When is Cooney's moment to make a big play? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

When is Cooney's moment to make a big play?

Listen to Cooney answer the question about his two steals at the end. He simply says it was just in rotation (of the zone). As if it were not a big deal. Understatement of the night!

Neither him, nor Mike seem to love the panel interviews. lol "Eh, I just made the rotations." Yeah, no big deal, I do stuff.

I supervised refs although at a much lower level. Nonetheless, it is an unfortunate fact that many refs won't suppress the urge to make a blind call or an inconsistent call (aka a shitty call) because they feel the need to control the outcome of the game, to be the center of attention. Sad but true.
Ego. Hard to eradicate from the man in control. Right on.

Listen to Cooney answer the question about his two steals at the end. He simply says it was just in rotation (of the zone). As if it were not a big deal. Understatement of the night!

I watched it all again last night. Cooney was out at the elbow near Wiltjer when the Zags player drove the baseline on the opposite side. You could see him following the play and simply cutting off that pass. It was a terrific read, and found myself thinking, "Wow! He got all the way from the elbow to the corner to cut that off." And I don't think it was a "regular rotation." He made a terrific play and was just being his usual humble self.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been asked/mentioned before, but was last night the best game of Trevor's career?

I will say this: JB has been lavishing Mike with gushing praise following each of the last 3 games and deservedly so...but... he should be doing the same for Trevor because he, although not as talented as Mike, has left every ounce of himself out on those game floors and he is the true heart of this team IMHO.

True enough, but no amount of pimping is going to get Trevor drafted. Mike, on the other hand ...:cool:

I'm sure this has been asked/mentioned before, but was last night the best game of Trevor's career?

I'd say it was one of the more complete games. He's had much better offensive games obviously, but he really did it on both ends, especially in the second half. Didn't force bad looks (no hero ball), drove the ball well, and made some huge plays defensively at the end. I'd argue he didn't respect their shooters enough in the first half, but he made up for it in the end.

Never even thought of that.. but good point. You think he continues on? Are there really ever repercussions tho for bad calls? Never hear of them.
The bad call was not from the ref who called it but by the lead ref who let him. The lead ref had the angle so should have made the call. Also consider that even from one end of the end line to the other, the lead ref may have been of the same opinion, so didn't bother to change it. It was only by benefit of replay does the reality appear. And that is helped by zooming in. I have always maintained the all replays (football, baseball and basketball) should be run at normal speed with minimal zoom. The calls are made instantancely by humans and that is the away it should be continued.

The bad call was not from the ref who called it but by the lead ref who let him. The lead ref had the angle so should have made the call. Also consider that even from one end of the end line to the other, the lead ref may have been of the same opinion, so didn't bother to change it. It was only by benefit of replay does the reality appear. And that is helped by zooming in. I have always maintained the all replays (football, baseball and basketball) should be run at normal speed with minimal zoom. The calls are made instantancely by humans and that is the away it should be continued.

He didn't see it. And it was on his line and hew knew it. If he did see it, he comes along the baseline with authority, and several "Tweet! Tweet! Tweet!" short hard blasts, with his hand in the air, but making no signal. He goes straight to ref who made the call and tells him he clearly saw Cooney did not step out. Then they both nod their heads (for the crowd, etc - true! :cool:) and lead (because it's his line) then points in SU's direction. But he didn't do that, and that's how I know he didn't see it. IMHO, anyway.

Ghost said:
Neither him, nor Mike seem to love the panel interviews. lol "Eh, I just made the rotations." Yeah, no big deal, I do stuff.

Yea, you see either of them interview with a Matt Park and they're all smiles. These NCAA interviews they just put up with. The time between the guy saying that's it, and Cooney standing up, was .001 seconds timed electronically.

Hats off to both the seniors. They put this team on their back and willed them to victory. Cooney's play especially makes me hopeful that we can hang with UVA. It's about time for Richardson to shake his slump too.

His 3 down 9 in the 2nd half probably was the biggest shot of the game, if that doesn't go down, who knows what would have happened.
That was a gargantuan shot. They were on a roll and we were struggling at that point. I can't see us winning without that shot. Big ups to Cooney

As the play happened in real time, you could see the pass about to happen and it was wide open... may sound like an exaggeration, but Cooney closing that gap and making the play reminded me of "THE BLOCK" in '03 championship game. Great read/reaction.

I agree because on the replay you can see how far he rotated to get in position for that. He started out past the top of key!

Ringostar57 said:
Conney has been the second coming of Larry Loudis

Ok, I know Larry but I'm not getting the Cooney connection.

I havent read this whole thread yet, but I am so proud of Cooney. I have no idea if he has a clue the people think about him(or say on here), but that last second steal and epic NFL WR sideline-esque foot discipline was something in sport that reminds me of excellence in gymnastics, and precision not normally seen in college basketball. Absolutely a play of beauty, and something that belongs in One Shining Moment. Heroic, if not for a bad call.

If Syracuse continues far enough, I think it could still make it with a flash to the call(even though it may not, due to them not wanting to embarrass the refs). Does anyone else think that play belongs in the One Shining Moment montage? I mean that should have been close to the definition of One Shining Moment, when you consider the reaming Trevor's had on here this year. His heart was in overdrive, and it told his body what to do without conscious thought. I'm still blown away by all aspects of that play...including the call.

That play was the closest thing i can think of to the Derek Jeter 2001 ALDS "flip" play. No reason for either of them to be there.

Yea, you see either of them interview with a Matt Park and they're all smiles. These NCAA interviews they just put up with. The time between the guy saying that's it, and Cooney standing up, was .001 seconds timed electronically.

lolol...it really was! He was ready to go.

I don't blame them. Mike and Trevor have been asked the same stupid questions before and after every game by the national media in this tournament. It's usually something about the zone and something about JAB's suspension. Lazy repeated questions from the media every presser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom