Whats killing NCAAB? | Syracusefan.com

Whats killing NCAAB?

Rage4CUSE

2018-19 Iggy Hoops NCAA Tourney Record
For some time now I have continually heard about how the NBA requiring kids to go to 1 year of college is killing the game.

That rule stipulation may be hurting NCAAB, but it's not the only thing.

But I would like to pose a question:

Are kids just better at basketball at earlier ages in this time, then they were 20-30 years ago?

If that is true, its more the fact of evolution(in basketball) then the silly NBA 1 year stipulation.

I think the 1 year thing has to go. Let the kids go to the NBA right out of highschool and then do something like baseball does. If you opt for NCAA then you have to play at least 2 seasons or whatever before being able to declare for the draft. Then they should have a special combine where no one loses eligibility. It could combine High School grads and anyone who had completed at least their soph seasons in college and was an NBA prospect.

It would give the highschoolers an Idea of what they were up against, give the NBA a good look at everyone and give college teams much more stability.

One year thing for sure along with maybe the shot clock? The 30 second shot clock is better than 35 but there's no reason it shouldn't be 24 seconds.

The one and done thing has ruined the college game for me. I probably watched no more than four games all the way through last season -- all Syracuse games. The only pleasure I get these days out of NCAAB is an Orange win or a Kentucky/Duke/Kansas/Carolina loss.

The one and done thing has ruined the college game for me. I probably watched no more than four games all the way through last season -- all Syracuse games. The only pleasure I get these days out of NCAAB is an Orange win or a Kentucky/Duke/Kansas/Carolina loss.

I agree. One and done has really hurt CBB in my opinion. I watch every Orange game during the season. Sometimes I watch other CBB games just to see how teams look. But I totally agree on your loss list!

its gonna get worse before it gets better.

Izzo has maybe 10 years left.

Jay Wright a good 15.

but...

Bobby Knight is done.

so is Calhoun, Olson and Gary Williams.

soon, K, JB, Roy Williams and Pitino will be gone.

Donovan and Stevens went to the association.

I could go on...

when is the next collective bargaining agreement? that's the next best chance for some change to the OAD rule.

It will get better once the D-League is more competitive, which is on the NBA's agenda, but it won't happen overnight. When it does, the top kids in each class won't have to bother with a pit stop in college.

Until then, just have to deal with the fact that there will be high turnover. What could help would be to improve the officiating and adjust the rules slightly.

To your question, I think kids are better in some aspects of the game, but they are DEFINITELY bigger, faster and stronger. I do think the AAU circuit makes it very hard to get a cohesive team of players to buy in (outside of the superstar coaches) when guys are cycling in and out and have been playing a style of basketball that doesn't necessarily translate well to the college game.

Just my 0.02.

Why should the NBA care? The league is thriving, and contrary to the Barkley and Peyton's of the world, the play is excellent. OKC has some one and dones that seem to be doing ok. College hoops needs to look inward to solve their problem. I don't think the NBA cares. We as Cuse fans care.

The biggest issue for me has nothing to do with the on court play. It's the fact that players have become nothing more than mercenaries. It's hard to root for and against teams when they have completely new players every single year.

Early entry is killing college basketball, if they don't put a two or three year rule in place, its going to get worse.

Who's THEY...be specific...

AAU circuit, fading fundamentals and the NBA drafting kids for upside over ability.

Why should the NBA care? The league is thriving, and contrary to the Barkley and Peyton's of the world, the play is excellent. OKC has some one and dones that seem to be doing ok. College hoops needs to look inward to solve their problem. I don't think the NBA cares. We as Cuse fans care.

But what else has changed to incentivize NBA teams to draft on potential rather than production. Heck, it wasn;t that long ago (ok, maybe it was) when Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, Eddie Pinckney, Derrick Coleman, Rony Seikaly all stayed 4 years. Pear and Billy Owens were anomalies leaving after 3.

I think it's a combination of the formalization of the D-League - someplace to stash not ready for prime time players, the expansion of roster size in the NBA to 15 (13 plus 2 inactives), and the rookie salary scale all playing a part. I imagine things may evolve, but only if there is a recognized incentive for the NBA to change them.

I probably watched no more than four games all the way through last season -- all Syracuse games.

I don't mean this to be rude, but why hang out on a college basketball message board if it's not something you're interested in?

its gonna get worse before it gets better.

Izzo has maybe 10 years left.

Jay Wright a good 15.

but...

Bobby Knight is done.

so is Calhoun, Olson and Gary Williams.

soon, K, JB, Roy Williams and Pitino will be gone.

Donovan and Stevens went to the association.

I could go on...

Couldn't you make this same exact post about any sport at any time in history?

Minimum three years in college. Early Decision, if a draft position warrants it. If you don't want to go to college, go to China or Europe or whatever.

Three years improves the college game. Improves the NBA. Educates kids and prepares them for life, just like with any other person. That's what college is supposed to be about, first and foremost. I'm mixed on the topic of a stipend for college athletes, but if it were implemented, it would have to be for all athletes, not just the ones on the profit-generating teams, and not just for 'stars.' And, it would have to be minimal — not something that has them driving BMWs and living in luxury apartments. Student athletes should be integrated into the 'general population' as much as possible, including dorms.

If this were the system, no one loses. You can say that there have been successful players who jumped from high school, but so what. They would have been just as successful if they had gone to college. Re: the potential for injury — it's sports. There is that potential. The NCAA should insure them. Across the board. No recruiting advantages by having individual schools determining benefits. Isn't this close to the football system? Doesn't that work? Just because baseball is different doesn't mean basketball players should be entitled to follow suit. Baseball IS different.

But I would like to pose a question:

Are kids just better at basketball at earlier ages in this time, then they were 20-30 years ago?

Personally, I don't think the players are more skilled - they are just much more athletic. It used to be that players were recruited based on their developed skills plus career stats and competition not on the athletic potential based on "measurables" like jumping ability, wing span, reach, stride length etc with the hope to develop the needed basketball skills/IQ in the future. The only time in the "golden oldie" days recruiting based on potential seemed to be restricted for exceptionally tall guys because "you can't teach height".(JB taking the gamble with Rony Seikaly) I knew of kids who didn't make their high school basketball team because they couldn't dribble down the court using both hands around cones then make off hand layups. Now I see college players who can't use both hands to dribble, shoot, pass, etc. Today an NBA team would probably take a chance on a Rony Seikaly immediately or at least after a year, just based on his athleticism.

The advances in S&C training etc seems to have changed the emphasis. Many high school kids spend time in strength and conditioning facilities with other sport's athletes just to increase jump height, speed, reaction time, stride, strength etc, thus the "measurables" they think they can improve and control. Sport's facilities to develop pure general athleticism apart from basketball skills weren't really around back then.

I kinda think they are more skilled at an earlier age. Due to videos, camps, AAU circuits, the amount of media they can can consume online and on tv, etc. And that they probably specialize (one sport) at an earlier age than in the past. But, there's a plateau at some point, and maybe that 'equalization' comes in college, when the older generation was getting high-level training (college) for a longer period?

Kids are definitely more athletic now. Look at any gym now, and compare it to what was available in the 70s... The 'old man gym' had one of those rubber belt vibrating things, a wooden rack attached to the wall, and a set of dumbbells and barbells. Period.

None of this, though, makes actual gameplay better now. Personally, i kinda think there's a bit of nostalgic romanticism going on when thinking about the Olden Days. Heck, the way it's discussed now, Michael Jordan never missed a shot. The game was so physical, you could clothesline an opponent with a closed fist, or shank him in a loose ball scrum, and neither would even be whistled...

But what else has changed to incentivize NBA teams to draft on potential rather than production. Heck, it wasn;t that long ago (ok, maybe it was) when Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullin, Eddie Pinckney, Derrick Coleman, Rony Seikaly all stayed 4 years. Pear and Billy Owens were anomalies leaving after 3.

I think it's a combination of the formalization of the D-League - someplace to stash not ready for prime time players, the expansion of roster size in the NBA to 15 (13 plus 2 inactives), and the rookie salary scale all playing a part. I imagine things may evolve, but only if there is a recognized incentive for the NBA to change them.

Its night and day to what it used to be, guys who have no business leaving are leaving. Jordan and Shaq stayed three years, and I remember people were knocking Shaq for only staying three years. Now you have to pray for a guy to stay two.

I think the 1 year thing has to go. Let the kids go to the NBA right out of highschool and then do something like baseball does. If you opt for NCAA then you have to play at least 2 seasons or whatever before being able to declare for the draft. Then they should have a special combine where no one loses eligibility. It could combine High School grads and anyone who had completed at least their soph seasons in college and was an NBA prospect.

It would give the highschoolers an Idea of what they were up against, give the NBA a good look at everyone and give college teams much more stability.

Doesn't the baseball rule allow you to not sign after being drafted and go to school anyway? So if you are drafted out of high school you can make a decision with all of the definitive facts. Guess that would be toughfor the NBA with a 2 round draft.

Doesn't the baseball rule allow you to not sign after being drafted and go to school anyway? So if you are drafted out of high school you can make a decision with all of the definitive facts. Guess that would be toughfor the NBA with a 2 round draft.

Yes, you can get drafted, not sign, and go to school. It happens all the time. I believe Matt Harvey was drafted out of hs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom