What to expect this offseason to finish the class | Syracusefan.com

What to expect this offseason to finish the class

RF2044

Living Legend
DB and the staff have put in some WORK since the first signing day! Several impact transfers, and several quality commits.

We also "restocked" special teams, with a PWO long snapper, punter, and kicker.

Now that we're hovering around ~75 scholarship players that will be active this spring [and ~80 overall, including players who won't arrive until summer], what should we expect from this point forward?

My prediction is that they pocket the remaining scholarships until after spring practice. Why? Because I believe that there will be another wave of mass exodus once players see how things shape up on the current teams' depth charts.

In terms of how they might use those scholarships, I'd have to believe that it is going to be something like:
  1. OL - C or RT
  2. WR - in addition to Hayes, who transferred from MSU
  3. TE - to bolster limited depth behind Mang / Mahar

DB and the staff have put in some WORK since the first signing day! Several impact transfers, and several quality commits.

Now that we're hovering around ~75 scholarship players that will be active this spring [and ~80 overall, including players who won't arrive until summer], what should we expect from this point forward?

My prediction is that they pocket the remaining scholarships until after spring practice. Why? Because I believe that there will be another wave of mass exodus once players see how things shape up on the current teams' depth charts.

In terms of how they might use those scholarships, I'd have to believe that it is going to be something like:
  1. OL - C or RT
Sounds like they might look for an experienced DT in the portal if they can find the right fit.

I really hope you are both right. I agree that OL, DT and TE should be our primary focus. The only other reason we take any other positions would be that they are impact players such as Elijah Clark. If we can get a few more from the portal, I am going to get really excited for 2022 Syracuse Football.

Pretty acute need at TE with Benson transferring. I had hoped Anae/Beck would create some recruiting juice with their success at this position. There are still opportunities but the window's narrowing.

1. OL - C or RT
Mass exodus from who? Other teams. Syracuse?

I don't believe that there will be a mass exodus from Syracuse. I think that most of the kids that were going to leave have already portaled out. And why wait to pick up transfers. The kids that will be entering the portal after Spring Practices probably are the kids that aren't going to get playing time at the school they are at now. I'd rather pick up some of the grad transfers with a few years of eligibility that are in the portal now.

If it were up to me, the #1 and #2 priority is to bring in 1 or 2 transfer DL. That's the only critical position, where we are light on numbers. Maybe a little light on TE, but you don't need a TE on the field like you need DL.

If it were up to me, the #1 and #2 priority is to bring in 1 or 2 transfer DL. That's the only critical position, where we are light on numbers. Maybe a little light on TE, but you don't need a TE on the field like you need DL.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of DL guys out there if any. And there are definitely no frontline DLine players. I’ll reiterate the need to look at the JUCO ranks as I’m sure they are. Losing Curtis Harper was a bigger deal than people made it out to be.

Probably be more apt to see us add a contributing TE.

Don’t know the status of these guys but it’s a list I put together.

DT Myles Tapusoa (Arizona) 6-3 325 3 star from Salt Lake City, UT
DT Chris Murray (TCU) 6-3 240 3 star from Wichita Falls, TX
DT Andy Boykin (Arkansas) 6-4 290 3 star from Lagrange, GA
DT Sincere David (Ole Miss) 6-3 300 3 star from Jacksonville, FL
DT Corey Suttle (Iowa State) 6-4 245 3 star from Jefferson City, MO
DT Jaquon Griffin (Georgia Tech) 6-0 276 3 star from Rome, GA
DT Gary Smith (Duke) 6-2 310 mid 3 star from Shelbyville, TN
DT Almosse Titi (Maryland) 6-3 310 3 star from Tampa, FL
DT Solomon Wright (Arkansas) 6-0 270 3 star from Vian, OK
DT Darel Middleton (Tennessee) 6-7 305 3 star from Oak Ridge, TN

Last edited:

I don't believe that there will be a mass exodus from Syracuse. I think that most of the kids that were going to leave have already portaled out. And why wait to pick up transfers. The kids that will be entering the portal after Spring Practices probably are the kids that aren't going to get playing time at the school they are at now. I'd rather pick up some of the grad transfers with a few years of eligibility that are in the portal now.

No, I'm talking about in the aggregate of the college football landscape. My expectation is that after spring practice, there's going to be lots of players sprinkled across many teams who are displeased, and looking for a change. So I expect a huge influx of portal transfers at that point

No, I'm talking about in the aggregate of the college football landscape. My expectation is that after spring practice, there's going to be lots of players sprinkled across many teams who are displeased, and looking for a change. So I expect a huge influx of portal transfers at that point

THIS.

Guys who thought they earned/deserved the 1, ending up as 2's.
Guys who thought they'd break the 2-deep, who had too much depth/comp in front of them to do so.
Guys who went thru a coaching change, and also maybe one or both of the above happens to them.

Any number or reasons why there might be another large uptick in the portal then.

And I also agree:
DT (or maybe even 2), C or OT, TE - and maybe a stud WR, should one become available - should be our shopping list.

Whoever they add at this point, Babers, Wildhack, et al. have checked a lot of boxes this off-season. I'm optimistic with the coaching additions, partly because of the commitment shown by SU to the program. That bodes well for basketball and the transition to come. I'm also impressed by the individuals coming in as players: not including fall additions, we've added one or more of a QB, RB, WR, K, DB, S, DL, etc. and apparently potential starters. We lost players to the portal but got a lot back as well. We'll see if it translates to more wins and a bowl game, but on the face it looks like our program managers are doing a lot of good things. Kudos...

Depends on what school they are bummed about being a back up at.

I’ll take a 2nd string Auburn player at a position of need for example

Starting to wonder if we aren’t going to pursue a TE and it will come from somewhere else on the roster.

Derek McDonald Would be the only other option I Can think of. But I still like his potential on defense as well. Still think he needs to add 10 more pounds to get a serious share of snaps at DE. That weight would help him at either position though. That’s assuming DE is the plan on defense for him moving forward as his snaps in 2021 were as a back-up LB I believe.

Derek McDonald Would be the only other option I Can think of. But I still like his potential on defense as well. Still think he needs to add 10 more pounds to get a serious share of snaps at DE. That weight would help him at either position though. That’s assuming DE is the plan on defense for him moving forward as his snaps in 2021 were as a back-up LB I believe.
I’m thinking QB depth chart.

I’m thinking QB depth chart.
It's a creative idea, but ... is that what it's come down to? Okay, maybe we have a 'rap' for horribly underutilizing the position. But that's in the past. Anae's here now ... an OC who's built his success, in part, on maximizing TE numbers. And yet, crickets. Really hard to comprehend ... unless there's a dearth of TE's this cycle or something is cooking we don't know about.

Last edited:
It's a creative idea, but ... seems a little desperate. Yes in the past we horribly underutilized the position. But Anae's here - a guy with a stellar record for maximizing TE numbers. And yet, it's been crickets on the TE market. Really hard to comprehend ... unless there's something cooking we don't know about.
It's the Dead Period, until March 1, with new coaches settling into a new job and move to a new city. Besides the coaches have been pretty quiet about bringing in transfers for visits in general. Y'all are probably going to have to relax until March 1st.

I think we have enough to work with in the QB room. Let’s see what the new coaches can do with these guys. I’m optimistic that we will have a productive starter and capable depth.

It's a creative idea, but ... is that what it's come down to? Okay, maybe we have a 'rap' for horribly underutilizing the position. But that's in the past. Anae's here now ... an OC who's built his success, in part, on maximizing TE numbers. And yet, crickets. Really hard to comprehend ... unless there's a dearth of TE's this cycle or something is cooking we don't know about.
Well I look at it this way, between Villari and Shrader, whichever one isn’t starting, that’s an awfully athletic player just sitting on the bench. 6’4 230 and 6’4 235. That’s basically receiving TE size already.

Shrader is an athletic freak in the open field and Villari’s high school film looks the same.