When JB retires... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

When JB retires...

It really doesn't matter.

After Hop's first loss, people will complain that it was the wrong defense.

More than likely they will complain after his first win as well.

Pretty sure the teams he was on in the early 90's played man.
They played a good mix of zone and man in that era, but definitely a lot of man. The zone really started as a primary defense in '96. None of the guards were quick (Sims, Cipolla, Janulius), and he found the zone to be a good equalizer to give that particular team its best chance. After the success of that team, especially really limiting Kansas and Kentucky (Delk notwithstanding), I think he spotted weaknesses in how other teams played against it to think he should go to it full time, and really improved on it form there.

This is why Hopkins will only play zone out of respect to JB
thats got to be the stupidest thing ever.

if hop plays zone 'out of respect for JB' he needs to be fired before halftime of his 1st game.

he should coach whatever way he feels he can coach best, will get the most out of his team and which will result in me watching a fluckin championship.

if hes not doing that, then hes a moron and SU hoops has made a horrible decision to give this program to a whimp with no backbone.

good lord if he answers 1 question about his style with 'out of respect to JB' i will Jack Ruby him myself.

Oh Lord

tire-flat-close-up-200lm100209

When JB re tires... will it be as a result of the pot holes? Or the treads are all gone? Or will he trade with plenty of mileage to spare?

Wow. Does this mean you believe Hop should retain the zone?

It's not an all-or-nothing proposition. Post-JB, there is no human or EBE alive that will exclusively zone. Hop will stay true to his personality, which means a mix of a variety of defenses. He will demand hustle on both ends of the court. He will liberally go to his bench, and he won't rest his stars on defense. Prehistoric trunk monkey will also be retired in favor of a more structured full-court press.

At the end of the day, though, he needs to win.

and mike hopkins next head coaching win will also be his first. he's gotta be 40 something right?

thats got to be the stupidest thing ever.

if hop plays zone 'out of respect for JB' he needs to be fired before halftime of his 1st game.

he should coach whatever way he feels he can coach best, will get the most out of his team and which will result in me watching a fluckin championship.

if hes not doing that, then hes a moron and SU hoops has made a horrible decision to give this program to a whimp with no backbone.

good lord if he answers 1 question about his style with 'out of respect to JB' i will Jack Ruby him myself.

Oh Lord

great post, agree 100%

It's not an all-or-nothing proposition. Post-JB, there is no human or EBE alive that will exclusively zone. Hop will stay true to his personality, which means a mix of a variety of defenses. He will demand hustle on both ends of the court. He will liberally go to his bench, and he won't rest his stars on defense. Prehistoric trunk monkey will also be retired in favor of a more structured full-court press.

At the end of the day, though, he needs to win.

I would be quite surprised if any of these things doesn't come to pass. Hopkins is a lot less conservative than Boeheim. I doubt he'll be as successful as far as wins and losses go, but we're going to see a much more diverse sort of basketball. Hope he's got the players for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom