What to expect if Babers is the guy. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What to expect if Babers is the guy.

TheCusian said:
To me, the greatest unanswered question will be: How will Millhouse and OttoinGrotto roll if they get the exact offense they've wanted all these years? Literally the war against the meatheads will be over. Do they return victorious only to wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweats mumbling something about "punts" and "dome is an advantage"? Do they start skirmishes with the new "we need more defense" posters just to keep sharp?

Come on, there will always be at least one game a season where we wouldn't score 40 and roll up 500 yards which will prompt the inevitable "Seeeeee, offense first doesn't work!!!!!" posts.

This is an endless war.

Come on, there will always be at least one game a season where we wouldn't score 40 and roll up 500 yards which will prompt the inevitable "Seeeeee, offense first doesn't work!!!!!" posts.

This is an endless war.

I'm more concerned with you guys getting what you want and it not working out. Going to be like finding out Santa Claus doesn't exist but multiplied by about 10. :D

To me, the greatest unanswered question will be:

How will Millhouse and OttoinGrotto roll if they get the exact offense they've wanted all these years? Literally the war against the meatheads will be over. Do they return victorious only to wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweats mumbling something about "punts" and "dome is an advantage"? Do they start skirmishes with the new "we need more defense" posters just to keep sharp?
I can't even let my mind go there yet.

View attachment 54196

The idea of hiring Babers turns me into John Boehner. Please Coyle just get it done. Please.
It is going to make you resign?

Seriously, Babers would be a good hire. But be prepared - Word here in TN among guys who follow SEC recruiting and job searches closely is that Babers may emerge as a favorite to be offered the Missouri job.

I'm more concerned with you guys getting what you want and it not working out. Going to be like finding out Santa Claus doesn't exist but multiplied by about 10. :D
If it fails, I figure we get at least one try of all chips in offense to balance things out. Not worried.

Hang on to your seats sports fans, if we land Dino Babers, Syracuse football will get very exciting. Dino Babers would bring the Baylor offense to Carrier Dome and Syracuse football might never be the same again. If there is a better offense for the dome, I can’t imagine what it would be.

The mirror image of Scott Frost’s Oregon offense, Dino’s offense is a pass first game with a 55-45 pass-run ratio. A wide open offense run from an extra wide spread formation, it features a no huddle, up tempo pace, running 85 plays per game. BG averages 8.9 yards per pass attempt and 4.6 yards per rush for an average of 6.7 yards per play (10th versue FBS opponents). They average .5 punts per score - tied for the lowest in the nation against FBS teams. (SU is 83rd with 1.2 punts per score.)

Bowling Green will call a lot of inside run plays together with with quick outside passes to soften you up for passes over the top, which they do often.

A hallmark of the Briles/Babers offense is to split receivers past the numbers, spreading the defense as wide as possible. This forces the defense to man coverage leaving corners on an island. The plan is for receivers to win their one on one matchups.

Having the defense spread out so far makes it difficult to disguise coverages even when it is not man. Everything opens up in the box for the running game as well.

View attachment 54190

The lineman splits are also quite wide. This opens up the running and passing lanes, especially for short and over the middle passes, typical of West Coast patterns.
View attachment 54192

About 70% of the Bowling Green offense is the Art Briles Baylor playbook and the rest has been modified for the Midwest weather integrating more heavy running and more time under center. Look for him to shift back to more Baylor style when playing in the Dino Dome!

“We want balance. We want to run the football,” Babers said. “We don’t want to throw it every snap. But we’re going to take what the defense gives us. We’re not going to be hard-headed about it.”[1]

Transition
When he took over at Bowling green, Babers told the team that by midway of the second season they would be rolling. He was true to his word. In his first season, scoring dropped from 34 ppg to 30 and then jumped to 44.2 in the second season. The Falcons are currently ranked 3rd nationally in yards per game with 566 and first in passing with 388 ypg. (Rankings include only games between 2 FBS teams.)

If the dome renovation forces us to play all home games in other venues, this transition time frame could occur during what might be a lost season anyway.

Coaching Career
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino_Babers

Babers (54) has spent over 30 years coaching football under some of the best offensive minds in game including Art Briles, Mike Martz, June Jones and Homer Smith. In 2008 his offensive thinking shifted when he began working for Art Briles at Baylor. Babers believes that Briles’ approach is the best he has seen because of its aggressive approach.

After 3 years at Baylor as an assistant to Briles for wide receivers, special teams, and recruiting coordinator, Babers applied for a few head coaching jobs and came in second place each time. After consulting with Briles, he decided to make a big bet on himself and take a 50% pay cut to become HC at Eastern Illinois. After two season and a 19-7 record, Babers landed the top job at Bowling Green where he has compiled a 17-9 record.

Recruiting
Babers was recruiting coordinator at Baylor, and as a HC his teams have recruited heavily in Florida and PA.

Dino Babers knows quarterbacks, and how to win with them

Staff
While it is uncertain what Babers would do with a larger staff budget, he has several staff members that have been with him since Eastern Illinois or even at Baylor.

Kim McCloud Assistant Head Coach (Wide Receivers)
Brian Ward Defensive Coordinator (Linebackers)
Mike Lynch Co-Offensive Coordinator (Offensive Line/Running Backs)
Sean Lewis Co-Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
Tom Kaufman Assistant Football Coach (Special Teams/Defensive Line)
Nick Monroe Assistant Football Coach (Secondary)
Mike Mickens Assistant Football Coach (Cornerbacks)
Tom Freeman Assistant Football Coach (Assistant Offensive Line/Tight Ends)
Andrew Sowder Assistant Football Coach (Outside Receivers)
Roy Wittke Recruiting Coordinator

Articles
http://www.si.com/college-football/...-babers-bowling-green-falcons-spring-practice
http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2014/...e-fastest-releases-ive-seen-since-dan-marino/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bers-matt-johnson-art-briles-baylor/75923344/
http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/baylor-effect-spread-energizes-bowling-green-tulsa

[1] http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bers-matt-johnson-art-briles-baylor/75923344/
Great post! Thank you for putting the time and effort into this research. After reading all of this i truly hope that we land this guy. Thanks

How does this extra-wide spread offense effectively use less than 4-star talent? Is it the shorter passes or timing plays? What type of QB works best in this? Dungey seems pretty accurate, but is prone to running instead of looking for the open man.

edited to add: great post. lots of good info.

Should he become our coach, I would be excited with the type of offense he would bring and implement. Obviously his offenses improve...however I am also curious about the defenses and special teams he has coached...How have they done?

635787550977653630273730233_1d3.png

Should he become our coach, I would be excited with the type of offense he would bring and implement. Obviously his offenses improve...however I am also curious about the defenses and special teams he has coached...How have they done?

Funny, my first thought was special teams...so i looked up Tom Kaufman and came away fairly impressed. I'd still want to retain some/at least 1 SU alum connections on the staff - promoting a Steve Gregory would do the trick.

Tom Kaufman

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/coaches.aspx?rc=737&path=football

On special teams, Kaufman’s units were among the most impressive in the MAC. Punt returner Ryan Burbrink was named first team All-MAC at the position, while placekicker Tyler Tate was named to the third team. Tate set the school record for field goals made in a single season at BGSU in 2014. In addition, punter Joe Davidson set the school record for punt attempts and punting yardage, while kick returner Clint Stephens set a school record for longest kick return with his 96 yard touchdown return against Ball State.

During his time at EIU, Kaufman’s linebackers were routinely a major factor on one of the best defenses at forcing turnovers in the country. In 2013, linebacker Robert Haynes was named All-OVC under the guidance of Kaufman.

On special teams, EIU had one of the best units in the country. The Panthers finished 2013 with the No. 1 punt return unit, averaging 20.0 yards per return. Eastern Illinois also blocked two kicks and had four special teams' touchdowns. Kaufman's kickoff coverage unit finished as the third-best in the country.

Seriously, Babers would be a good hire. But be prepared - Word here in TN among guys who follow SEC recruiting and job searches closely is that Babers may emerge as a favorite to be offered the Missouri job.
Mizzou is the one possible roadblock left-Have heard his name mentione dthere (among others). Would love to hear a Barry Odom Mizzou HC announcent. Sonny Dykes would work,too.

How does this extra-wide spread offense effectively use less than 4-star talent? Is it the shorter passes or timing plays? What type of QB works best in this? Dungey seems pretty accurate, but is prone to running instead of looking for the open man.

edited to add: great post. lots of good info.

There has not been an offense devised that would not do better with better athletes!
Babers and Montgomery have done quite well without 4 star talent. Besides, if we run this system in the dome I think our recruiting of skill players, especially WRs will dramatically improve. BG gets a lot of their from Florida just like we have started to do.

Short passes and the quick game are both used. Babers wants a QB that can pass - particularly accurate long. While Dungey is a great runner, he is also a very good long passer. Austn Wilson will get a second look also I think. I think it is safe to say that would be recruiting more pro style passers than dual threat.

Now, now boys lets all settle down some. First Dino is a great choice since we are not going to get Fleck, my first choice. That said I really like the guy and want him on board. I love his videos, the way he communicates, his energy and honesty. I think he would be a great fit to continue some of the very positive things HCSS had started furthering the character, integrity and hopefully academics of our young men.
I also like his system a great deal but we will have to be patient. We don't even have enough wide outs to play this system, at that pace as it stands presently. Our running backs are perfect in Fredericks and Strickland in this system and with Moe Neal (assume he would love this system) coming this will help. It will be a young offensive line that can help as they will learn together.
The ACC and its defenses will also dictate what we can do as this will be a different athlete on that side of the ball than Dino has been used to in the past. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it can't be done, but only that making mismatches is a tougher challenge in the ACC than the MAC or even the Big12 for that matter. With that said I do recognize his wins against both Purdue and Maryland this year and though they are not good teams they show the system can work against FBS schools.
Lastly, I believe he is coming and commend both HCDB and Coyle for sticking with his team and respecting his decision to do so, respectively in the MAC Championship game. I look forward to watching Bowling Green and what I think is our next head coach Friday night. I hope the announcement is Saturday with Assistance Coaches announced in the week after to aid in the last 8 days of recruiting in this cycle.
There's lots of work to do, a good young stable of returning athletes and with the right coaching staff to join Dino on the field and in recruiting this could be a step forward for this program.
Here's to hoping I'm not crying in a corner come Saturday or Sunday morning. :bat:

It's Dino time! ;)

Babers was a ST coach at Baylor and he pays attention to it. As for defense, I am not so sure he worries a lot about it! That will change.

ok, I'm going to try to step away from the board for a few days. This guy is too perfect and I'm getting too excited, so I don't want to be on here when the news comes through that it's not going to work out.

Tressman is the new hot name at Mizzou.

Hang on to your seats sports fans, if we land Dino Babers, Syracuse football will get very exciting. Dino Babers would bring the Baylor offense to Carrier Dome and Syracuse football might never be the same again. If there is a better offense for the dome, I can’t imagine what it would be.

The mirror image of Scott Frost’s Oregon offense, Dino’s offense is a pass first game with a 55-45 pass-run ratio. A wide open offense run from an extra wide spread formation, it features a no huddle, up tempo pace, running 85 plays per game. BG averages 8.9 yards per pass attempt and 4.6 yards per rush for an average of 6.7 yards per play (10th versue FBS opponents). They average .5 punts per score - tied for the lowest in the nation against FBS teams. (SU is 83rd with 1.2 punts per score.)

Bowling Green will call a lot of inside run plays together with with quick outside passes to soften you up for passes over the top, which they do often.

A hallmark of the Briles/Babers offense is to split receivers past the numbers, spreading the defense as wide as possible. This forces the defense to man coverage leaving corners on an island. The plan is for receivers to win their one on one matchups.

Having the defense spread out so far makes it difficult to disguise coverages even when it is not man. Everything opens up in the box for the running game as well.

View attachment 54190

The lineman splits are also quite wide. This opens up the running and passing lanes, especially for short and over the middle passes, typical of West Coast patterns.
View attachment 54192

About 70% of the Bowling Green offense is the Art Briles Baylor playbook and the rest has been modified for the Midwest weather integrating more heavy running and more time under center. Look for him to shift back to more Baylor style when playing in the Dino Dome!

“We want balance. We want to run the football,” Babers said. “We don’t want to throw it every snap. But we’re going to take what the defense gives us. We’re not going to be hard-headed about it.”[1]

Transition
When he took over at Bowling green, Babers told the team that by midway of the second season they would be rolling. He was true to his word. In his first season, scoring dropped from 34 ppg to 30 and then jumped to 44.2 in the second season. The Falcons are currently ranked 3rd nationally in yards per game with 566 and first in passing with 388 ypg. (Rankings include only games between 2 FBS teams.)

If the dome renovation forces us to play all home games in other venues, this transition time frame could occur during what might be a lost season anyway.

Coaching Career
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dino_Babers

Babers (54) has spent over 30 years coaching football under some of the best offensive minds in game including Art Briles, Mike Martz, June Jones and Homer Smith. In 2008 his offensive thinking shifted when he began working for Art Briles at Baylor. Babers believes that Briles’ approach is the best he has seen because of its aggressive approach.

After 3 years at Baylor as an assistant to Briles for wide receivers, special teams, and recruiting coordinator, Babers applied for a few head coaching jobs and came in second place each time. After consulting with Briles, he decided to make a big bet on himself and take a 50% pay cut to become HC at Eastern Illinois. After two season and a 19-7 record, Babers landed the top job at Bowling Green where he has compiled a 17-9 record.

Recruiting
Babers was recruiting coordinator at Baylor, and as a HC his teams have recruited heavily in Florida and PA.

Dino Babers knows quarterbacks, and how to win with them

Staff
While it is uncertain what Babers would do with a larger staff budget, he has several staff members that have been with him since Eastern Illinois or even at Baylor.

Kim McCloud Assistant Head Coach (Wide Receivers)
Brian Ward Defensive Coordinator (Linebackers)
Mike Lynch Co-Offensive Coordinator (Offensive Line/Running Backs)
Sean Lewis Co-Offensive Coordinator (Quarterbacks)
Tom Kaufman Assistant Football Coach (Special Teams/Defensive Line)
Nick Monroe Assistant Football Coach (Secondary)
Mike Mickens Assistant Football Coach (Cornerbacks)
Tom Freeman Assistant Football Coach (Assistant Offensive Line/Tight Ends)
Andrew Sowder Assistant Football Coach (Outside Receivers)
Roy Wittke Recruiting Coordinator

Articles
http://www.si.com/college-football/...-babers-bowling-green-falcons-spring-practice
http://da.radio.cbssports.com/2014/...e-fastest-releases-ive-seen-since-dan-marino/
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bers-matt-johnson-art-briles-baylor/75923344/
http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/baylor-effect-spread-energizes-bowling-green-tulsa

[1] http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...bers-matt-johnson-art-briles-baylor/75923344/
Mr. Burns and Chief Whigham like this. And Homer too

He doesn't exist????

I'm going to make a bold prediction that probably isn't actually that bold: if Babers is the guy, then before too long (depending on Dungey's health), Lindsey Scott will be our starting QB. Babers is proving this year he can put up monster numbers with an undersized QB, and Scott is both a tremendous athlete and a kid who just makes plays with his feet and his arm. By the way, he was just named the Louisiana Gatorade Player of the Year, for anyone who doesn't visit the recruiting board. If the kid was 6-4, he'd be going to LSU. Instead, he's 5-11, and he fell into our laps and has publicly said he's staying firm to SU. He's also a kid with a 3.77 GPA.

It is better to have tried and failed and then to have not tried and failed. However I get your point.
Dino Babers brings hope and like Shawhank Redemption taught us Hope is a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom