When do we acknowledge that injuries are part of | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When do we acknowledge that injuries are part of

Didn't Doug Marrone recruit Terrel Hunt to Syracuse? Wasn't Hunt the QB that Shafer used in 2013?
Shafer was 14-23 and hired to continue the momentum he failed and was rightfully fired last year.
I guess you would have fired a coach for going 12-20-1 too. That was Dick McPherson in his first three years. The next three weren't all that much better. One thing i know for certain, if we keep replacing coaches every 3 or 4 years. we will never get back.

lol Did you watch the games? Do you think Hunt was a d-1 qb? Could he have played qb for any team in the ACC? Shafer winning 7 games with him is something for Shafer should brag about.
So now Terrel Hunt wasn't a P5 QB? Okay. Hunt had a pretty decent year and if
you remember in 2013 we had an elite running game led by Jerome Smith.
Shafer was 14-23 and didn't recruit well. The fact you defend him is awesome though. The rest of the ACC beyond Wake Forest loved Shafer being the SU HC.
Also what Shafer did to his QB recruit at Louisville is why his career could be
Over. He should have been fired after 2014 season and that ISIS press conference.

I guess you would have fired a coach for going 12-20-1 too. That was Dick McPherson in his first three years. The next three weren't all that much better. One thing i know for certain, if we keep replacing coaches every 3 or 4 years. we will never get back.
Yeah because the 1980s relates to now.
TV money now is insane so if SU had the money it had now maybe Mac gets sacked. Also back then we owned NJ. We pulled elite athletes out of NJ all he time.
There was no Rutgers or UConn either.'
Shafer was no Mac.
Are you okay? You relentless defense of Shafer has me worried. His 3 years set
us back 3 years.
Where are the upperclassmen on this roster? Beyond Brisly Estime we aren't
Losing a senior from Shafer I would want back.

So now Terrel Hunt wasn't a P5 QB? Okay. Hunt had a pretty decent year and if
you remember in 2013 we had an elite running game led by Jerome Smith.
Shafer was 14-23 and didn't recruit well. The fact you defend him is awesome though. The rest of the ACC beyond Wake Forest loved Shafer being the SU HC.
Also what Shafer did to his QB recruit at Louisville is why his career could be
Over. He should have been fired after 2014 season and that ISIS press conference.
I defend him because I can see the long view. Not the next quarter. I don;t think Scott got a fair shake here. Having said that, there was a lot I didn't like. He was terrible at clock management. And it's a valid point about the way he handled Dungey. having said all that, to suggest that he should have been fired for an ISIS statement during a press conference is moronic. Coaches say dumb things all the time at Press conferences. For most of them, it's not their thing. you weren't around in the late 70's and early 80's. everyone, and I mean everyone, went after JB. He didn't get past the sweet 16 for a decade. But I didn't. Now, if you ask me, dasher, who would you rather have as head coach at syracuse, babers or Shafer, the answer is 100% Babers. I love his offense and he seems to have more of a plan and is in more control of the program. That is different than thinking you should fire a coach after 3 years (Greg Robinson being an exception). It takes time in football because you need so many players. I will now give Babers that time. Let's see if everyone else will. Oh, and he has to scrap that piece of crap defense he uses. This isn't the MAC he is playing against.

that is what bnoro said. He said bigger schools are calling our guys. Let's hope they stick.
When we lose players let me know. Our best offensive player this year was brought in by Dino.
Also you clearly didn't watch the BC game. We dominated that game. We moved the ball all game long. BC scored 2 TDs on flukes a KO TD and a fluke 75 yard TD blown assignment. We dominated Boston College. We also never trailed against UConn.
Another year of Shafer only delays the inevitable firing this year.

Yeah because the 1980s relates to now.
TV money now is insane so if SU had the money it had now maybe Mac gets sacked. Also back then we owned NJ. We pulled elite athletes out of NJ all he time.
There was no Rutgers or UConn either.'
Shafer was no Mac.
Are you okay? You relentless defense of Shafer has me worried. His 3 years set
us back 3 years.
Where are the upperclassmen on this roster? Beyond Brisly Estime we aren't
Losing a senior from Shafer I would want back.
I'm fine. As I said yesterday, I am more than worried you. Is a board intervention needed?

When we lose players let me know. Our best offensive player this year was brought in by Dino.
Also you clearly didn't watch the BC game. We dominated that game. We moved the ball all game long. BC scored 2 TDs on flukes a KO TD and a fluke 75 yard TD blown assignment. We dominated Boston College. We also never trailed against UConn.
What was the final scores of those games that we dominated? We had to have a goal line stand at the end to beat hapless UConn.

Our best player this year, this staff had no idea how good he was. Neither did the staff that he left. And by the way, that player gives 100% of the credit to the qb's that Shafer brought in.

a fluke blown assignment? Some might call that coaching. Seems we have a lot of those. 11 tds on 59 plays vs Pitt.

I defend him because I can see the long view. Not the next quarter. I don;t think Scott got a fair shake here. Having said that, there was a lot I didn't like. He was terrible at clock management. And it's a valid point about the way he handled Dungey. having said all that, to suggest that he should have been fired for an ISIS statement during a press conference is moronic. Coaches say dumb things all the time at Press conferences. For most of them, it's not their thing. you weren't around in the late 70's and early 80's. everyone, and I mean everyone, went after JB. He didn't get past the sweet 16 for a decade. But I didn't. Now, if you ask me, dasher, who would you rather have as head coach at syracuse, babers or Shafer, the answer is 100% Babers. I love his offense and he seems to have more of a plan and is in more control of the program. That is different than thinking you should fire a coach after 3 years (Greg Robinson being an exception). It takes time in football because you need so many players. I will now give Babers that time. Let's see if everyone else will. Oh, and he has to scrap that piece of crap defense he uses. This isn't the MAC he is playing against.
Comparing anything to JB doesn't work. That was pre-64 team tournament. JB is SU hoops but he has made some Mistakes. Belichick and Brady get criticized still after all they have done. That is sports.

Shafer didn't get a raw deal. He hit the lottery getting the job when he did.
No P5 school was on the verge of hiring him as a HC. Hell he wasn't on the radar of MAC teams. When you get the job like that you don't get a long rope.

a fluke blown assignment? Some might call that coaching. Seems we have a lot of those. 11 tds on 59 plays vs Pitt.
Did you watch the play I am talking about? Zaire Franklin who is our best defender shot the wrong gap and it turned a 8 yard play into a 70 yard play.
I call that what it is a fluke missed assignment. BC did nothing offensively that game beyond that fluke. Our pass D isn't good but it was lockdown good against BC.

What was the final scores of those games that we dominated? We had to have a goal line stand at the end to beat hapless UConn.
That goal line stand was mid 4th quarter.
We took the ball 99 yards and went up 14 with 3 min left and They scored a garbage time TD.

With Scott Shafer as HC I believe we lose to UConn. AET gave us the lead and iced that game.

Comparing anything to JB doesn't work. That was pre-64 team tournament. JB is SU hoops but he has made some Mistakes. Belichick and Brady get criticized still after all they have done. That is sports.

Shafer didn't get a raw deal. He hit the lottery getting the job when he did.
No P5 school was on the verge of hiring him as a HC. Hell he wasn't on the radar of MAC teams. When you get the job like that you don't get a long rope.
you have no idea what it was like when jb got the job. I was at Syracuse. The same applies to JB. No big time program was on the verge of hiring jb. He got the job for one reason and one reason only. Rosie Bouie. He could get him to go to Syracuse. That is it. As for Belichick, he deserves some criticism that he doesn't get. Not calling at time out when Seattle was down at the goal line was a major league error in coaching. He was fortunate that Seattle made one even worse.

That goal line stand was mid 4th quarter.
We took the ball 99 yards and went up 14 with 3 min left and They scored a garbage time TD.
They score that td and it is anyone's game. And they suck.

Did you watch the play I am talking about? Zaire Franklin who is our best defender shot the wrong gap and it turned a 8 yard play into a 70 yard play.
I call that what it is a fluke missed assignment. BC did nothing offensively that game beyond that fluke. Our pass D isn't good but it was lockdown good against BC.
Our pass d against B.C.. I could outpass that B.C. qb. And oh by the way, they won two ACC games. And they suck. I've got to go. Talk to you later.

you have no idea what it was like when jb got the job. I was at Syracuse. The same applies to JB. No big time program was on the verge of hiring jb. He got the job for one reason and one reason only. Rosie Bouie. He could get him to go to Syracuse. That is it. As for Belichick, he deserves some criticism that he doesn't get. Not calling at time out when Seattle was down at the goal line was a major league error in coaching. He was fortunate that Seattle made one even worse.
Again 1970s college hoops is not the same as 2010s hoops.
JB deserves way more criticism than Belichick. 4 rings vs. 1 ring does that.
Our half court offense has been stagnant way too long. Those Final Fours could have cut down the nets if our offense was better.
Belichick is as lucky for what a Seattle did as Boeheim was for Kansas FT shooting in 2003.

not so much worried about the big schools that come calling. We're still selling playing time and lots of it. Hopefully that'll be our problem in a few years, but for now, it many positions there is opportunity to contribute right away.

Dino has enough of his template laid down on tape where recruits should get excited to play in the system.

the game and not complain about it every year as if our program is cursed in this area or somehow it's the fault of the S&C guy. If you roll out smaller inferior athletes versus bigger and better ones you also increase the risk of injury.. That said, they will always exist every year and are not an excuse for such poor performance

The problem is lack of quality depth.

When a guy at Alabama goes down, another five-star steps in for him.

That is where we need to improve - we need better quality depth.

the game and not complain about it every year as if our program is cursed in this area or somehow it's the fault of the S&C guy. If you roll out smaller inferior athletes versus bigger and better ones you also increase the risk of injury.. That said, they will always exist every year and are not an excuse for such poor performance

Yep. It's this.

That's why we need to stick with a decent coach who can recruit for a while.

It was a much different time back in 1976 when JB replaced Roy Danforth. Football was still king on the Hill and Les Dye, not a particularly strong AD was the titular head of the department.

Boeheim got the job that spring because he was the primary recruiter for both Roosevelt Bouie and Cliff Warwell, who, at the time, was being heralded as another Julius Erving. And, many have said that JB was the primary coaching force on the staff - that Danforth was the outside man. So, it made a lot of sense to elevate him to HC.

I remember the Hardwood Club Dinner held at LeMoyne Manor right after JB was hired - we all felt at the time that as an after-dinner speaker Coach Boeheim was no Roy Danforth. In fact, Rick Pitino spoke that night and knocked it out of the park.

injuries and bad calls happen to every team. don't hang your woes on that which you don't control. build a system to rise up and overcome ill fate.

Agree, i thought we held up well. 2 things, without depth, you play your 1's to the max and with fatigue comes increase risk of injury. Also, there isnt a team in college of pro fb who can lose a starting qb and have it not have an affect on the entire team.