What's this say about the team identity? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's this say about the team identity?

SoBristol said:
Needed to replenish the defense. Lost a lot to graduation. I don't get the reasoning of some here that the 2015 defense will be good just because the 2014 defense was good. It does not work that way when you lose 8 starters. Shafer took the long view with this class. A different head coach might have looked to JUCOs for a RB, WR, OT, QB, or DB to fill some obvious holes -- trying to win in 2015.

Because that was the wrap last year - everyone said our D would be much worse. Then it was back to being very good.

D staff has earned that respect.

That's the hope.
Yep, but in the interim you have to employ the style that gives you the best chance to win now. Quite frankly, if that means 4 yards and a cloud of dust...so be it. It's all about moving the chains and capitalizing in the red zone.

I don't think any offense shoots for mediocrity. There is a moment when you realize what you're good at - and to some - that can look like you're not taking chances.

I dunno. Whatever last year was - I don't want to see more of it.

I don't think any offense shoots for mediocrity. There is a moment when you realize what you're good at - and to some - that can look like you're not taking chances.
That's all true, but Shafer admitted last season he prefers to see his defense on the field.

Uh... uh oh.

OttoinGrotto said:
That's all true, but Shafer admitted last season he prefers to see his defense on the field. Uh... uh oh.

I would have too. 116 vs 27.

Because that was the wrap last year - everyone said our D would be much worse. Then it was back to being very good.

I am fine with the D staff, but not with your logic. Losing 8 starters is a lot different from losing only 2.

I agree, but if you don't have the players(particularly at QB) to pull this system off, then why force a square peg into a round hole. Offensive three-and-outs eventually wear down your own defense, especially with multiple incomplete passes. Bottom line...you have to move the chains.
I completely agree with you. We have to do whatever it takes to wins games today.

But over time I think we have a built in advantage that every 6'3" receiver with great speed should see us as one of the best places to showcase his abilities, same with really fast running backs with great hands. We should be able to transform into the greatest show on turf *over time* if that is our strategy which I obviously think it should be.

Think about how the all the young 6'6" - 6'9" forwards with great wing spans and great athleticism look at JB's program. We don't get them all, but I think we have a reputation that if you fit that mold, this a place where your talents will be highlighted over time. That didn't happen overnight and the greatest show on turf won't happen overnight, but I think **if that is built into your medium/long term strategy**, the fruits will be evident slowly over time.

Either way I think the most important part is consistency which is why I am in the camp to give HCSS a long rope to see what he can build here. I think he has shown us enough in all the other aspects (defense, recruiting, being a great ambassador etc), we would ever want from a coach to see if he can get his offense where I am sure he would like it.

Last edited:
SoBristol said:
I am fine with the D staff, but not with your logic. Losing 8 starters is a lot different from losing only 2.

Since Shafer has been here, our defense has been good no matter the attrition.

Since Shafer has been here, our defense has been good no matter the attrition.
Truth.

You could also argue that since recruiting has gotten better each year, he theoretically has better players to work with this year than ever before; its just that you haven't seen them yet :)

Great class but the fact we didn't take a wr is mind-boggling. We didn't take many two years ago and half the wrs we brought in last year aren't with the program. I hope the staff has something up their sleeves because I'm very worried about the long term prospects of the position.

I think Enoicy and Custis are unknowns as to how they fit in this. They have the height, maybe they play more as TE's now? That size and length down the seam and in the redzone could be dangerous.

Same goes for Josh Parris. I'm bullish on him. Think he has a nice year.

I completely agree with you. We have to do whatever it takes to wins games today.

But over time I think we have a built in advantage that every 6'3" receiver with great speed should see us as one of the best places to showcase his abilities, same with really fast running backs with great hands. We should be able to transform into the greatest show on turf *over time* if that is our strategy which I obviously think it should be.

Think about how the all the young 6'6" - 6'9" forwards with great wing spans and great athleticism look at JB's program. We don't get them all, but I think we have a reputation that if you fit that mold, this a place where your talents will be highlighted over time. That didn't happen overnight and the greatest show on turf won't happen overnight, but I think **if that is built into your medium/long term strategy**, the fruits will be evident slowly over time.

Either way I think the most important part is consistency which is why I am in the camp to give HCSS a long rope to see what he can build here. I think he has shown us enough in all the other aspects (defense, recruiting, being a great ambassador etc), we would ever want from a coach to see if he can get his offense where I am sure he would like it.
Custis & Enoicy are both 6' 5". Just sayin'...

Exactly. I havent been worried about a SU defense since before Shafers first year as DC. After I saw his D that year, I knew he knew what he was doing. It's been proven time and time again.
I don't think it gets any worse now that we have superior athletes.

Great class but the fact we didn't take a wr is mind-boggling. We didn't take many two years ago and half the wrs we brought in last year aren't with the program. I hope the staff has something up their sleeves because I'm very worried about the long term prospects of the position.

I feel like one or both of Enoicy and Custis is now a WR in the new offense.

I feel like one or both of Enoicy and Custis is now a WR in the new offense.

I think they both have to be, we don't have the numbers otherwise. I think it would have made a lot of sense to bring in one true WR this year and redshirt him. Now ur forcing ur self to go all out in next year's class and as 2014 showed, that doesn't always end up well. Enoicy redshirting and erv moving to the slot will help but I'm still concerned about the lack of depth particularly young depth

I think they both have to be, we don't have the numbers otherwise. I think it would have made a lot of sense to bring in one true WR this year and redshirt him. Now ur forcing ur self to go all out in next year's class and as 2014 showed, that doesn't always end up well. Enoicy redshirting and erv moving to the slot will help but I'm still concerned about the lack of depth particularly young depth

Broyld, Estime, Ish, Philips, Avant, Lewis, Cornelius, Enoicy, Custis.
It's not as dire as people keep acting.
I'm sure the staff plans on bringing in 2-3 wideouts next year. Not a big problem.

Eh, it's good that it ends up being a better percentage play than I thought. I just hope our aspirations are higher than "let's have a good offense and get by with mediocre offense."

I'm not expecting the damage cool kid inflicted to be undone overnight.

So of us have better sense of where to put our trust than others.

Last edited:
Broyld, Estime, Ish, Philips, Avant, Lewis, Cornelius, Enoicy, Custis.
It's not as dire as people keep acting.
I'm sure the staff plans on bringing in 2-3 wideouts next year. Not a big problem.

Other than Ish, who has done anything to show they are ready to be #1 and #2 WR's? Even Ish, despite some amazing catches has shown talent but not every game, every quarter ability. I think he will but I also thought the same of lots of things last year.

I'm not expecting the damage cool kid inflicted to be undone overnight.

So of us have better sense of where to put our trust than others.
I can tell you're pretty proud of yourself with that one. I like how McDonald wasn't so hot over a season and a half and that inflicted "damage" on the program, while Hackett was given two years of low performance so he could "help build the program."

Look, I'm hoping Lester works out. But you're lying if you looked at McDonald's and Lester's resumes side by side with the names removed and said Lester was the smart play. McDonald was exactly the right gamble to make, but it didn't work out. There is zero reason on paper to believe Lester's going to get this right - Cool Kid had some pedigree at least. We're left with nothing more than our trust in Shafer that Lester is going to do the job. Realistically, he may have the weakest OC resume in P5.

So if you want to talk about the great wisdom some have knowing "where to put their trust," yeah, I will 100% own up to my feeling that Shafer's performance as a head coach this past season significantly lowered my trust in him. And if my trust in Shafer is low, and the best thing we can say about his latest OC choice is that Shafer trusts him, well...

I can tell you're pretty proud of yourself with that one. I like how McDonald wasn't so hot over a season and a half and that inflicted "damage" on the program, while Hackett was given two years of low performance so he could "help build the program."

Look, I'm hoping Lester works out. But you're lying if you looked at McDonald's and Lester's resumes side by side with the names removed and said Lester was the smart play. McDonald was exactly the right gamble to make, but it didn't work out. There is zero reason on paper to believe Lester's going to get this right - Cool Kid had some pedigree at least. We're left with nothing more than our trust in Shafer that Lester is going to do the job. Realistically, he may have the weakest OC resume in P5.

So if you want to talk about the great wisdom some have knowing "where to put their trust," yeah, I will 100% own up to my feeling that Shafer's performance as a head coach this past season significantly lowered my trust in him. And if my trust in Shafer is low, and the best thing we can say about his latest OC choice is that Shafer trusts him, well...

Touchy, aren't we?

Must be the rotten eggs.

No, I recall it quite well, and I actually have referenced that post in the past here as something I whiffed on: http://syracusefan.com/threads/why-did-mcdonald-rub-people-the-wrong-way.81164/#post-1155864

Geez Go, I'm even ahead of you when it comes to making fun of myself.

But, really, it seems we're both bored tonight, so let's have a real discussion.

You said "Some of us have a better sense of where to put our trust than others." Clearly you wanted to jab at the In Cool Kid We Trust meme. And that's fair and didn't work out. But where is it that you're saying "some of us" are smarter to be putting our trust? Is it Shafer? What have we seen that suggests we can trust him to have a complete football team? Is it Lester? What about Lester's achievements suggests that he's going to improve the offense? In my eyes, we have a weak resume for the level he's coaching at, and things went about as bad as they possibly could have once he was handed the keys. So where is this trust coming from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom