What's Worse? Anger or Apathy? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What's Worse? Anger or Apathy?

I'm still angry and disappointed. I'm not angry at the team. I'm somewhat angry at the HC and his assistants, but not to the point where I am calling for their immediate dismissal.

I am perhaps angriest at past members of the AD's office, the chancellor's office and certain members of the BOT who have refused to commit the resources necessary for Syracuse University to compete at a true BCS/P5 level. I'm not painting with a broad brush, but we have a rough idea who the individuals have been who have given lukewarm support to the football program and those who have mismanaged the resources the program has been given.

I do know this, if Scott Shafer is given his walking papers and we hire on the cheap again I'm done with SU until we admit that what we really aspire to is FCS football. When that happens I'll probably come back to cheer on the Orange against Fordham, Colgate and Holy Cross.
Fordham, Colgate, and Holy Cross are joining the ACC?

I'm still angry and disappointed. I'm not angry at the team. I'm somewhat angry at the HC and his assistants, but not to the point where I am calling for their immediate dismissal.

I am perhaps angriest at past members of the AD's office, the chancellor's office and certain members of the BOT who have refused to commit the resources necessary for Syracuse University to compete at a true BCS/P5 level. I'm not painting with a broad brush, but we have a rough idea who the individuals have been who have given lukewarm support to the football program and those who have mismanaged the resources the program has been given.

I do know this, if Scott Shafer is given his walking papers and we hire on the cheap again I'm done with SU until we admit that what we really aspire to is FCS football. When that happens I'll probably come back to cheer on the Orange against Fordham, Colgate and Holy Cross.
At some point does the Acc look at us like the big east did with temple. Or does the basketball team mean that much to them that they deal with a bad football team to have a good basketball team. As much as basketball around here is great it doesn't bring the money on that football does.

grief.png

At some point does the Acc look at us like the big east did with temple. Or does the basketball team mean that much to them that they deal with a bad football team to have a good basketball team. As much as basketball around here is great it doesn't bring the money on that football does.
No. Simple as that.

Cusefan78 said:

Come on...

Usually with a loss like this it will ruin the rest of my evening but I didn't even really care tonight and it's not because it's Halloween.

We are getting dangerously close to GERG level apathy, folks.
You are not describing "apathy." You are just accustomed to losing. If you were "apathetic," you would not be watching the games or posting to a message board.

Another way to look at this is to ask what is our responsibility to the ACC?
We were brought in, presumably, to be a productive member. There's no question we do that in hoops, but football is the big game in town.

The conference will always have some better teams and some worse, but it's not good when one of their own is a consistent poor performer and potential doormat of all of division 1 football.

We get a lot of money as a member. We owe it to the ACC (and of course we, the fans) to field a quality football team.

OrangeSky said:
Another way to look at this is to ask what is our responsibility to the ACC? We were brought in, presumably, to be a productive member. There's no question we do that in hoops, but football is the big game in town. The conference will always have some better teams and some worse, but it's not good when one of their own is a consistent poor performer and potential doormat of all of division 1 football. We get a lot of money as a member. We owe it to the ACC (and of course we, the fans) to field a quality football team.

I think FSU and Clemson like having us on their schedule.

Ya, I'm watching Temple, FING TEMPLE, ranked in the top 20 playing Notre Dame in prime time . I'm angry, but drifting towards apathy.
I agree with you OO. It never gets better. Yesterday was a disaster for me sports wise. First SU stunk it up. I couldn't believe when 4 0r 5 SU players couldn't bring down James Patrick. It looked like FSU was playing against a high school JV team that had skipped the "learning how to tackle" drills in preseason camp.

Later went to a Halloween party where the host, a Rutgers grad told me it must be difficult to be a SU fan. He said it hurt him to watch the game. Yuk - A Rutgers grad felling sorry for me. Double yuk

Got home from the party and saw the Mets were beating the Royals. Then watched them blow the game. Yuk

Switched to Temple - Notre Dame. Temple doing great then they lose the game. Yuk

Starting watching Stanford - Washington State. Washington State beating Stanford. Then they lose at the last second. Yuk.

Every game I watched, the team I wanted to win lost. I hate to turn on the TV. As soon as I watch my team will lose.

This is a great post. Money fixes most problems in college athletics. Is the university going to open the wallet on its next HC hire or will it go cheap? We were in the same situation in the 1970s and got bailed out by the Dome and admin ready to commit to the program. We need the same commitment again.

Spending real money is also necessary to offset the reputational hit from firing Shafer after a few seasons. The more times you turnover the head coach position, the harder it becomes to attract the top talent because we all want stability in our work. Any good coach will want 5 years to build his program. How do we get around that catch-22? Easy - pay them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom