Whatever happens... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Whatever happens...

See, I think you are being too callous. After every loss guys start criticing everything and everybody and hyperbole abounds. Parents, recruits and families read this board. Why not just say we need better receivers and forget the hyperbole for their sake.
It's a recruiting philosophy that doesn't make any sense. What are we doing with all these gadget backs/WRs? I don't see a plan. Fredericks/Strickland are the backs of the future. What exactly is the plan. We have one WR who is ACC level, a couple depth guys and a handful of gadget players that are roaming Swiss Army knives but not being taught to excel at anything.

They're not going anywhere unless the new coach doesn't want them.

People need to get this concept out of their head. It's not some magical system where they can play right away. Their best choice is to stay here and no matter how much they say in public they support Shafer, they know.

It's a recruiting philosophy that doesn't make any sense. What are we doing with all these gadget backs/WRs? I don't see a plan. Fredericks/Strickland are the backs of the future. What exactly is the plan. We have one WR who is ACC level, a couple depth guys and a handful of gadget players that are roaming Swiss Army knives but not being taught to excel at anything.
Those gadget backs are showing up everywhere. Having players that can run and catch is on every coach's wish list.

Lester has a plan even if you can't grasp it. Besides, WR don't grow on trees and generally prefer to go to schools that play spread or the SEC. The guy has played 7 games with his system and other people's recruits and freshman.
A little perspective goes a long way.

Those gadget backs are showing up everywhere. Having players that can run and catch is on every coach's wish list.

Lester has a plan even if you can't grasp it. Besides, WR don't grow on trees and generally prefer to go to schools that play spread or the SEC. The guy has played 7 games with his system and other people's recruits and freshman.
So let's just wait another few years to see if it works?

Other teams have wide receivers. That's just not true.

Other teams have gadget backs with legit backs and WRs. That's when they flourish as they are a luxury. We can't have Dungey throwing the ball to 5'9 guys all game.

Crusty said:
Those gadget backs are showing up everywhere. Having players that can run and catch is on every coach's wish list. Lester has a plan even if you can't grasp it. Besides, WR don't grow on trees and generally prefer to go to schools that play spread or the SEC. The guy has played 7 games with his system and other people's recruits and freshman. A little perspective goes a long way.
So play spread. Handoffs to Wr running backwards is stupid dIII garbage

So let's just wait another few years to see if it works?

Other teams have wide receivers. That's just not true.

Other teams have gadget backs with legit backs and WRs. That's when they flourish as they are a luxury. We can't have Dungey throwing the ball to 5'9 guys all game.
Do you think they haven't been trying to recruit WRs?
Go ahead and blow it up every three years and we will never build anything.
All I know is fans that take that approach usually have no idea of how complex these changes are and how wrong they can go. If we suck next year I won't be defending anybody, but until then I think it is shortsighted.

Brisly has
Do you think they haven't been trying to recruit WRs?
Go ahead and blow it up every three years and we will never build anything.
All I know is fans that take that approach usually have no idea of how complex these changes are and how wrong they can go. If we suck next year I won't be defending anybody, but until then I think it is shortsighted.
Why defend anybody this year when it's the third straight year of diminishing returns? Different excuses each year, some justified most not so much.

That's cool, so do I, but we need more Ishmaels and less little gadget players. Just my opinion. FSU had about 4 Steve Ishmaels out there. Easy to look good if you're McGuire

Yes because SU has always been able to pull in multiple 5 star receivers and put them on the field at the same time.

We will never have as much talent as FSU...so there is no comparison.

Yes because SU has always been able to pull in multiple 5 star receivers and put them on the field at the same time.

We will never have as much talent as FSU...so there is no comparison.
Ish was a 3 star I believe.

Brisly has

Why defend anybody this year when it's the third straight year of diminishing returns? Different excuses each year, some justified most not so much.
First, it isn't even three years yet. Second, the entire defense has had to be rebuilt as well as the offense and that takes time.
There is a reason head coaching contracts are 5 years. Can you guess why?

First, it isn't even three years yet. Second, the entire defense has had to be rebuilt as well as the offense and that takes time.
There is a reason head coaching contracts are 5 years. Can you guess why?
SS has had the defense for seven years! Losing coaches also rarely finish out five years.

Crusty said:
See, I think you are being too callous. After every loss guys start criticing everything and everybody and hyperbole abounds. Parents, recruits and families read this board. Why not just say we need better receivers and forget the hyperbole for their sake.

Our own fans build up the hype on kids it's almost impossible to reach. That's why upperclassmen get crap and the next young hotshot is going to be a stud. Morris is a good example. People talked about him like he was an AA. They DEMANDED more run for him. Now he's just an impediment to getting Fredericks more carries.

In reality, Fredericks would probably be the 4th RB at FSU and ED would be the #3 QB at best. Love our guys but teams like FSU have so much more talent. We just think our guys are studs.

Last edited:
Our own fans build up the hype on kids it's almost impossible to reach. That's why upperclassmen get cheap and the next young hotshot is going to be a stud. Morris is a good example. People talked about him like he was an AA. They DEMANDED more to chew for him. Now he's just an impediment to getting Fredericks more carries.

In reality, Fredericks would probably be the 4th RB at FSU and ED would be the #3 QB at best. Love our guys but teams like FSU have so much more talent. We just think our guys are studs.
I just want to be as competitive as other s---bag Irrelevant ACC also rans

Our own fans build up the hype on kids it's almost impossible to reach. That's why upperclassmen get cheap and the next young hotshot is going to be a stud. Morris is a good example. People talked about him like he was an AA. They DEMANDED more to chew for him. Now he's just an impediment to getting Fredericks more carries.

We have to think our players are better than they really are. If we went in to each week knowing realistically that our players are not as good as 8 out of 12 teams they line up against and that our coach is the 2nd lowest paid HC in P5 football for a reason that would be pretty depressing- oh wait

To your last point, should we admit to the recruiting hurdles we'll likely always have and go to to a system/scheme offense like Johnson runs at GT? I've never liked the chop blocks but Navy and GT seem to punch above their weight pretty much every year.

You have 2 guys in Custis, and Enoicy who at least bring size, and could be used instead of Parris across the middle. But we have 2 guys like Cornelius, and Avant taking snaps, and are a complete disaster as backup WR's. When they are in the game, Eric has no-one to pass to, as shown by the combined 7 catches they have in 8 games. Just because people do well in the preseason, doesn't mean they can play at this level. We found that out last year with our QB's.

Losing Dungey would be an absolute disaster. For us, these guys come around once every 2 decades or so. I would hate to be 50, the next time we have a game changer on offense.
Oh come on. We might have a better guy in 2016. Dungey is good but he ain't mike Vick.

Our own fans build up the hype on kids it's almost impossible to reach. That's why upperclassmen get crap and the next young hotshot is going to be a stud. Morris is a good example. People talked about him like he was an AA. They DEMANDED more run for him. Now he's just an impediment to getting Fredericks more carries.

Totally 1000 percent agree.

Probably true, but that would be pretty good!

So no Mo Neal I assume?
Neal would be a great asset but you can't keep a coach worrying you'll lose a player. If a change needs to be made they have to do it. If not ride out shafer and welcome his players. You never know. Coyle may bring someone in that Neal likes and still wants to come.

That's cool, so do I, but we need more Ishmaels and less little gadget players. Just my opinion. FSU had about 4 Steve Ishmaels out there. Easy to look good if you're McGuire
FSU had 4 Ishmaels that could also run and create separation, and stiff arm our hapless db's and throw them around like children. Ish is a nice player but back in the glory days he would have been our 2nd option. Not sure how much he even plays on FSU...

Neal would be a great asset but you can't keep a coach worrying you'll lose a player. If a change needs to be made they have to do it. If not ride out shafer and welcome his players. You never know. Coyle may bring someone in that Neal likes and still wants to come.
Sigh, just sigh. I'm so sick of people quoting stuff out of context. No where did I stat we needed to keep HCSS because of Mo Neal. We where talking about types of players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom