When Christmas fouled out | Syracusefan.com

When Christmas fouled out

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
and BMK had four fouls, how many of you were honestly rooting for him to get one more? Things were somewhat comfortable by that point, so as much as I hate to admit it, I was. I wanted to finally see Grant at the 5 spot. If he was able to hold his own, JB may have been more inclined to try him again in short spurts when not required to by necessity. Either way, I thought it might be an interesting treat we were in for in the closing moments.

No. I trust JB, if he felt comfortable with Grant at the 5, we would have seen it in small segments the past few games, but we haven't. I doubt we'll ever see him at the 5.

This was not good that those guys almost fouled out both Rak and Keita. Keita was terrible.

Dismal effort from the 5 spot again. 40 min, 9 fouls and 5 boards. I was hoping for the same thing but then i realized that JB is hard headed and not going to do something that is so obvious. He would rather go down with the ship as is.

and BMK had four fouls, how many of you were honestly rooting for him to get one more? Things were somewhat comfortable by that point, so as much as I hate to admit it, I was. I wanted to finally see Grant at the 5 spot. If he was able to hold his own, JB may have been more inclined to try him again in short spurts when not required to by necessity. Either way, I thought it might be an interesting treat we were in for in the closing moments.

I dont ever want Grant at the 5 spot.

You cant just throw an idea against the wall and hope it sticks. He doesnt practice at the 5 so why do people think he all of a sudden would make a good 5? I never got that part.

More likely it will be Fair at the "5". Maybe Grant comes in at the 4 or he reintroduces that dreaded 3 guard lineup with Cooney.

More likely it will be Fair at the "5". Maybe Grant comes in at the 4 or he reintroduces that dreaded 3 guard lineup with Cooney.

I agree and have said this too. If anyone is playing the 5 if and when the 2 bigs foul out its CJ.

This was not good that those guys almost fouled out both Rak and Keita. Keita was terrible.

No it wasn't, and the way Batts played and looked against ND, our 5's are likely in for another huge challege Wednesday night. The team as well, for that matter, as Providence is playing extremely well. It's frustrating to see that our 5's just do not seem to be improving at all, neither offensively nor defensively. Just the same 'ol same 'ol...

I agree and have said this too. If anyone is playing the 5 if and when the 2 bigs foul out its CJ.

Spot on. The 5 is the absolute key to what we do defensively--can't throw somebody into that spot who isn't familiar with their role. In a crisis situation, he's more apt to trust CJ to man that spot, which would at least enable Grant to play his familiar defensive role at crunch time.

Grant is all of a sudden Superman. I know Grant is athletic and seems to have a reasonably high basketball IQ, but he is a freshman. He is starting to look good in the position he has been practicing in all season. What makes you think, as an undersized player, he can simply change positions and not look 100x more lost out there than RAK and Baye do at times. Presumably JB has seen enough in practice that he doesn't need to experiment with this in games.

Anyone know what injury Rak has? Jim Satalin mentioned it in the postgame on the radio but didnt expand on that.

Anyone know what injury Rak has? Jim Satalin mentioned it in the postgame on the radio but didnt expand on that.

Brent Axe said in his article that it was a leg injury but didnt expand.

I dont ever want Grant at the 5 spot.

You cant just throw an idea against the wall and hope it sticks. He doesnt practice at the 5 so why do people think he all of a sudden would make a good 5? I never got that part.
My objection to it is that it seems so shortsighted. We will have Rak, BMK, and DC2 later just this year. Next year we add Chino to the mix. That is the most flush we have been with 5's probably ever.

I can understand wanting JG to get more time. The guy has shown flashes and it is fun watching players develop. But please lets have him get it at the forward spot, that is JGs future. So, if a short term emergency arises now, I agree with you, the smart play is to move CJ over and have JG play the spot he is going to inherit.

My objection to it is that it seems so shortsighted. We will have Rak, BMK, and DC2 later just this year. Next year we add Chino to the mix. That is the most flush we have been with 5's probably ever.

I can understand wanting JG to get more time. The guy has shown flashes and it is fun watching players develop. But please lets have him get it at the forward spot, that is JGs future. So, if a short term emergency arises now, I agree with you, the smart play is to move CJ over and have JG play the spot he is going to inherit.

No doubt that is his future.

What I cant understand is that when CJ plays like he did last night and James is making shots, why would you want to put Grant in? Just so he gets minutes? We are fighting for a BE title and you go with what will give you the best chance to win. There will be games this year where JG does get called and will play extended minutes. It just wont be every game.

No doubt that is his future.

What I cant understand is that when CJ plays like he did last night and James is making shots, why would you want to put Grant in? Just so he gets minutes? We are fighting for a BE title and you go with what will give you the best chance to win. There will be games this year where JG does get called and will play extended minutes. It just wont be every game.
i can understand people wanting to see players develop, i like it too. I think that is why JB is now going to start Grant, to insure he gets at least some time even in the tight important games. Getting the start ussd to be an honor, JB is not totally dissing Grant out of some personal vendetta.

JB has shown time and time again that he will go with his trusted people in close, important games. Grant in the future will be one of those people. He will have earned JBs trust by putting in his dues and applying himself.

People think this is tricky, wait two years. Grant, Roberson, McCollough and BJ (and maybe Rak). That will be a tough balancing act.

imo grant should be eating up southerlands minutes when he's ice cold outside. dirty is plain atrocious on the D end.

imo grant should be eating up southerlands minutes when he's ice cold outside. dirty is plain atrocious on the D end.
This. Grant is already as good if not better than southerland at defense and rebounding.
southerland gave up 2 threes at around the 7 minute mark that let sh back in it.
When we are up 7-10pts w 5 minutes to go, and d and rebounding are more important, why not give grant a few minutes?
I know it wont happen, and i trust jb has his reasons. (i didnt c the 1st half last night). It's just something i would like to see.I
This isnt soccer, he can always put the players he subs out back in the game if it doesnt work out.

Well thats good in theory but James hasnt been ice cold since he have been back. He is 10-25 from three post return which isnt bad.

well last night in 35 minutes he was only 4-12 from the floor and 0-2 at the line. that's only mildly tepid.oh and his D sucks.

well last night in 35 minutes he was only 4-12 from the floor and 0-2 at the line. that's only mildly tepid.oh and his D sucks.

I think maybe the point is that unless James is smoking hot from 3, he isn't so much better than Grant that he needs to play every available minute. You don't have to denigrate James to make that point.

It isn't like you're talking about the difference between senior year Andy Rautins and this years' Cooney when comparing James to Jerami.

I am not sure there is a guy on our team this year that is so head and shoulders above everyone else that he needs to play 38 minutes. Yes, there are some games, like with BT last night, where a guy should get 35-40 minutes, because you should ride the hot hand. But there are no Melos or Wallaces on this team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom