What's so special about FSU and Clemson? | Syracusefan.com

What's so special about FSU and Clemson?

Eric15

Living Legend
I feel like the general board consensus is "OK, FSU and Clemson are going to be losses, let's hope to go 6-6 and get to a bowl." Which I understand, but honestly, what is so special about FSU and Clemson? They aren't the Patriots and Packers.

Troy went into Clemson and took them very deep into the 4th quarter. NC State just needed to make a 33 yard field goal to win at Clemson. Are Troy and NC State really that much better than us?

We just beat a team (VT) that destroyed a team (UNC) that beat FSU. I know, transitive property is illogical, but I'm rolling with it. Wake Forest (a team that the board has agreed we would have beat if the weather was good) just went into FSU and only lost 17-6.

Obviously we are going to be double digit underdogs in both games, but I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that we could compete here, especially against FSU at home.

If our defense plays like they did yesterday, we absolutely have a chance. The fact our offense exploded in the 4th quarter is a really big deal. If we could ever figure out the middle quarters, we'd be all set.

Clemson's WRs and TE are monsters and another level from what VT had. Not sure why that team seems stuck in neutral, but play like we did yesterday on defense, and we have a chance against anyone.

The continuous comparison to NFL teams is odd. Of course is this isn't the pros but in the pros the talent across the board is pretty close and comes down to QB play.
Syracuse is significantly undermanned at talent compared to FSU and Clemson.

We won yesterday and we played well but we were still play on a small margin for error. We aren't winning in Death Valley. Clemson has a Heisman level QB and outstanding WRs in Williams/Scott/Renfroe. Whenever VPI threw yesterday it was open. THat big WR #7 for VPI ate us up.

FSU has a Heisman RB in Dalvin Cook and a 5 star rFr qb.. We could score on them as their D is poor but they will likely outscore us.

I just want to be competitive like the ND game. Beat BC/NCSU/Pitt. Just get better against Clemson/FSU.

What is special about Clmeson/FSU is they have NFL talent across the board at every position and one time has a Junior elite QB and the other has a Freshman QB who is growing this year and look the next 2 years.

Clemson had 4 turnovers yesterday and that is why NC State had a chance and should have won. That stuff is completely unpredictable.

We aren't winning in Death Valley.

We have played Clemson very tough the past two years, and this is by far our best offense in that stretch. Let's just play the game and see what happens. You speak in too absolute of terms.

We have played Clemson very tough the past two years, and this is by far our best offense in that stretch. Let's just play the game and see what happens. You speak in too absolute of terms.
I speak in realism and not idealism. I want to beat Clemson but we aren't beating Clemson this year.

Any team with a good passing QB will shred us. We played well yesterday and the VPI QB was not good. Our D rattled him but we shut down his strength his legs but still made plays in their air which is his weakness. Watson will throw for over 400 yards on us if he plays 4 quarters. I am happy with th win but we need to play well against BC/NCSU/Pitt and get to 6 wins.
FSU/Clemson are just don't get anyone hurt and play respectable games.

f93c76303736d0ace43ec0892996cb214c5a81ccb436355d27952794eecca144.jpg

I speak in realism and not idealism. I want to beat Clemson but we aren't beating Clemson this year.

Any team with a good passing QB will shred us. We played well yesterday and the VPI QB was not good. Our D rattled him but we shut down his strength his legs but still made plays in their air which is his weakness. Watson will throw for over 400 yards on us if he plays 4 quarters. I am happy with th win but we need to play well against BC/NCSU/Pitt and get to 6 wins.
FSU/Clemson are just don't get anyone hurt and play respectable games.

My exact words were "I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that we could compete here." That's being idealistic? I think we can win at Clemson 1-2 out of 10 times, and at home against FSU 2-3 out of 10 times.

My exact words were "I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that we could compete here." That's being idealistic? I think we can win at Clemson 1-2 out of 10 times, and at home against FSU 2-3 out of 10 times.
I don't think we win 1 out of 10 times in Clemson with our current roster. ESPN FBI which breaks things down to a tee analytically has Clmeson as 98% to win that game. That is above 9 out of 10 times.
Florida State is a 96% favorite on the ROAD at Syracuse.

Our roster needs 2-3 years to be stocked to compete with these teams. NC State and Wake on our their 3rd years with new HCs and finally competed. We are atleast 1 year away.

Also when we played at Clemson last time they were without Watson and played Cole Stoute who isn't a top 10 NFL draft QB like Watson.

If we are within 2 TDs of either team Babers has done an outstanding job.

honestly passing wise the VT qb is as good or better than the FSU kid and equal to Watkins.

FSU has running backs which VT does not, VT has a better D scheme wise but FSU has more talent on both sides of the ball, but plays sloppy way too much and always have even back in the jimbo days. They just get away with it with the athletes.

Clemson has the best team, but as NC st showed they dont always bring their A game.

We can move the ball on them, we did on UL and VT, but we need to do it for a whole game and turn it into points.

It was pretty hard to go a whole half without punting and struggle to get anything to show for it yesterday.

honestly passing wise the VT qb is as good or better than the FSU kid and equal to Watkins.

FSU has running backs which VT does not, VT has a better D scheme wise but FSU has more talent on both sides of the ball, but plays sloppy way too much and always have even back in the jimbo days. They just get away with it with the athletes.

Clemson has the best team, but as NC st showed they dont always bring their A game.

We can move the ball on them, we did on UL and VT, but we need to do it for a whole game and turn it into points.

It was pretty hard to go a whole half without punting and struggle to get anything to show for it yesterday.
Francois .bigtime > Evans.

Evans has played well but he doesn't have the arm and accuracy that Francois has. Francois in a year or two will be a legit Heisman candidate and if develops as he has thus far will be another FSU Jameis Winston and top NFL draft pick.

The rest of what you say I would agree with. We will score some points and move the ball but we will not be close at the end. I expect both games to look like the Louisville game. 40's to 20's.

The FSU one ive been saying is for the taking now that they are out of any playoff/major bowl scenario. It's a front running operation that won't be enthused w dome game

"We have no shot" is not realism. It's pessimism.

No need to speak in absolutes either way - we know the odds.
We have no shot unless they absolutely play terrible and we force 4 plus turnovers. I don't see that happening. Of course its not 100% but its 96% and 98%.

I want to win these games but we aren't going too. I look the numbers and talent and see it isn't happening. I felt good about VPI because of the history but Clemson/Florida State are clearly way out of league right now.

There is nothing wrong with saying that either.

clemson has played 7 games. they were a play away from losing 4 of them. are shot is far from zero

clemson has played 7 games. they were a play away from losing 4 of them. are shot is far from zero
Clemson is going thru what FLorida State did in 2014, and Ohio State in 2015.

They aren't as hungry the year after a deep run to the NC game.

Clemson is going to beat us as long as Watson plays. They will likely beat us by more than 2 TDs. They have NFL bodies at DE/DT and they have 3 good WRs.

It doesn't matter Auburn, Louisville, NC State could have beaten them. Syracuse does't have the same horses those teams have. I mean people need to freaking stop with this. We are going to be over 2 TDs underdogs on the road at Clemson.
Just wanting a 4 quarter game is a lot to ask for with this team and people think we can win because other way more talented teams have been closer.

We have no shot unless they absolutely play terrible and we force 4 plus turnovers. I don't see that happening. Of course its not 100% but its 96% and 98%.

I want to win these games but we aren't going too. I look the numbers and talent and see it isn't happening. I felt good about VPI because of the history but Clemson/Florida State are clearly way out of league right now.

There is nothing wrong with saying that either.

Yeah - we are splitting hairs a bit. I think we largely agree.

My point is that if saying we have a shot is idealistic, what is saying we have no shot?

But no worries. Kumbaya meetings ;)

Clemson is going to beat us as long as Watson plays. They will likely beat us by more than 2 TDs. They have NFL bodies at DE/DT and they have 3 good WRs.

It doesn't matter Auburn, Louisville, NC State could have beaten them. Syracuse does't have the same horses those teams have. I mean people need to freaking stop with this. We are going to be over 2 TDs underdogs on the road at Clemson.
Just wanting a 4 quarter game is a lot to ask for with this team and people think we can win because other way more talented teams have been closer.

We deserve to be as clemson has won 20 straight home conference games . But we were 3 td underdogs yesterday and we see how it turned out. Underdog or not we can compete to some degree with everyone left on the schedule

we were 28 pt dogs last year with no QB and hung in that game. it can be done even if we are 20+ dogs again. we could also lose by 40.

NC state is not way more talented than us

if we can hold them to under 20 points in the first quarter i might watch the second half.

The question is whether the defense can stop the big plays and easy scores when the other guys have tall/fast/athletic receivers and if we can out some pressure on QBs. Vs ND and Louisville we couldn't do it. Everything looked soooo much better yesterday and we won. But fl state and Clemson gave way better 'skill players' than VT. But minus the big plays we have been in every single game this season. Fl state is possible. Not likely but possible. And we will score on them and make it exciting.

NC state is not way more talented than us
Which team has recruited 5 ESPN top 300 recruits the last 3 years and which team has had 0 top 300 recruits?
Which team had 4 players drafted in last years draft and which team had 1 which was their punter?
NC state has more talent than we do they just don't have Clemson/Florida state level talent.
We can beat NC state but not Clemson/FSU this year.

Which team has recruited 5 ESPN top 300 recruits the last 3 years and which team has had 0 top 300 recruits?
Which team had 4 players drafted in last years draft and which team had 1 which was their punter?
NC state has more talent than we do they just don't have Clemson/Florida state level talent.
We can beat NC state but not Clemson/FSU this year.

The irony of your posts in this thread are astounding.

You specifically instructed the board to "get on the Babers train or shut the hell up!" So here I am, taking your advice, and I'm feeling optimistic about our chances to compete with some high quality teams since we looked great against Virginia Tech. But then you do a 180 and definitively declare that we will not beat Clemson or FSU.

Which is it, man? Did you jump off your own train?

The irony of your posts in this thread are astounding.

You specifically instructed the board to "get on the Babers train or shut the hell up!" So here I am, taking your advice, and I'm feeling optimistic about our chances to compete with some high quality teams since we looked great against Virginia Tech. But then you do a 180 and definitively declare that we will not beat Clemson or FSU.

Which is it, man? Did you jump off your own train?
Lol you think me saying we can't beat FSU/Clemson this year means I am off the Dino train?

Um no I am just being a realist. We could lose the rest of the games this year and I would want Dino getting an extension and raise.

Dino deserves time. This year he is severely outgunned and I am being realistic in seeing how superior FSU/Clemson are right now.