When is Cooney's moment to make a big play? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When is Cooney's moment to make a big play?

I have been critical of his play, as many know. I never make personal attacks, and I defenUnd him to a lot of my friends honestly. That said, today he played his heart out and was a huge contributor to a winning effort. Unlike what some people think others might want (true or not), I don't root for players to not succeed.

The guy who made the call was "middle" on that play. So he made the call on the baseline from about the foul line extended. And it's not even his line. That is "lead's" line.
So because he made the call it could not be reviewed? I'm just confused about what was going on there.

As the play happened in real time, you could see the pass about to happen and it was wide open... may sound like an exaggeration, but Cooney closing that gap and making the play reminded me of "THE BLOCK" in '03 championship game. Great read/reaction.

Seniors make plays like that. Great read, especially at that moment. It's almost like Cooney suckered him :)

Notre Dame is still in the tourney...Cooney is the ND killer. Could have a huge game left in him.

I have to be honest. When we were reeling, I was saying JB should lift him for Frankie. I felt like our offense was out of sorts and we needed our only true PG in the game. TC was huge, especially on the defensive end, but his three pointer kept us in reach. Kudos to Cooney! That crow tastes yummy.

I was frustrated by Cooney's play the last few games of the season. However, I am very happy for him in this game. This game is how he will be remembered. I can't even remember any game this season before tonight other than beating Duke at Duke. And winning Atlantis (that was cool). Cooney play well.

I was steaming! That ref guessed at the most critical juncture of the game. It was one of the most unprofessional calls I can remember.

edit: "We don't guess. We just don't freaking guess!" Repeat!

The only call he really had from that angle was the foul! Great comment my friend. I agree completely. This ref better be heading out to vacation now.

The call was blown, and as the announcers were confirming it was irrefutable, I sat there wondering just what they were going to reverse that call into? Syracuse ball out of bounds? How do you call that - the ball (or player) never went out? Foul on Gonzaga? How do you call that, the whistle blew before the foul(s) was given?

I was skeptical of a reversal simply because I do not know how the refs could correct that mistake at that juncture.

Dave85 said:
I was frustrated by Cooney's play the last few games of the season. However, I am very happy for him in this game. This game is how he will be remembered. I can't even remember any game this season before tonight other than beating Duke at Duke. And winning Atlantis (that was cool). Cooney play well.

Sleep through the MTSU game or missed the Dayton game?

As the play happened in real time, you could see the pass about to happen and it was wide open... may sound like an exaggeration, but Cooney closing that gap and making the play reminded me of "THE BLOCK" in '03 championship game. Great read/reaction.

Bit of an exaggeration, but I also saw the pass coming and the open look and was thinking, "Not like this..." I couldn't believe he made it over in time.

Ironically, I was thinking "Not like this," for the next couple minutes too until Lydon swatted that ish out of there.

I will say this: JB has been lavishing Mike with gushing praise following each of the last 3 games and deservedly so...but... he should be doing the same for Trevor because he, although not as talented as Mike, has left every ounce of himself out on those game floors and he is the true heart of this team IMHO.

Confession: When Cooney missed the layup when we were down 6 with a few minutes left, I started to slip into the "ah yes, 'typical' Cooney" thought zone, even though he played well the whole game. I'm glad that miss was not a back breaker, both for his sake and the sake of this board!

That dork who made the call was not in position to make that call, and worse it wasn't his line. It was lead's line. He edited himself out of the next round with that blown call.
My man with a ref critique!

I supervised refs although at a much lower level. Nonetheless, it is an unfortunate fact that many refs won't suppress the urge to make a blind call or an inconsistent call (aka a shitty call) because they feel the need to control the outcome of the game, to be the center of attention. Sad but true.

He said it isn't reviewable since the ball disn't go out of bounds. That being said, why did they stop and look at it all, then? Absolutely horrible call that wasn't even his to make. I hope he gets reamed by his boss.
They explained they were looking at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom