Oregon offense, Dino’s offense is a pass first game with a 55-45 pass-run ratio. A wide open offense run from an extra wide spread formation, it features a no huddle, up tempo pace, running 85 plays per game. BG averages 8.9 yards per pass attempt and 4.6 yards per rush for an average of 6.7 yards per play (10th versue FBS opponents). They average .5 punts per score - tied for the lowest in the nation against FBS teams. (SU is 83rd with 1.2 punts per score.)

Bowling Green will call a lot of inside run plays together with with quick outside passes to soften you up for passes over the top, which they do often.

A hallmark of the Briles/Babers offense is to split receivers past the numbers, spreading the defense as wide as possible. This forces the defense to man coverage leaving corners on an island. The plan is for receivers to win their one on one matchups.

Having the defense spread out so far makes it difficult to disguise coverages even when it is not man. Everything opens up in the box for the running game as well.

bgsu-1.jpg

The lineman splits are also quite wide. This opens up the running and passing lanes, especially for short and over the middle passes, typical of West Coast patterns.
BG2.PNG

About 70% of the Bowling Green offense is the Art Briles Baylor playbook and the rest has been modified for the Midwest weather integrating more heavy running and more time under center. Look for him to shift back to more Baylor style when playing in the Dino Dome!

“We want balance. We want to run the football,” Babers said. “We don’t want to throw it every snap. But we’re going to take what the defense gives us. We’re not going to be hard-headed about it.”[1]

Transition
When he took over at Bowling green, Babers told the team that by midway of the second season they would be rolling. He was true to his word. In his first season, scoring dropped from 34 ppg to 30 and then jumped to 44.2 in the second season. The Falcons are currently ranked 3rd nationally in yards per game with 566 and first in passing with 388 ypg. (Rankings include only games between 2 FBS teams.)

If the dome renovation forces us to play all home games in other venues, this transition time frame could occur during what might be a lost season anyway.

Coaching Career
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino_Babers

Babers (54) has spent over 30 years coaching football under some of the best offensive minds in game including Art Briles, Mike Martz, June Jones and Homer Smith. In 2008 his offensive thinking shifted when he began working for Art Briles at Baylor. Babers believes that Briles’ approach is the best he has seen because of its aggressive approach.

After 3 years at Baylor as an assistant to Briles for wide receivers, special teams, and recruiting coordinator, Babers applied for a few head coaching jobs and came in second place each time. After consulting with Briles, he decided to make a big bet on himself and take a 50% pay cut to become HC at Eastern Illinois. After two season and a 19-7 record, Babers landed the top job at Bowling Green where he has compiled a 17-9 record.

Recruiting
Babers was recruiting coordinator at Baylor, and as a HC his teams have recruited heavily in Florida and PA.

Dino Babers knows quarterbacks, and how to win with them

Staff
While it is uncertain what Babers would do with a larger staff budget, he has several staff members that have been with him since Eastern Illinois or even at Baylor.

Kim McCloud Assistant Head Coach (Wide Receivers)
Brian Ward Defensive Coordinator (Linebackers)
Mike Lynch Co-Offensive Coordinator (Offensive Line/Running Backs)
Sean Lewis Co-Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
Tom Kaufman Assistant Football Coach (Special Teams/Defensive Line)
Nick Monroe Assistant Football Coach (Secondary)
Mike Mickens Assistant Football Coach (Cornerbacks)
Tom Freeman Assistant Football Coach (Assistant Offensive Line/Tight Ends)
Andrew Sowder Assistant Football Coach (Outside Receivers)
Roy Wittke Recruiting Coordinator

Articles
http://www.si.com/college-football/...-babers-bowling-green-falcons-spring-practice
http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2014/...e-fastest-releases-ive-seen-since-dan-marino/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bers-matt-johnson-art-briles-baylor/75923344/
http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/baylor-effect-spread-energizes-bowling-green-tulsa

[1] http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bers-matt-johnson-art-briles-baylor/75923344/

Last edited:
Babers has the #2 overall offense in college football, and the #1 QB for passing yards this season.

Babers has the #2 overall offense in college football, and the #1 QB for passing yards this season.
Yes, my rankings are for games between FBS teams only.
Pretty neat stuff eh?!!

Please make this happen.

Any chance he views the dome as an opportunity to showcase his offense?

Please make this happen.

Any chance he views the dome as an opportunity to showcase his offense?
Based on a few things he has said about modifying the offense for winter conditions, I think he would love to play in the dome. I think he would junk a lot of the under center stuff and we would look even more like Baylor.

Yes, my rankings are for games between FBS teams only.
Pretty neat stuff eh?!!
Oh i know..i wasnt disagreeing with you..just having an orgasm looking at the stats.

Well done Crusty as usual.

One more fun fact, Babers has taken "punt" from his playbook. We're going for it, every time from anywhere.

Yes. I do think Montgomery is a younger version and I would not mind if he turned out to be the guy.

Reactions: 007
Trying not to get too excited, but having a hard time with that. Another couple of days to speculate before we know for sure one way or the other.

Oh i know..i wasnt disagreeing with you..just having an orgasm looking at the stats.
I know. I was just adding to your point for those who did not read the whole OP. I just don't know how we can pass up this guy.

Yeah any rumors of a mystery candidate make me bummed out. I don't think you can do better for syracuse at this time in our history.

C'mon. New dome + new modern offense?

One more fun fact, Babers has taken "punt" from his playbook. We're going for it, every time from anywhere.

What?!? Max Suter or Riley Dixon types need not apply? Outrageous, I tell you, outrageous!!!!

PS: Mucho appreciation for the info, Crusty.

I know. I was just adding to your point for those who did not read the whole OP. I just don't know how we can pass up this guy.
Couldn't agree more. At first i was questioning that he could recruit to the level needed, but his numbers prove he can make offense happen regardless. Imagine him here with ACC recruiting capabilities?

This is awesome! Someone (I believe Millhouse) posted on a different thread that he is 25th in 4 down attempts and that it would be higher but the offense has fewer 4th downs than most teams. Does anyone know where he falls in percentage of times he goes for it on 4th? I'm hoping Dino's recruiting experience in Florida and Ohio, the chance to play in the ACC, and his penchant for going for it will help us bring in even more talent.

One more fun fact, Babers has removed "punt" from his playbook. We're going for it, every time from anywhere.
It makes sense. You don't see "interception" or "fumble" in the playbook usually.

To me, the greatest unanswered question will be:

How will Millhouse and OttoinGrotto roll if they get the exact offense they've wanted all these years? Literally the war against the meatheads will be over. Do they return victorious only to wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweats mumbling something about "punts" and "dome is an advantage"? Do they start skirmishes with the new "we need more defense" posters just to keep sharp?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom